“fabulous find”
Review of Lanes Hotel

Lanes Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in West Coker
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Despite being a very regular user of tripadvisor I have never been moved to write a review of the dozens of hotels we have used, but The Lanes was undoubtably amonst the very best & was perfect in every respect. The room , dining , facilities, staff & value were exceptional & easily made up for the slightly out of the way location. Will definately stay again & recommend to all our friends.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank k&Sjl

Reviewed 8 April 2012

First appearances from the road and main gate can be a little misleading (IKEA meets Duke of Edinburgh Award accommodation) - but persevere and you will be pleasantly surprised by with decor and quality of cuisine. And all very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RogerBest
Reviewed 12 March 2012

we have stayed at this hotel on 3 occasions. The first time we stayed for 2 nights and had just a fabulous experience. The spa, sauna & Jacuzzi, is just great and completely relaxing. Every time we have stayed we have had the use of the spa all to ourselves. The gym has all you would need. we have since returned on 2 occasions and stayed for 1 night. the buildings & grounds are just stunning, staff are warm welcoming and friendly. The bar comes to life in the evening and the ambiance is just fabulous. The restaurant in this hotel is second to none. attention to detail, fresh produce and excellent cooking skills are all on show here. everything i have eaten has been exquisite including the Lanes burger!! I never order burgers but it looked so good i had to give it a go and I am not sorry!!!
I have recommended Lanes to family & friends who have all stayed and fallen in love just as we have. I highly recommend this hotel and I am already planning on my 4th visit!!! You must visit this hotel if its the last thing you ever do!!

Room Tip: Book the dinner bed & breakfast deal
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank leebaby1981
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The best value for money hotel in terms of accommodation and stunning food that you will find anywhere in the area!

I will be amazed if the chef does not get a Michelin star soon. We would come again next year for sure.

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Drdavidwr
Reviewed 10 March 2012

This is a three star hotel which in my opinion should be four star, my room was in the annex and was very comfortable and felt the stress of my long journey fade away. The annexe was very secure so felt quite safe.
Nice toiletries and bath robe supplied, room has complimentary mini bar and i pod docking which are nice touches.My phone signal was very poor however this is offset by internet access and wifi provided so could keep in contact with home on Skype. There ia also a residents coffee lounge where you can use printer etc. I did not use spa facilities as I did not have time.
I ate in the restaurant and although very modern it had a lovely atmosphere, service was very good, I ordered a steak which arrived on a board with accompanients all in separate dishes so maybe not to everyone's eating style however the food was perfectly cooked and of high quality.I got oil and butter for my table but no bread so not sure what that was all about.
The bar area is open and very modern again nice atmosphere and if you want to sit quiet you can go to the other lounge area and sit is comfy chair.
Breakfast was good choice of home made produce plenty of choice and nice fresh coffee.
No complaints at all and would love to visit when i get more time so I can use the facilities. Suitable for families, business and could see nothing to prevent buggies and wheelchairs getting around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Harrycrac
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Arriving through the main gate of Lanes Hotel in the beautiful village of West Coker I was expecting an amazing hotel that matched the excellent ratings on tripadvisor, I was slightly disappointed to see that the original part of the hotel had been extended and the first thing I saw was a modern block that was in no way in keeping with the style of the village or the main house. I was more impressed when I entered however and found a lovely bar area.

I was staying at Lanes the night before my wedding in Somerset and then again on my wedding night with my new bride so I was hoping that the hotel would be a kind of relaxing and beautiful place. On being shown my room - the bridal suite on the top floor of the old part of the hotel I noticed a slightly clinical smell but thought nothing of it.

A few minutes later I noticed that I had got wet paint all over the arm of my (not cheap) jumper and wondered in incredulity how on earth I had managed this. Surely there could be no way that Lanes could possibly have let me check in to a room that was wet with paint? I checked the room and indeed found at least two areas of wet white paint.

I asked about this at reception and was disappointed with the level of apology I received, if this had been my hotel and this had happened to a guest I would have been mortified, especially given the guest being on his wedding night. Despite offering to wash the jumper for me there was no heartfelt apology, no offer of recompense or change of room.

My room continued to smell of paint despite having all the windows open, and despite acknowledgement of the problem staff were unapologetic.

On balance, breakfast was delicious, the free computing/internet and printer was very useful, and the hotel was generally good. But for a hotel to fail to care about its guest's experience of staying there on their wedding night, to paint a room and leave it wet at check in and not offer any money off the bill is terrible.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank foolinthedeck
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have used this hotel on a number of occations and can highly recommend , attention to detail is second to non, the location is stunning, the hotel is stunning and the staff and hoteliers are warm and friendly , the rooms are beautifully decorated to a high standard and exceptionally clean.

The food is another experience not to be missed, beautifully cooked and presented and nothing is too much trouble for any of the staff.

Despite the high standards the hotel is exceptional value.

I will be booking again soon and always look forward to my stay!

Room Tip: I have had several different rooms and they are all of the same high standard, the location is beaut...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Summer Lodge
#1 of 2 in Evershot
14.5 km away
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel

Been to Lanes Hotel? Share your experiences!