New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Lanes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Coker
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is a three star hotel which in my opinion should be four star, my room was in the annex and was very comfortable and felt the stress of my long journey fade away. The annexe was very secure so felt quite safe.
Nice toiletries and bath robe supplied, room has complimentary mini bar and i pod docking which are nice touches.My phone signal was very poor however this is offset by internet access and wifi provided so could keep in contact with home on Skype. There ia also a residents coffee lounge where you can use printer etc. I did not use spa facilities as I did not have time.
I ate in the restaurant and although very modern it had a lovely atmosphere, service was very good, I ordered a steak which arrived on a board with accompanients all in separate dishes so maybe not to everyone's eating style however the food was perfectly cooked and of high quality.I got oil and butter for my table but no bread so not sure what that was all about.
The bar area is open and very modern again nice atmosphere and if you want to sit quiet you can go to the other lounge area and sit is comfy chair.
Breakfast was good choice of home made produce plenty of choice and nice fresh coffee.
No complaints at all and would love to visit when i get more time so I can use the facilities. Suitable for families, business and could see nothing to prevent buggies and wheelchairs getting around.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank Harrycrac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bridgend
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Arriving through the main gate of Lanes Hotel in the beautiful village of West Coker I was expecting an amazing hotel that matched the excellent ratings on tripadvisor, I was slightly disappointed to see that the original part of the hotel had been extended and the first thing I saw was a modern block that was in no way in keeping with the style of the village or the main house. I was more impressed when I entered however and found a lovely bar area.

I was staying at Lanes the night before my wedding in Somerset and then again on my wedding night with my new bride so I was hoping that the hotel would be a kind of relaxing and beautiful place. On being shown my room - the bridal suite on the top floor of the old part of the hotel I noticed a slightly clinical smell but thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later I noticed that I had got wet paint all over the arm of my (not cheap) jumper and wondered in incredulity how on earth I had managed this. Surely there could be no way that Lanes could possibly have let me check in to a room that was wet with paint? I checked the room and indeed found at least two areas of wet white paint.

I asked about this at reception and was disappointed with the level of apology I received, if this had been my hotel and this had happened to a guest I would have been mortified, especially given the guest being on his wedding night. Despite offering to wash the jumper for me there was no heartfelt apology, no offer of recompense or change of room.

My room continued to smell of paint despite having all the windows open, and despite acknowledgement of the problem staff were unapologetic.

On balance, breakfast was delicious, the free computing/internet and printer was very useful, and the hotel was generally good. But for a hotel to fail to care about its guest's experience of staying there on their wedding night, to paint a room and leave it wet at check in and not offer any money off the bill is terrible.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank foolinthedeck
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have used this hotel on a number of occations and can highly recommend , attention to detail is second to non, the location is stunning, the hotel is stunning and the staff and hoteliers are warm and friendly , the rooms are beautifully decorated to a high standard and exceptionally clean.

The food is another experience not to be missed, beautifully cooked and presented and nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff.

Despite the high standards the hotel is exceptional value.

I will be booking again soon and always look forward to my stay!

Room Tip: I have had several different rooms and they are all of the same high standard, the location is beaut...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank jessie269
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

This hotel and guest apartments are located in the village of West Coker, just outside Yeovil in Somerset. If you appreciate good contemporary accommodation then this hotel is perfect. We had a two bed apartment that had lovely rooms including a modern kitchen diner. The bathroom even had a television screen you could watch whilst soaking in the bath! The hotel has a rather nice restaurant serving a la carte for dinner and breakfast was included in our tariff. We would most definitely go back and next time use the lovely spa!

Room Tip: Book an apartment if you want extra room
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank smokeyrolo
Petersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Service is excellent and nothing too much trouble. The rooms are very comfortable and well appointed with some nice touches (like tea and coffee making facilities that you don't always get in a top class Hotel). However room rates at £130 for a night are comparable to London rates. Now West Coker is nice, but I would not expect central London prices for a Hotel in Somerset.

The decor and finish is a nice mix of old and modern (if you like that sort of thing) and the gardens are lovely even in the depths of winter.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal (watch their website for last minute deals or special rates), then it's we...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Martin and Sue C
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

I stay at lots of hotels around the country with work and I can honestly say this is one of the best I have had the pleasure of staying at! I was there last night and very sad to leave this morning.

Firstly, if you are a smoker like myself then ask for one of the rooms with a balcony - it has a table and chairs and an ashtray so no need to keep leaving the room to trek outside for a cigarette!

The hotel itself is boutique style and of a very high standard. I was amazed when my boss told me it was three star rated as it should be at least a 4. The decor is modern and the rooms are lovely - again, very modern complete with a docking station, good selection of channels on the TV and a fridge with some complimentary drinks.

The bed was wonderfully comfy with big fluffy pillows and the bathroom was big and bright with soft towels and a great power shower. There's a nice comfy dressing gown, ironing board and hair dryer and the room was very clean and decorated stylishly.

I always eat in my room being a lone traveler so I was delighted to be told there was no room service tray charge which meant I could order something nice from the menu that was within my limited budget! The choice of food was excellent and all reasonably priced. The food arrived quickly and was gorgeous, restaurant quality and well presented.

The staff were excellent - they couldn't do enough for you and I was greeted with a smile at all times. There was a great menu selection for breakfast as well as a table full of continental choices and the service was quick.

Again, this is the best place I have stayed in a long time and if I'm ever back in Somerset I'll be rushing back. Well done to the owners and keep up the fantastic work!

Room Tip: If you're a smoker, ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank samkatelin
Yeovil, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Well, we only live a mile or so down the road and have never visited for one reason or another.

Upon arriving the place was "buzzing" and it was only 19.45!

We ordered our drinks and from that point the service was amazing.

We were very well attended too and everything was 100%.

One of the few places remaining where you can really dress up and feel special.

The food was amazing and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2012
The Hollies Hotel
#1 of 2 in Martock
2.6 km away
Premier Inn Yeovil Airfield Hotel

Been to Lanes Hotel? Share your experiences!