“Nice setting but over priced not as grand as it makes out to be”

Rowley Manor Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Little Weighton
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

Recently stayed for one night at a cost of £100! . Entrance and reception quite welcoming room was small and bathroom from the seventies. Breakfast was served by a young lady who had the charm and charisma of the average house brick.
Have stayed in hundreds of hotels with work and would put this in the £60/70 bracket 100 way too much

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Hjshop

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I feel most people leaving reviews are wearing rose tinted glasses and have not stayed in any good quality hotels. We stayed at the hotel using travelzoo offer which seemed reasonable when looking at the website. However, the reality was not the dream. The building and location certainly has plenty of charm but it stops at the outside.
After a perilous journey from Market Weighton end, (where the sat nav sent us up a dirt track around a quarry which you needed a 4x4 to negotiate, we turned around after part of our car's under carriage was left on the track!) we were greeted with an overflowing ash tray and plenty of cigarette butts littering the door way like confetti!
The decor throughout the hotel is shabby and very dated. The customer service at reception was very surly and disinterested. Our room, no 16, although a good view, had paper thin curtains, an olive toilet and sink and no bath. The furniture was not pratical and a perplexing mix. The information in the room was scant and unprofessional. The walls are wafer thin so we were entertained by the room next door's tv watching into the late night.
Onto the meal . . .We had to remind the barman to give us our complimentary glass of bubbly. We were sat at table 3 which was next to a wall heater which was on full cooking both myself and my husband to the extent that we moved tables for dessert and made us both feel poorly and uncomfortable from the heat. I cannot believe the meal price is £32 - outrageous - it was nothing better than a sunday lunch at a pub. The hotel is obviously obsessed with being warm so would be ideal for naturists as it feels like a sauna everywhere.
Overall not worth the money. Top tips to the hotel - refurbish the hotel to keep the character but with fresher furniture, improve the customer service - after all the customer is king and improve first impressions they are the success of a visit. Fawlty Towers comes to mind - charming but I'd go somewhere else where customer service is their key priority.
ps Also horrified on departure that all the fire doors were propped open with fire extinguishers! A true no no in terms of fire safety.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I stayed at Rowley Manor on 3rd November last year, My card was charged at £131.30 when the attached bill clearly showed the charge at £131.30.

I drew this to the attention of the management, by letter when I arrived home, and included a copy of their bill - but there was no response.

I am off to Huill again this afternoon - and am not staying at Rowley. It was not such a memorable experience that I was in any way inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank stevewharris
Reviewed 30 April 2012

We bought a 2 night stay via Groupon. The hotel website looked fine and the comments on Trip Advisor were positive. Our voucher claimed to be worth £297!!! This included a four poster bed...if available and a champagne breakfast. We checked in and struggled up to the top floor. Our room was very small and shabby. We went straight down to reception and complained about the poor state of the room. We were shown a second room that was a little larger and cleaner but still shabby. We were told the hotel was full and this was the only room available. These rooms were nothing like the photos on line. The gentleman on reception suggested we had our glass of champagne instead of having it with breakfast. He very kindly brought 2 glasses to our room. He could see how disappointed we were. My husband and I were not expecting 5 star and we certainly did not get it. We dined at a lovely pub in the village that night and the food was first rate and very reasonably priced. After a poor sleep in a low, soft, three quarter bed we went down to the dining room for breakfast. When the over cooked breakfast finally arrived, sadly, we were shocked yet again. Beware travellers!!!! This hotel needs to be avoided. Do not spend your money to stay at a place like this and be as disappointed as my husband and I.

Room Tip: Do not go!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Jax W
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Where to start bought 2 night stay with Travel zoo. Looked at their web site and it looked fine. Hotel is very tired Our encounter with the owners was that they were not interested in dealing with the public. We were in room 3 good size but very tired. One curtain wasn't attached to the rail so couldn't pull it properly bathroom door stuck, dusty surfaces and when we got into bed .the sheets although obviously laundered were stained so we turned the sheet around.
Menu was nothing like the menu on the website. 4 choices of main course and the only extra on the 'specials' was extra cost.Food was Ok but how they could think this was a £32 menu I don't know. We had to ask for the glass of fizz included in our deal and we were not offerred the olives also included.
This was repeated on the second night when we again had to ask for the drink. Menu was exactly the same as the previous night minus one pudding on the specials and the salmon and sweetcorn tart had changed to goats cheese . When we pointed out that the menu hadn't changed we were offered a different starter which we ordered and then were told that it had all been taken. I did get a different chicken dish but the veg was exactly the same as the night before minus the cheese sauce on the cauliflower.
Breakfast on the second day was a disaster we waited 45 mins for our cooked breakfast and then when others were being served and we asked what had happened were told they had lost our order but it did come as we had ordered without us having to repeat what we wanted ( poached eggs were hard and just warm.)
Checking out the bill was wrong we had extra coffee that we hadn't had and the wine was the wrong price After 3 attempts to pay by credit card it was still wrong and they had to give us a credit ( on getting home realised they still over charged us)
We did put our complaints to the manager who did not seem really interested and the owner who was in reception at the same time seemed even less interested. When we said we would not return the only comment we got was that was our prerogative.
Overall it was a very disappointing visit to what could be an interesting place.I think they are more interested in the wedding trade than normal visitors

Room Tip: couldn't say
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Barry B
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

I bought a two night stay here with champagne breakfast through a voucher offer for my partners birthday, we arrived and were met by a man who looked us up and down n saying oh it's a groupon... Room 17! So we went up to our room which was nothing like the photos online, old outdated bathroom suite and a filthy over bath shower head that we couldn't regulate the water temperature with. The room itself was not much larger than the double bed with some miss matched furniture round the edges all painted white to match. Later we realised the real problem with room 17, it was right above the front door, and next to 2 other doors, and also next to stairs, so all day was just one bang after another from doors and people on stairs. There is no way the hotel was full as there were only ten cars in drive and never more than four tables at breakfast time.
The breakfast and waiting staff in mornings were however lovely although we are still waiting on our champagne!
Never again! I'd rather hav a travel inn, at least then we wouldn't feel unwelcome and lower class.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank sonnals
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Rowlery Manor is a true Country Hotel and one of the best places we have ever stayed, where do I begin, Great Staff, Great food ,Log Fires cosy Bar, warm and welcoming, fully of charm, a well run Hotel, the only thing I can say to anyone reading this is to go for yourself YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED. I lookforward to returning within the month, Well done Rowley Manor.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5.5 km away
Best Western Willerby Manor Hotel
13.6 km away
Beverley Tickton Grange Hotel

Been to Rowley Manor Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!