All reviews romantic destination the open air shower roasted chicken unique location chiang mai northern thai cuisine close to nature arrange transport amazing setting peacocks waterfall driver resort jungle spa insects centerpiece
Reviewed May 17, 2018 via mobile

Yesterday we arrived at Sukantara hotel in Chiang Mai. It has a romantic view and the enviroment is perfect. The accommodation doesn’t looks like the pictures on internet. It’s really neglected. We couldn’t take a swim because the pool was dirty. The room was a tent, and it was not clean, there were a lot of insects in the tent. The first night we slept with our clothes on; actually we didn't sleep at all, afraid of what to expect more... And our expectations and fears came true: today we saw two big spiders in our tent, size about 20 cm! We looked on the internet and we found out it was a huntsmanspider. We went to the Office and ask them to take a look, they didn’t do that and just laughed about it. We packed our suitcases and left. We couldn’t sleep in this horrifying accomodation. We stayed thus only one of the three nights we had booked. What we saw was totally unacceptable and we would advice everone to NOT GO THERE unless you love dirt, primitive accomodation (which is really not in line with the room prices!) and creepy crawlers. Imagine there could be children sleeping in that tent. The spider we saw may not be very poisonous, but a bite can make you sick for a few days.....

Date of stay: May 2018
1  Thank Leon V
Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

Aeh is an amazing host and goes above the call of duty. She stayed up until early hours of the morning organizing a last minute activity for us so that we didn't miss out. Nothing is ever a problem and she is so happy to help with anything. The views are spectacular and there is nothing nicer than falling asleep to the sounds of the cascade... having nature all around makes the experience so peaceful and relaxing. We stayed in jacuzzi room and it was wonderful. Dont forget to have a piece of belgian chocolate cake made by Aeh... it is heaven in a mouthful. We are so glad we got to experience this little sanctuary in the mountains of Chiang Mai.

Date of stay: February 2018
Reviewed February 11, 2018 via mobile

This is a very unique experience. You can stay in comfy villa nearby waterfall. The ambiance is super chilling, relaxing and peaceful. Such a perfect place for vacation and getaway. Don't miss to experience a treatment at thier Chida Spa. The therapist is so nice and her massage skill is superb! Dinner by the waterfall is also awesome. Try thier homemade cake and Thai northern food, supper yummy!

Date of stay: February 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

My boyfriend suprised me with 2 nights here during our stay in Chiangmai for my birthday- what a treat!

We arrived in the dark, so I couldn’t really see too much of the surroundings but it sounded so tropical. I couldn’t believe the waterfall from the open hotel reception and restaurant area, which was lit up so looked really beautiful. The lady on reception (I’m sorry I didn’t get your name!) greeted us in the most friendly way; so lovely and welcoming. She told us to go and shower/relax and then come back for dinner, which we did. I’m really suprised with other reviews about the kitchen being closed, as it was the total opposite for us.

We were really lucky to have the table right on the waterfall to ourselves and the dinner was delicious- really recommend the Tom Yum Soup and the Thai Curry. Delicious! My boyfriend had mentioned it was my birthday that day when we checked in, and after dinner she suprised us both with a cake stand with 3 different cakes and candles and even sang to me! I thought my boyfriend had arranged this but it turns out she had done it herself as a suprise! I felt really touched because it was such a lovely and kind gesture and really made both our nights in such a magical setting.

The setting of the hotel is wonderful. Hearing the waterfall when you go to bed and as soon as you wake up is just incredible; I found it to be so relaxing. I loved the peacocks running around as well- just be careful, they will hoover up your breakfast if you leave it too long! Haha!

It is in a rural setting but for us that was perfect. We went ziplining up the road (fab!) and hiked to the top of the waterfall. Otherwise, just relaxing and enjoying the hotels amazing setting.

The staff were exceptional and really made our visit. We would definately go back so thank you Team Sukantara!

Sarah & Adam
X

Date of stay: January 2018
Reviewed January 4, 2018

I am excited to review Sukantara Cascade because we were initially a bit concerned given the variety of reviews. No concern was needed!! This is a beautiful property and resort. The location with the water fall literally flowing through the property is amazing and more beautiful than the pictures describe. This is a rustic, family run resort in a remote setting. The food is over the top incredible and the staff is totally awesome, especially Dan, who drove us around. Each person went out of their way to meet our needs and answer questions. The rooms are simple (albeit a bit tired) but very comfortable. Showers open to the outside. The spa is great. Had one of the best massages I have ever had. If you are looking for perfection in every way, go to one of the chain or luxury resorts. If you are looking for beautiful, comfortable, unique and simple, this is your place. Tip: get a room as close to water fall as possible. A couple of rooms are near the road which was not a huge problem for us but we will try to be closer to waterfall next time. Try the roasted chicken and herb dish which is an old family recipe of Northern Thai cuisine. Do not hesitate to stay here!!! It is absolutely fabulous. and a fun experience.

Room tip: Near waterfall. All rooms are very lovely.
Date of stay: December 2017