“Wonderful warm welcome”

The Blacksmiths Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Westow
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Blacksmiths Arms is a 300 year old country pub situated in the pretty rural village of Westow between York and Malton which has been bought by a local farming family. It boasts many charming features such as exposed beams, roaring log burners and original bread oven. The pub has recently gone through a refurbishment with a modern twist whilst maintaining it's country charm. We are a family run business and pride ourselves on our friendly service, fine wines, real ales and fabulous home made, locally sourced food. As well as individual dining we are also pleased to cater for parties, i.e. small weddings, christenings, shooting parties & birthdays.We also offer a takeaway service - Please enquire withinGift vouchers are also available.
Reviewed February 16, 2018

We called in here for lunch in the middle of a walk. We were given a lovely warm welcome and settled to enjoy a rest by the wood burning stove. We both had haddock and chips which was delicious as was the pint of Theakstons and the glass of white wine. The toilets were immaculate and a much higher standard than the average pub.As our boots were very muddy we took them off outside but the place was so clean that it didn't matter that we were in stocking feet. It is over 20 years since we visited the Blacksmiths Arms but we will certainly be back soon and we wish the lovely young barmaid a safe delivery for her baby. I would really recommend this pub.

2  Thank Sue P

Reviewed January 28, 2018

We were part of a group and had to choose our meals before the evening. We looked online at the menus and made our selections. We thought we were going to get pan fried King Prawns as our starter from the pictures and descriptions on the menu, but these came in heavy batter. I would never have chosen these as my starter had I known. Perhaps we should have phoned for a more recent menu. The steak in the main course was delicious and cooked to our liking, however, the chips were greasy, as were the onion rings. The grilled tomato was tasteless and the mushroom OK. I wish I has ordered a salad instead of the fried accompaniments as it was rather heavy for my taste. The dessert of lemon posset was fine and well presented. The staff were pleasant and helpful and the pub is nicely done out.

3  Thank RACLAS
Reviewed January 22, 2018

We called here for Sunday lunch without booking, just from seeing a sign on the main road other wise we would never have know what an amazing place this was.
We were very much welcomed by the staff and managed to grab the last table and .... right next to the cosy fire.
We had a choice of roasts from Lamb, Beef, Pork and Chicken, We both chose the beef. We didn't have to wait long before it came and WoW there was a full plate full and the beef was cooked exactly how we wanted it. Lots of roast potatoes and a giant home made Yorkshire pud, Fresh veg came separate. There was not one bit of the meal we did not enjoy everything was cooked perfectly.
I would encourage anyone in the area to visit and try the sunday roast, best we have had for ages!!

2  Thank RicardoEastYorkshire
Reviewed January 22, 2018

We visit the Blacksmiths Arms on a regular basis. The staff are friendly and attentive.
The menu is varied with specials on the board, although I nearly always order the fillet steak which I have cooked rare. Because it is well hung, even though it is rare there is no blood running out.

My partner usually has the steak pie, which is filled with tender beef (a man size portion) but looks delicious.

Highly recommend.

1  Thank 123Dex
Reviewed January 18, 2018

Great meals and pleasant staff. We both had steaks which were cooked to perfection. Lovely sweets. Good value for money.

1  Thank Maggie B