“Lip smacking lunch at Siolim”

Siolim Cooking School
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Siolim
More attraction details
Owner description: Siolim cooking school was born out of a passion for tropical flavors and foreign cuisines. It offers a fascinating insight into Goan life, faiths and culture through learning about its food, cooking and culinary myths.Participants learn about the exotic spices and blends used in every day Goan dishes, and actively prepare the generous feast that will then be enjoyed together.Class teachings and discussions are relaxed and friendly and held in the elegant ground of the boutique hotel Little Siolim. Discussions include specific references to the role of food in Goan society and its ceremonial use and religious importance.
Reviewed November 3, 2015

How would you like to be your own chef? Well, you can feel very accomplished at the Siolim Cooking School at Little Siolim House where we shopped for groceries and produce, cooked in an open kitchen facing a gigantic mango tree, took in the aromas while we stuffed pomfrets and simmered chicken in its juices for a traditional Goan style Xacuti.....whether cooking is your passion or even if it isn't you can savour your own Goan style lunch at Siolim......even chefs visit the Siolim Cooking School

All reviews
"from scratch"
"boats"
"freshness"

Reviewed February 1, 2015

As a guest of Britta Reid on this cooking course, I can only endorse what she has to say about it. I would add that the water was only offered with the meal after many hours of marketing and cooking. Having travelled for two hourse in the early morning from Cavelossim my daughter and I were really thirsty and ran out of the market to try and find some bottled water. During the course we went to the local shop to buy cool drinks for everyone. Surely a bottle of water and some glasses could have been provided - a cup of tea would have been nice but I suppose that was too much to ask.

The loo was awful and one could have got salmonella from the light switch.

The venue was not as shown in the photographs. No sun speckled verandah with bamboo blinds just a tired hold house with grubby sofas and plastic dining chairs. Where were the smart kitchen units and glamorous aprons?

Our only participation in the cooking was taking turning to gut fish, devein prawns and giving a pot the occasional stir so in this I have to agree with previous reviewers who have stated this is a a cooking demo.

Nettie, the lady who ran the course, was a lovely person and I have no doubt was doing her best. I would hate her to be blamed for all this. It is the management who is to blame here.

Our treatment at Siolim House Hotel was abysmal too (see my review).

I would strongly advise giving this a miss.

10  Thank GoJosi
Reviewed January 13, 2015

I attended the class on 27th December with 3 cooking participants who were guests of mine and one gentleman who was joining us for lunch.

I believe that your website is severely misleading as it shows pictures of people cooking at individual stations in salubrious and light open air surroundings. We were taken to to nearby house which was in a state of disrepair into an old kitchen, where there was one knife and one pair of scissors between the class of 5 people and the teacher.

Nettie the teacher tried quite hard and was very pleasant, but the facilities were far short of those shown in the photos on the website. The tables at which we ate had been shoved into the entrance hall and did not have cloths or place settings. The promised aprons were not provided. There was no offer of refreshment all morning and only water was offered with the meal. Whilst I would have understood alcoholic drinks being charged separately, the offer of nothing other than water does nothing to suggest the passionate commitment to the pleasures of Goan cuisine of which the website makes much. The bathroom was a disgrace.

When we originally arrived at the hotel and asked to use a lavatory, my guests we sent through workers quarters to a disgusting facility awash with urine. We were given a most peremptory greeting. There was also some strange mix up when we were taken to the market in one car which could accommodate everyone but had to be brought back in a smaller one over 2 trips, which held up the lesson. During this inconvenience no attempt was made to provide refreshments.

I think both the school and the hotel need to look hard at what they offer.

I had bought the courses as gifts for my family, and felt most embarrassed with the experience to which they were subjected.

11  Thank Reid-Britta
Reviewed October 4, 2014

What a great way to spend the day!! Cooking some great Goan food. As it is still low season myself and a friend was the only ones there! It was a great to learn in such a small environment! The lady was great and taught us some great food that is definitely do able back at home!! Recommend this to anyone!!

2  Thank Staum J