“BEST”

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa
Reviewed 10 March 2012

It has been designed as an edgy, modern resort that offers more than a romantic Maldivian escape.The rooms were big.The bathrooms were very clean.The staff was excelent.The hotel is the best.
I will recommend it to everybody.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2012

Greetings from Maldives.

We are delighted to read your review post your stay with us. We have shared your wonderful feedback with the entire team at the resort and they are very happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another memorable experience.

Reviewed 9 March 2012

Excellent property. We stayed in the deluxe lagoon Villas - really enjoyed our stay there. Be warned though that at night during high tied there is lot of noise (water hitting the wooden villa) and the villa shakes a bit! Water activities - snorkling, scuba diving, etc were of high order with excellent staff to guide you.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our resort. Your feedback has been

Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives is nestled amidst one of the largest lagoons in whole of Maldives measuring upto 200 acres approximately. Hence the water levels in the lagoon do not fluctuate much due to low and high tide. The over water bungalows are a unique feature of the Maldives and loved by almost all our guests. It is the sound of the water lapping under the villa which can be very soothing. However, Maldives being a tropical island nation can sometimes experience strong winds.

We look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable holiday.

Reviewed 8 March 2012

I went to the Maldives in July 2011, the Taj Exotica beingt the secong hotel I went to. The hotel was extremly beautiful, and I hated the time when we had to leave. The staff were really friendly and helpful. And the activites were endless. The Taj Exotica is a must-visit!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your lovely review post your stay in July 2011 at our resort. We are all delighted to learn that you enjoyed your holiday at our resort very much. We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the resort and they are very happy to have received the same.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives for another memorable holiday.

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Truly 5 star! Amazing place, very helpful staff, had a fantastic time, the best place I've been ever! The island is quite small but you feel like you're alone all the time. Great food, would highly recommend the Deep End restaurant!

Room Tip: we were in a standard villa without jacuzzi, those villas are located separately from the remaining...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Sunny Maldives.

We are very happy to read your review post your recent holiday with us. It gives us great pleasure to learn that this was your best holiday ever and you loved the culinary offerings at the resort. You wonderful words of appreciation have been communicated to the entire team at the resort who are very happy to have received the same.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Before booking this holiday, we spent hours agonising over the few negative reviews that people gave this resort. I'm sure there are many people who, like me, read the negative reviews first and then often rule out a resort purely on that basis. So let me address the negatives first and put them in context of my 5 star review of the resort:-

Location - this is one of the closest resorts to Male (only 15 minutes speedboat transfer) and is directly in the flight path of the huge jets that land all day long. Some times this seems to be more noticeable than others and at peak times there is a jet about every 15 minutes and then nothing for a few hours. Having said that, once you are immersed in the luxury of your surroundings, you stop noticing them after a day or two.

Food cost - many people have raised this as an issue. You simply CANNOT compare prices with your local restuarant - this is the Maldives - the logistics of getting fresh food onto the islands are complex and lead to a high food cost. This is the reality of the Maldives. The Taj however has taken food quality to an unprecedented level in the Maldives - I am in awe of what they have managed to achieve here as the food is quite simply amazing - the cost is fully justified - budget for it or don't go to this resort. We stayed on a B&B basis - the breakfast menu is superb - no buffet, but rather a comprehensive a le cart menu that you can eat as much as you like from - this easily saw us through to dinner so we ended up only paying for our evening meal which came to around 120USD per night excluding alcohol. We ate one night at "The Deep End" which is an experience not to be missed - this was a bit more expensive but worth every penny - this could rival many Michelin starred restuarants that I have eaten in.

House reef - unfortunately there is no "house reef" at this resort so you might be disappointed if you are an avid snorkeller. There is however an abundance of marine life if you know where to look and the relatively calm waters enclosed by the delux water villas with pools yeilded the best variety of fish, particularly around the base of the columns supporting the wooden walkways to the villas. In one particular photo that I took I counted 7 different species of fish and there were at least 15 different varieties seen on any one day. Although there is a large amount of dead coral in this area, the Taj is actively growing fresh coral and planting new "frames" to encourage coral growth around the island - not something that I'm aware of many other resorts doing. Due to the lack of coral close to the shore, there is an "Ocean Pavillion" built in the sea a little off the shore just next to a lovely coral garden which makes good snorkelling - there is a "shuttle service" by speedboat out to this spot twice a day and this is the single criticism that I could possibly levy at the Taj - there is a charge of 15USD to use the shuttle - I feel this should be a complimentary service for guests or at least each guest should get one complimentary trip out there in view of the absence of coral accessible from the shore. After going there once I was inspired to go even further afield and gladly paid for the daily snorkelling trips with the resident marine biologist to nearby reefs and islands - these are well worth doing as the real beauty of the Maldives lies beneath the water and what you see above pales by comparison.

So those were the negaives. Onto the positives:-

Staff & service - every single staff member we dealt with was happy, friendly, professional. I don't know what system they use to recognise people but from the first day we were greeted by name everywhere we went. The service is without fault and rivals the best hotels I have stayed in anywhere in the world - well done and full marks on this account.

Rooom and facilities - we had a delux water villa with pool - luxury and elegance, beautifully appointed, immaculately tidied twice a day. Perfect.

Spa - do yourself a favour and get over there - the Spa is a cut above the rest - the facilities are outstanding, the treatments comprehensive, the setting sublime.

Food and drinks - if you are a foodie you will love this place. We never had a single meal that we had any complaint with. Do be careful of the dishes marked with a chilli if you don't like spicy food - when they say spicy, they mean spicy. You can of course request anything to be made as you want it so make use of this. Even the bar menu was brilliant and we ended up eating there on 2 of the nights - of course that was probably down to the comprehensive cocktail menu that once we got started on was difficult to move away from .........

Location and setting - the island is tiny - approx 700m long and 25 to 30m wide was what we were told. It is however beautiful - walking through the trees to get to our villa was just fantastic. The layout of the sun loungers along the beach means that you never feel like there are many other people there with you.

Summary - this was not our first trip to the Maldives and certainly will not be our last. We went significantly over our budget on this stay but have no regrets and we would absolutely return to this resort in the future. If you can afford it - don't think, just book - you won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Odd numbered water villas with pools are much more private than even numbered ones.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AVAwayFromHome
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We would like to thank you for your brilliant review post your recent stay at our resort. It gives us great pleasure to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us be it food, snorkelling with the resident marine biologist, relaxing and rejuvenation at the award winning Jiva Grande Spa. We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the resort who are all very happy to have received the same.

You would also be happy to know that in the month of November 2011, Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives was hailed as “TOP GOURMET GETAWAYS IN MALDIVES” by the Conde Nast Traveller.

Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable holiday.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I spent 9 nights in a Beach Villa, we had a wonderful holiday. The sun shined every day the weather was great and the food service and everything else was just wonderful. We stayed last year over the same period and next year we plan the same. Three times in three years I think I can be permitted to say that if you want to go to a jewel of a place then come here.
You cannot ask for better service than what was here, Greg spent a great amount of time making sure that the guests were happy always available but he would not let me buy him a beer. I would like to say thank you to the catering staff and especially the chief who did not did not tire of my requests for "sampling menus" of different products. It was great to see Hassan, front desk when we arrived he gave us superb service on our last visit and again on this one. We
Met Ruby, what a bundle of fire she is, so energetic and wanting everyone to enjoy there holiday. The list of staff is endless and I am so sorry that we cannot name them all. It is only another 11 months until we are back again and counting!!!!

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank alanoasis
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2012

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are delighted to read your review post your second stay at our resort. It gives us great pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay and will be returning in eleven months. We have communicated your feedback to Greg, Hassan, Ruby, the Executive Chef Sheroy Kermani and the entire team at the resort who are very happy to have received such lovely words of appreciation.

We all look forward to welcoming you back at our island paradise for another memorable holiday and this time around Greg will definitely let you buy him a beer.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

I have stayed at a number of Taj hotels in India. It was always a good experience. The Taj Exotica in the Maldives surpasses that. Simply everything in this hotel is perfect, from the lovely room over the lagoon, to the freshly prepared a la carte food, to the spa and the snorkeling excursions.

I booked this hotel through an airline package. I sent them an e-mail prior to departure requesting for a room on one side of the lagoon, and upon arrival they confirmed they had reserved one of the best rooms on the side I had requested.

Couldn’t be better.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank baastje
KunalArya, Manager at Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Greetings from Taj Exotica Resort & Spa, Maldives.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay at our resort. It gives us great pleasure to learn that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay right from the villa to the lagoon and the food all was upto your expectations.

We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the resort who are all very happy to have received the same from you. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emboodhu Finolhu
16.7 km away
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
21.9 km away
Gili Lankanfushi
Gili Lankanfushi
#1 of 1 in Lankanfushi

Been to Taj Exotica Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!