All reviewsmade us feelmy sonchillinice placea great experiencesteveclimbmendozaaconcaguaridehospitalityplazadishesscratchtransportdecembertents
Reviewed August 25, 2012

The culmination of a two month cycle tour saw me riding past the Ayelen hotel in the direction of Santiago. I only went in for a bite to eat and ended up staying the night such was the fantastic hospitality. My ride had shown me a hierarchy of steaks, and this certainly topped the bill and I've no doubt the rest of the menu would have been great had I not overfilled myself on the complementary nuts!
The new owner, was more than happy to chat, and with such a great location and good direction I've no doubt the hotel will be a great base for summer and winter adventures alike.
The room was warm spacious and well appointed, exactly what I needed after a long trip.
Cheers

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed May 27, 2012

After descending more than 4,000m and walking 25km in two days (with no mules or porters and 50kgs of "stuff") we hitched back to Los Penitentes to find all the hostels shut for the season. Late in the evening, our only option was to use the Ayelen, the only open Hotel. I was against using hotels, roughty toughty mountaineers don't use hotels, we'd saved money by avoiding mules and tour companies, so to waste money on a hotel was annoying at best.
I was sent the length of the village to check it out, leaving my partner lying prostate on our pile of gear, in the dark, staring at the stars.
Mercedes (Mecha) was sat at reception and I knew we were going to stay there immediately. There were mountain pictures on the wall, magazines scattered about a reading table, and Mecha was a cool looking receptionist with immaculate English and a bostin personality. I explained our situation and she was helpful. Not trying to sell a room helpful. Helpful. All options and ideas on the table. Brilliant.
I asked for the cheapest possible room with no frills or meals, no problems. I explained it would take a half hour to get back up the road and collect a pile of gear and a semi-conscious climber, but Mecha reacted by calling Steve. 10 minutes later, one pile of gear and two climbers were bumping along in Steve's pick-up with stupid grins and dreaming of showers and pizza.
Pizza wasn't on the menu. Steve went off to talk to chef. "Chef asked what kind of pizza?" Brilliant.
This is a hotel that gets it. Service is more important than just about anything else. The room reminded me of my old room in College from (sad to say) 30 years ago. The bathroom was as simple and basic as a youth hostel, but we were too busy smiling about the family atmosphere of the place and the way we had been looked after to notice.
The building is fundamentally great, big lounge rooms to read and relax in, big beams and bold decorations, but Argentina seems to have turned letting things fall into ruin into an artform. Between them, Steve and Mecha are doing an amazing job of turning it around, and you can see things going on in all corners. And although wifi wasn't available (though not through want of trying from the tales of Argie bureaucracy we heard) we were able to steal a few minutes on their Apple Mac which had a mobile phone internet dongle thing. So appreciated.
Oh yeah, and we stayed another night. Because we deserved it. Aconcagua 2012. Brilliant!

Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

Good, clean hotel with a service-minded and welcoming staff. I recommend the bife de chorizo for dinner. Excellent trekking opportunities.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank Huxflux
Reviewed April 2, 2012

outstanding hospitality from julio steve mecha emi and staff-life savers!!!arrived back from big hill and found amazing place!never enjoyed a beer and malbech so much-everybody speaks excellent english except steve but he had improved by the end of my stay=hope to c u all again james hall(toon toon)newcastle upon tyne xx

Room Tip: back of hotel
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Thank you Mecha for a wonderful stay! My partner and I enjoyed our time at Hotel Ayelen on our way to Aconcagua. The menu, while limited, was well-prepared though service was a bit slow. The space is a retro-cool building in the mountains--my contractor partner thinks it has great bones and will be a spectacular structure once remodeled.

Though dated, it had a lot of personality. The new owners are very responsive to guest needs. Worth a stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple