“Won't be returning”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Onchan
Ballacain Courtyard Cottages
Reviewed 18 May 2017

Our adult daughter was woken up to the sound of gnawing and wondered what it was. She later discovered a hole in her backpack which was next to her bed. On further examination, she found that a chocolate bar which was in a pocket in her bag had been nibbled at - obviously by a mouse. We inspected the room for droppings, but didn't find any, but we did find a hole in the corner of the room and damage to the carpet which we assumed the mouse had entered through. We then blocked this hole with kitchen foil and hoped that this would stop the mouse returning. However, when we returned to the cottage later that evening, we found out that instead of stopping the mouse re-entering the room, we had actually trapped it in the room, as there was evidence of it trying to remove the foil from the hole. We then actually saw the mouse and tried to catch it, but were unable to. On further examination, we found a nest in the bed frame. When we told the owner, she simply offered to refund us the next two nights and suggested we move out. In addition, she refused to believe that the mouse was in the room at all. We were shocked at this treatment. She reluctantly set a mouse trap in the room which appeared to be triggered the next day. She appeared completely unconcerned at the nest in the bed frame or damage to the carpet which she stated could have been there for a long time. I am not happy submitting this review - I usually only post when I feel happy with a property, but think people should think twice before booking this property.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank whiteywhitey53
MKBBallacain, Owner at Ballacain Courtyard Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2017

I am sorry for your experience -- and, on even closer inspection of the room in question, for my discovery of a pack of 4 craft knife blades with one missing under the area of the bed in question. A very strange situation indeed and one with which I have never had to deal in 10yrs of owning and running Ballacain. I hope you do not have a similar situation on the Island should you return. All the best to you and your family. *

Reviewed 21 March 2017

I have booked accommodation for TT 2017 back in June 2016 and those who have been to the Isle of Man during the TT racing week will know how hard it is to secure accommodation. I have used official site to place my booking where was given details to pay a holding deposit which I have done on the day.

Few months have gone by and I have tried to contact Ballacain Cottages to see when the remainder payment is due, but wasn't able to get through for a while. I have left a couple of voicemails also also rang a few times without anyone answering the phone. Finally I have sent an email to which I have received a polite response that they don't have my reservation. Now as a result I am left with no accommodation for the racing week, but also am still waiting for a refund of my deposit or at least acknowledgement that the refund is on its way.
Very unprofessional, unreliable and hard to get hold of bunch, avoid at all cost.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
MKBBallacain, Owner at Ballacain Courtyard Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2017

I am very sorry for your booking experience. As the booking was made through the IOM Visitor Accommodation website and not direct to the property, I have no way of knowing why it did not come through to the property, however, I did let them know of the problem. I cannot say that we ever received a voicemail message regarding your booking and you are absolutely correct that the landline is rarely answered - because someone would have to be sitting in the office to take the call and Ballacain is not a full-service hotel, it is 4 self-catering cottages. I did receive one email from you regarding the booking and I replied within 5 days and explained that I had not received the booking and that I was full - and had been since TT the previous year (guests who stayed in 2016 rebooked for 2017 before leaving the Island). I also have the online bank receipt showing that your £100 deposit was refunded within 24hrs of receiving your email with your online banking details and a copy of the email confirming to you that the refund had been sent and asking that you confirm its receipt -- to which you did not reply. I also ask that you note that booking procedure states that deposits should not be paid until a Confirmation email has been received from the property - I am sorry that you sent your deposit without receiving that confirmation (and all of this was also explained to you in the email with my apology for 1) not receiving the booking and 2) being full). I can only apologize again for your experience. *

Reviewed 29 August 2016

We have been staying at the Ballacain during TT for a few years now. Marcia is always helpfull, the cottages are great. We have tried the Old Workshop (5 bedrooms/3 bathrooms) so far and will extend to Snowdrop next year.
Can't wait to come back !

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank mdevaulx
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Our second time staying in The Old Workshop.

The cleanliness & attention to detail is second to none. The welcome pack is comprehensive. We came for a youth sporting event, the washer & dryer was a welcome point, as were 2 fridges !!
Mark & Marcia have done a great job.
We will be back soon.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Graham141066
IsabeauMB, Owner at Ballacain Courtyard Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review and I am SO glad that all was well with the property and with your stay -- It was great having you and your family back AND I appreciated you bringing friends to Bluebell as well. Hope that all the kids did well in and enjoyed the event -- I heard that the Dads were kitted out and cycling, too! All my best, Marcia*

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Top marks for the accommodation and cleanliness. (The Old Workshop)
Excellent place to stay. Highly recommended... but you will need a car!
It was really top drawer. Peeked through the window of the other cottages on site and they also looked really excellent.
The cottage had everything we needed to cater for grandparents in their late 60s, us in our 30s and our two little boys aged 6 and 3.
Brilliant! You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Noughtsandcrosses
Reviewed 10 June 2013

We stayed in the quiet Corner in April and enjoyed it very much. The setting is peaceful, the cottage was very nicely done and very clean. We found little touches on our arrival -milk, butter, jam, bread, biscuits. We thought this was very thoughtful, and useful after a long journey. The owners are great and made us feel very welcome, and we felt that the cottage was good value for money. I would recommend these cottages.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Fiona M
Reviewed 26 August 2012 via mobile

The previous review is a comprehensive description of Snowdrop cottage. Family stayed in adjoining Bluebell cottage which is very similar to Snowdrop as previously described. Very nice welcoming touches on arrival. Great facilities include washing machine and dryer. Set in leafy grounds - perfect for kids to burn off some energy using swings, tree house and football equipment. Would be happy to recommend to others and stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Castlefordian10

Been to Ballacain Courtyard Cottages? Share your experiences!