“This website is truly misleading”

Siolim Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Siolim
More attraction details
Owner description: Siolim cooking school was born out of a passion for tropical flavors and foreign cuisines. It offers a fascinating insight into Goan life, faiths and culture through learning about its food, cooking and culinary myths.Participants learn about the exotic spices and blends used in every day Goan dishes, and actively prepare the generous feast that will then be enjoyed together.Class teachings and discussions are relaxed and friendly and held in the elegant ground of the boutique hotel Little Siolim. Discussions include specific references to the role of food in Goan society and its ceremonial use and religious importance.
Reviewed January 13, 2015

I attended the class on 27th December with 3 cooking participants who were guests of mine and one gentleman who was joining us for lunch.

I believe that your website is severely misleading as it shows pictures of people cooking at individual stations in salubrious and light open air surroundings. We were taken to to nearby house which was in a state of disrepair into an old kitchen, where there was one knife and one pair of scissors between the class of 5 people and the teacher.

Nettie the teacher tried quite hard and was very pleasant, but the facilities were far short of those shown in the photos on the website. The tables at which we ate had been shoved into the entrance hall and did not have cloths or place settings. The promised aprons were not provided. There was no offer of refreshment all morning and only water was offered with the meal. Whilst I would have understood alcoholic drinks being charged separately, the offer of nothing other than water does nothing to suggest the passionate commitment to the pleasures of Goan cuisine of which the website makes much. The bathroom was a disgrace.

When we originally arrived at the hotel and asked to use a lavatory, my guests we sent through workers quarters to a disgusting facility awash with urine. We were given a most peremptory greeting. There was also some strange mix up when we were taken to the market in one car which could accommodate everyone but had to be brought back in a smaller one over 2 trips, which held up the lesson. During this inconvenience no attempt was made to provide refreshments.

I think both the school and the hotel need to look hard at what they offer.

I had bought the courses as gifts for my family, and felt most embarrassed with the experience to which they were subjected.

11  Thank Reid-Britta
"from scratch"
"boats"
"freshness"

Reviewed October 4, 2014

What a great way to spend the day!! Cooking some great Goan food. As it is still low season myself and a friend was the only ones there! It was a great to learn in such a small environment! The lady was great and taught us some great food that is definitely do able back at home!! Recommend this to anyone!!

2  Thank Staum J
Reviewed May 6, 2014

I booked this course in low season as I was desperate to do a cooking course during my stay in Goa. For 2200 rupees I would of rethought my decision but the experience was worth it because of the fantastic lady that taught us. I learnt so much about indian food as a whole and some really great ways of cooking using different ingredients. Thank you so much for the experience.

1  Thank NatashaCurrell
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I really enjoyed this cooking experience. We were lucky as there was only the two of us in the class. We learnt lots of tricks and came away with fabulous recipes to try at home. The lady and her daughter were so friendly with lots of stories about Goan lifestyle and as a teacher they filled me in about local schools too. We helped in the preparation and cooking and the end result was yummy! It is not a big kitchen restaurant with fancy appliances but rather well suited to its surroundings of a more traditional experience. Thank you and would recommend it to others! Ps. Go with an empty tummy as the amount of food made is huge!

1  Thank Debbie J