All reviewsbanana shakepizza nighttwo nightsthe ownerdenistidydormguestsshowerometepe
Reviewed December 28, 2017 via mobile

Small hostel, super neat and friendly! Dennis and Patricia are incredibly nice and helpful. They provided multiple tips and advice to make our trip in Ometepe as simple and enjoyable as possible.

I expected a bigger yard when I arrived, but when I realized how close we were from the reserve, my disappointment disappeared instantly.

The hike to the Maderas viewpoint that I booked with them was great. Even though my Spanish isn't great, I was able to understand the guide quite well. He followed our pace during the climb and his info about the plantations, animals and vegetation were very interesting.

Last but not least, the breakfast was the best we had during our trip in Nicaragua. Eggs, toasts,bananas, smoothie... made with a bit of extra love... perfect!

Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Janne R
Reviewed September 17, 2017

I wish I could have stayed here longer. This hostel is very clean and comfortable. I slept in both the dorm (which has 8 beds) and one of the two private rooms. Both were lovely experiences, so you can't go wrong with either choice. The breakfast is very yummy, and the cute dogs and cat are very affectionate.

I don't usually write reviews but I felt the need to write this one. Denis and Patricia, the owners, were wonderful. They gave helpful suggestions of what to do and where to go. They also had two nice and properly functioning bikes to rent. I had an interesting time renting bikes from other establishments. The first place I went to, the bike got a flat tire and I ended up having to walk it back from Ojo de Agua in the pouring rain. It was quite an adventure.

Because of the popularity of this hostel, I was not able to stay as long as I would have liked and had to switch to a much further and more isolated hostel down the road. I rented a bike from that hostel, but the kickstand was broken and kept falling down. When I stopped by La Urraca Loca to meet my new friends from my stay there, Denis got a piece of twine and attached the kickstand for me so that I would be able to ride that bike safely. It wasn't even his bike to fix! What a sweet and thoughtful couple. They also set up a tour of the mangroves by kayak for us.

It was fantastic to stay here and I cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed July 14, 2017 via mobile

Lovely place to spend a few days, felt clean and comfortable!

Breakfast is good and banana smoothie yummy! The owner was great and super helpful! They offer lots of tours.

The best thing to do is rent a scooter and take a tour round the island then you can visit all the popular spots which are difficult to get to by bus.

Visit cafe comprestre if you get a chance! It's great, and so reasonable. We went there everyday (sometimes twice a day)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2017 via mobile

I got intrigued by the excellent reviews of the place so I booked two nights here. Since the two private rooms were already booked, I booked a bed in the dorm.
Denis, the owner, was very friendly over the phone and via email and helped me with directions on how to get there.
The price was also great, $8 dollars per night including free coffee.
When I got there, the great disappointment. I have been in many hostels before and quite frankly couldn't stand the idea of staying there more than one night.
Good things first, the place seemed tidy enough and the beds were absolutely ok. The breakfast was also quite all right (toasts, butter and marmelade, onion omelette, fruit and banana shake).
While the garden in itself was beautiful (lots of flowers and plants), the communal spaces were extremely tiny and basically limited to 2 benches, 3-4 wooden chairs and 3 hammocks. No big tables to socialize, no games, no bar (they didn't even sell beer).
In addition, it rained a lot when I was there and only very few spaces were protected against the rain. You could not even brush your teeth at the sink without getting wet. Same for going in the shower. Speaking of which, the water was extremely cold "because it comes from the volcano", and obviously there was no warm water at all.

Summarizing, I think this can be a great option for people that are looking for nothing more than a bed to crash, but my expectations were just higher than that.

Please also note it's a 200m walk on a (in rainy season) muddy dirt road with no lights to get to the hostel so come prepared.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed April 10, 2017 via mobile

Our stay at La Urraca Loca hostel was without doubt one of the best throughout our travels in central America. The owners, Denis and Patricia, have lived on Ometepe for four years and are eager to share tips and information on how to make the most of your time here. The owners truly go out of their way to make sure you're happy - we got to know them so well that by the end we felt we were staying there as friends rather than as simple guests. Denis and Patricia are well integrated in the community and it's evident they want to share as much as possible with their neighbours- one of them offers a really comprehensive and cheap tour of the finca Magdalena and the petroglyphs which you should definitely do if you have time. We stayed one night in the private bedroom upstairs which comes with a really comfortable mattress and a powerful fan which will make sure you sleep like royalty. As the bedroom was booked the following nights, we stayed one week more in the dorm which was clean and tidy. Also make sure you don't miss the pizza night, where you get to make your own pizza and cook it in wood oven! Patricia also arranged a cheap salsa class with a local guy who definitely knew his moves. If you're visiting ometepe and what to stay somewhere relaxing with a homely you can't miss this place!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple