“Visiting Grimsby”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My family and I travelled to a service at Grimsby crem, so being 20 minutes away from the highly raved about, Marrowbone and Cleaver , we decided to pop in for lunch on route, and by goodness we were not dissapointed. I had prebooked being a group of 7. We arrived 30 minutes early and were kindly shown our table in the conservatory, where there was already a much larger party seated, plus another 2 small tables. We were served promptly, and both members of staff we met were lovely, chatty and super obliging. The actual food was plentiful, and home cut/made chips were out of this world, even my parents in their 70s said it was the best food they'd tasted, the pudding menu looked amazing but we simply couldn't eat a single thing after mains. Large car park at rear of building but there was roadside parking too. If you want to be guaranteed food, at weekends and the summer months I would recommend booking a table as I'd imagine this little hidden gem of a place gets really busy with regulars and holiday makers, and as lovely as the pub and staff are it be a shame to miss the icing off the cake THE FOOD . I did notice outdoor seating for kinder weather, plus kids small out door play garden.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Went on on a Monday night for 6 of us for half 6 and there was a table of 19 in aswel that night so you should be able to work out the table we was on, it was table 1 and 2 put together and the tables were different heights so didn’t work, myself and my partner arrived early and the other 4 in party arrived at half 6, as soon as they sat down with us they was asked if they would like a drink, “We need your order now because of the big table” my whole table work in hospitality and we know they had pre ordered there food, we wasn’t bothered about waiting for food it made no odds. The staff are rude and need sufficient training, 2 minutes after the food had been put down they came and checked back we hadn’t really even started eating, come and see if we would like any drinks would be nice.

Have been here to eat before and it’s never been amazing but never put me off going back, you get what you pay for, but staff need to smile and be more polite towards customers.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Just a really quick review to say we once again had brilliant evening when we came for a meal to celebrate a 30th birthday.
Despite the restaurant being full the staff on shift were really attentive and nothing was too much bother.
Being a party of 12 having a full 3 course meal it could be easy for something to go wrong but all meals were served quickly and piping hot, presentation was great and portion sizes are great when you’ve 4 x greedy men in the family!!
The desserts were ace my sticky toffee pudding was one of the best I’ve ever had and I’m a big pudding fan!
Can’t wait to come back again hopefully next time the snow won’t make the journey quite so treacherous

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Back in January, met with landlady to discuss party for special celebration this coming March for 25 people. Because there were so many in the party landlady offered sole use of the conservatory. That was such a nice offer. Only stipulation was that due to the numbers we pre-ordered the meals. No problems.
Received notification of how the tables were to be set out following the windows/shape of room to get everyone in.
When we arrived there was a table of four in the conservatory waiting to be served. Our tables were put together in such a tight 'U' shape that people had to stand up to allow other to get out to go to the loo or bar. It was so closely put together that we were knocking elbows and there was no surplus space on the tables.
The meals were brought out, passed over the heads and leaning across the table to get the plates to those sat where the staff couldn't reach.
We had agreed Chips and Veg were to be put on the table to allow people to help themselves. This didn't happen they were put on the plate. Apparently they didn't have sufficient dishes for the veg to be put on the tables.
The meals mainly were satisfactory, but the mixed grill orders were apparently cold.... my tomatos were black on the bottom and were so burned couldn't be eaten and the chips were so well cooked when I put my fork in them they shot off my plate!
We had been offered complimentary wine on the table, this wasn't there, no glasses and had to request this. It was eventually brought out and put on a couple of the tables.
Discussed with the staff at the time, apologies were in abundance but no offer to sort anything out.
The staff blamed the landlady for the table set up, her not being there in person made it impossible to discuss with her then. When we did see her on her return from weekend away, was told that the staff were in charge.....
Even though I had text messages agreeing certain things only received apologies and told it was pub grub not fine dining.
If you cannot deal with 25 in a party, don't accept the booking, promise the sole use of the conservatory then say that it wasn't a private booking!
As far as the pub was concerned there were no problems.
Disappointed with response from landlady, clearly no customer care or how can we rectify this..... apparently we should have high expectations....
Will we be revisiting for a meal? That'll be a no.

2  Thank Joyceja
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Food here is delicious! All home made pub grub but the portions are big! The steaks are so nice and juicy! The fish and chips are also good! The service is really good. Its just such a lively pub and great atmosphere