“The Perfect Storm”
Review of La Trota

La Trota
Reserve with
La Trota is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 7 Restaurants in Rivodutri
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2014

I travel a great deal, but can't recall where I have experienced such a disappointing blend of pretense and minimalist servings with such price.

The menu is certainly interestingly innovative, and as such there is creativity there. However, my wife and I - choosing different dishes - could hardly discuss them afterwards: the servings tend towards the miniscule, and whilst definitely helpful for my diet, I expect to have a little to taste, to be able to savour the memories, and to share a morsel with my wife. None was possible, for either of us.

I work hard for my money, and felt that it would be nice if the restaurant had worked a little harder for mine.

The desert menu looked as interesting as the al carte, but after such disappointment in the main courses, we didn't bother with the deserts - which came in at a minimum of about 14 Euros per plate.

The wine list looked interesting, though as an afficionado of Italian wine, I was surprised to see some omissions.

Drove about 2 hours to get to the restraurant, and I know there will be many places - without Michelin stars - where one could eat fine, imaginative food, without having special foot stools brought for the ladies' handbags....

I didn't have a whisky, but I know a bit about single malt whiskies, and in fairness to La Trota, whoever they have buying their whisky knows their stuff, and has assembled an attractive collection which includes a lot of stuff that you don't see too often. That raises the rating by 1 *.

4  Thank TheJockDiplomat

Reviewed October 26, 2014

It has been a long time ago since I was at a restaurant with two Michelin stars but it was well worth the money. It is clear that the Trip advisor rating system can't apply to this high category of restaurants so don't compare it with my other ratings. I have added some photo's to give an impression since it is hard to describe the highly creative quality of this restaurant. Special compliments for the very friendly service and not too formal ambience. My favorite was probably the stuffed artichoke which got them a price in 2011, the egg inside that is still liquid is a good combination with the crusty outside. They are renowned for their fresh water fish dishes, as a main dish we had pike from the lake and that was excellent.

1  Thank Herman S
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This was by some way the gastronomic highlight of our trip to Lazio and Umbria. There was never any question whether it was worth the 2 hour drive from Perugia. We went for the river and lake fish menu which was imaginative and perfectly executed: carp, trout and pike perch all made an appearance. The highlight though was the dessert: a citrus soup with salted white chocolate parcels containing mango, served with a black olive ice cream: this, we agreed was 3 star quality.

Restaurants of this class often have intimidating wine lists with very little at the affordable end. This was certainly not the case here though there was plenty of opportunity to explore good vintages of famous wines should that take the fancy.

The welcome and service throughout was exceptional. We shall certainly return when we can.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

This exceptional restaurant in a bucolic location: the hilltop medieval town of Rivodutri is nearby, and it is just a few meters from the "sorgente" (source) of a stream of water of astonishing clarity as it runs past the restaurant, on toward the Nera river and ultimately the Tiber. La Trota is fairly remote -- over an hour and a half from Rome, from which come the largest share of its patrons, and northeast of Rieti, a provincial seat that attracts few international visitors. La Trota is among just three dozen restaurants in all of Italy to which the Michelin red guide awards 2 stars for "excellent cooking, worth a detour"--and it has been the gastronomic pioneer in winning haute cuisine acceptance of freshwater fish as a valid dish. The restaurant is, to be sure, priced accordingly.

Our culinary adventure began with a complimentary cream with pumpkin and an encrusted carp antipasto, followed by a zuppa di tinca, a local freshwater fish. For her first course, my bride tried pappardelle all'amatriciana, in a formulation that made amatriciana never taste as good, while I had a twist of canneloni with crayfish. For her second course Madam tried the "luccio perca" (pike) and I the trout with foie gras. The dessert was inventive enough to be worth sharing photographically.

We had time to speak with both brothers who run this elegant establishment, Maurizio Serva, who serves as maître d' and head waiter, and Sandro Serva, the head chef and grand artiste de la cuisine who came out to check on our satisfaction as the meal progressed. Both were engaging and attentive. They chronicled to us the timeline of the restaurant's opening 50 years ago, in 1963; earning its first "fork" of recognition in a Michelin guide a decade later, then two forks and finally three; then its first star, two decades ago, and its second star, a half dozen years ago.

This steady climb has not spoiled them or made them distant and unapproachable. Rather, they know they run a very special place and simply want to perpetuate the miracle. Be a believer!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I had a pleasure of interviewing Maurizio Serva and meeting his brother, the cook. Maurizio is great to talk to, a natural born storyteller. His brother is a gret cook, together they are one of the best: the way they transform the traditional into something new is amazing because they remain on the right side of the tradition. They still serve great pasta albeit made with 20 egg yolks, they served us a cappucino of the pumpkin soup. Other time we had an Italian classic - panzanella - served in semi-frozen state but it tasted incredible. Or artichokes with egg yolks. Or fish in the poppy seed crust. Or granitas made with the root vegetables. We still remember the ice cream made with local olives. For people who do not do desserts, there is a cheese platter. Try it. We had the best aged gorgonzola on this planet. They serve lovely wines (I wish they have an option of wine by the glass). Service is great, the restaurant is posh.