“Lovely Tea Rooms and Sun Trap of a Patio area with tables and umbrellas for shade”

The Old Farmhouse Restaurant and Tea Rooms
Ranked #3 of 9 Restaurants in Burley
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2018

My wife and I had a very enjoyable time in the New Forest today and popped into Burley to see if we could get an afternoon tea at around 3.30pm. We went into the Old Farmhouse on Burley main street and took a bench seat in the back garden patio area which was a real sun trap. We ordered scones with butter, Tiptree Jam and Cornish Clotted Cream plus a good sized pot of tea for two. The scones were very enjoyable and the service was very good. The tea room started to close up from about 4.15pm on this Bank Holiday Monday, so don't leave it too late in the day otherwise you might be disappointed.

1  Thank DavidL408

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Appalling service today. No one came to take our order so we had to go to the counter ourselves, food arrived brought by the chef, however no cutlery and we had no drinks. The breakfast was much smaller than we have been given there previously, many potatoes were black and inedible, bacon undercooked, and toast not bloomer as stated on the menu. We finished the food with still no sign of drinks, so went to the desk where they just said they were run off their feet (2 tables occipued inside and about 5 outside - hardly busy), clearly hadn't even started them (over 30 minutes after ordering), so we decided just to pay and go elsewhere for drinks. However as the drinks were included in price of breakfast they did not know how to not charge for them. Ended up only reducing the price by about £3 despite not recieving 3 drinks, with scarcely an apology for not bringing any drinks. Cost us much, much more to buy them when we went elsewhere. Will not be returning which us a shame as we are local and have enjoyed their food previously.

Reviewed May 3, 2018 via mobile

Had a beautiful lunch and a cream tea here on a holiday, really reasonable prices, very generous portions, and everything tasted lovely! The staff were so nice and attentive, making sure we were happy with our meals! Overall a lovely spot to enjoy some great food!

Reviewed April 22, 2018

Went here yesterday with family for tea/coffee and cake. 1 had the Dorset apple cake which he said was nice and the rest of us had scones which came slightly warm, with a choice of blackcurrant or strawberry jam which we shared and both were very nice! scones were good and so were the lattes!

Reviewed April 13, 2018 via mobile

We visited on Thursday whilst in Burley. We had a pot of tea, scones (although not warm) and lemon drizzle cake. Wasn’t keen on the paper tablecloths, I thought it would be nicer to have linen instead. I have to say I found the baby changing facilities poor. I totally understand that it is an old building and obviously you have to use the space that is available. The baby changing facilities are contained within the disabled toilet. This is located in a stand alone building outside. Sadly there is a grate in the wall which means it is really quite chilly. I took my 2.5 year old to change him in there but just wouldn’t even consider using the facilities for my 11 week old baby as it was a cold day and it just felt too mean to strip him off to change him in a cold room. Ideally if they could move the baby changing area to somewhere warmer inside it would be great but I understand that the limitations of the building might not allow this.