All reviewsdempster highwaydawson cityplace to stayboth timesservice stationburgernorthwest territoriesgravel roadwinter monthsfive starkm drivebargasyukonwildernessoasiscampground
Reviewed September 10, 2009

I was travelling with my brother-in-law in his plane on the way to Inuvik. We called ahead and were told that if we buzzed the hotel, they would come to the airstrip and pick us up or we could land right on the Dempster Highway in front of the hotel. We landed on the highway and taxid up to the hotel. The was a real strong wind blowing and Stan even gave us a pick-up to tie our plane down to. We went into the bar and had a beer and a great burger. We listened to some of the stories and met a fellow who was travelling by bicicle from Buenos Aires, Argentina to Tuktoyaktuk and another couple of guys coming back from Tuktoyaktuk on motorcycles. We had breakfast and it was as good an omlet as I have ever had. It is a great oasis in the middle of nowhere. Thanks Stan.

Stayed: June 2009
2  Thank BigAl4ca
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Overall, given that there is not much by way of competition for business, we thaought that we might have to rough it out. Very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the facility, amenities, food / bar and room convenience. The place was clean with friendly service, hot water was available and the kitchen and bar were well stocked evn for special dietary needs.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank RoadTripsAlaska
Reviewed April 18, 2009

I have stayed at Eagle Plains four times and every time I was so happy to see the place that I would have paid twice what they asked for a room. And they were clean rooms. The bar has short hours but you can buy a six-pack and drink it in your room or on the deck under the northern lights if you can keep from freezing to death. The food is better than expected. And the warm and fun company of Canadian long line truck drivers in the bar has to be experienced to be believed. They have the only gas pump within 250 miles and repair facilities though so far I have not needed them. I travel by motorcycle in the Arctic so it is a real treat when I can stay under a roof in a heated room within range of a cold beer and good food. I love this place and look forward to returning this year.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
3  Thank northrider510
Reviewed April 2, 2009

First, why is this listed under Whitehorse? Whitehorse is 525 miles from Eagle Plains!

After you start up the Dempster you will drive 225 miles before you reach this truck stop which is the first gasoline and lodging on the Dempster. I have stayed here three times, twice in summer going up and down the Dempster, and once in winter on a one way drive up the Dempster. The place is surprisingly roomy. The service is much better than you have a right to expect since only a handful of people staff the place. The restaurant hours are limited. You get your own coffee. But the food is quite decent. Surprisingly, if you go to the lobby with your laptop, you will even find wi-fi. Sure, there are places with better lodging, but in the middle of nowhere? The person who gave this a two star rating should be ashamed of himself.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angeles
Reviewed November 21, 2008

The Eagle Plains Hotel and RV Campground is 369 km north of the Klondike Highway on the famous Dempster Highway. It is the first service you will see before the Arctic Circle, Fort McPherson and Inuvik. It is open year round, has a full service garage with gas, diesel & propane, and has a good restaurant & bar.

I spent the night camping on the way up and again on the way back from Tuktoyaktuk. My fellow traveller fell in love with one of those college girls while I enjoyed the meals, bar and hot showers. It felt good to get out of the cold, leave the mosquitos for a while and wash the Dempster crud off my skin. I thoroughly enjoyed the company from the hearty folks who live and travel this remote part of the world. Moreover, I hope some day to return during the winter months and experience the Ice Roads.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank BeachBusker