“Best chinese restaurant”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I am bemused by the one negative review as the Peking Diner is my Chinese restaurant of choice and I travel from East London to eat there. However I wanted to go again before I wrote this review in case anything had changed. I have never eaten from the à la carte menu because the free choice buffet menu is so extensive. You can choose a selection of starters or just ask for a mixed platter. Crispy duck and/or lamb pancakes and soup are included in the deal, plus an extensive main course, rice and noodle selection (if you still have room). The quality has always been excellent and crucially is freshly cooked to order, not simmering away on a buffet. I am very happy to pay the ten per cent service charge which is added to the bill because I would add this anyway. On Saturday we paid £27 per head all inclusive which included two bottles of wine among three of us and bottomless chinese tea. The all-inclusive menu is one pound more expensive at weekends so this would have been £26 in the week.

3  Thank Mark C
There are newer reviews for Peking Diner

Reviewed 14 July 2012

I am shocked by the other reviews, this is the worst chinese restaurant I have ever been to.
The food in the main course was practically inedible.Maybe it was an off night, but I won't risk it by going to this restaurant again. I am shocked this is the highest rated restaurant in Bromley, Bromley has much better restaurants than this.
I think the "buffet" where you choose a dish and they bring it to your table is just a way of making you eat less food as they charge the same as proper buffets in other restaurants in Bromley when you can just eat and choose as much as you like.
Some of the starters were allright, like the pork ribs. The sticky chicken and salt and pepper prawns were fantastic. But the rest of the starters especially the vegetarian dishes and spring rolls were of a very low standard.
The main course dishes were substandard, the rice dishes practically inedible.
I chose chicken with black bean sauce which is my favourite and a fried rice with beef, pork and chicken in it, but this was the first time I could eat only half of the chicken dish that was offered because of the quality. The rice was dry and stodgy and the worst rice in a chinese restaurant I have had. We hardly had any of the first mains we ordered, so I ordered another mains dish and egg fried rice and the waitress seemed irritated that we had asked for another main even though it was a buffet. The second dish was also terrible and the rice was similar in taste to the first rice dish so I hardly had any, but because there was so much rice and food left on our table, I didn't feel comfortable asking for any more and we just requested the bill. My wife also ordered soup, which, although we have had much better, was tasty.
The decor of the restaurant was fine, one side, with the bamboo barriers is very beautiful.
The music was absolutely terrible, really, really cheesy tunes from the 70s and 80's like Agadoo!
The first waiter we had was one of the nicest waiters I have met, he could hardly speak english, but was very sweet and polite and had a good knowledge of the dishes. The second waitress looked quite irritated in general and more so when we ordered more, however, my wife felt it was more that she was just trying to understand what we were saying.
This restaurant was in Sundridge park, but I think Mandarin palace by Bromley town itself is in a different league, although they don't have buffets, so if you're into quantity more than quality, you may be disappointed.
This is the first time I have written a review of a restaurant I have been to. I only wrote this because my wife chose this restaurant because of the reviews and rating on Tripadvisor, so I felt it was fair to warn other people and provide another perspective so others don't make the same mistake we did.
I didn't give this a terrible rating, because at least the quantity of the starters and mains rice dishes was so much, that you wouldn't be hungry if you weren't fussy about food.
Also, I wasn't happy about the bill including a service charge. I have experienced this in central London, but not in the Bromley area. What was the point of saying they will bring the dish to your table instead of you having to get it, like at a normal buffet, but then forcing you to pay a tip?
If I want to try a chinese buffet, next time we will try Ginnys by East street in Bromley.
The atmosphere here was ok, but I wouldn't come here again, simply due to the food.

5  Thank selfsearcher
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Fantastic, value for money, great atmosphere. Friendly staff.

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We have been here many times and always good....great for birthdays as they always play a great tape of really cheesy tunes to sing along to...embarrass the kids singing along to Cliff Richards Congratulations!!! Food is always hot and a feast for the eyes....by the time you get to the main course you will be full so pace yourself. Good value especially if you have teenagers with hollow legs. The house white is really good and we have often been given a bottle to take home as present!!!! You have to book and there are variety of tables...really large round one good for large party with lazy susan centre piece.

Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

We went here spontaneously one Friday night - managed to get a table easily and the staff were super friendly, particularly one waiter who was smiling more than anyone I've ever seen!

Buffet style food but table service- my idea of heaven. We were told we could pick from the menu items in any order, so we grazed and went back to the delicious starters for seconds. The food really was some of the best chinese I've tasted, and for £15 a head we were very well looked after and completely stuffed!

The shredded chicken and the crispy duck in particularly were notably yummy!

Luckily it was just a short walk back Home as I don't think we would have managed any longer, we were so full!

Would definitely go again - for the delicious food and very friendly service.

1  Thank Amber0307