“Scenic location, friendly hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Notchland Inn

The Notchland Inn
Brussels, Belgium
“Scenic location, friendly hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The inn was not too busy when we arrived, so one of the hosts showed us the rooms which were available at the time and let us select the room to our liking. Our room was large and airy with all modern amenities, including a free Wi-Fi.

The location is very scenic; buildings are well preserved and maintained. Furthermore, for added charm, it is the only B&B I’ve ever heard of that has its own train station (but I would not recommend travelling there by train).

The hosts were attentive but discreet. They gladly provided us with local sightseeing information which was very useful. The home-cooked breakfast was simply fantastic. One evening we had dinner in-house which was also very good.

It was an enjoyable stay and I would return in a heart beat.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PrincePolo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Westford, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

The Notchland Inn is by far the most relaxing and enjoyable stay I have ever experienced. This was my second visit to the Inn and it surpassed the first - exactly a year ago. Staying in the [Crawford] Notch area in March is a peaceful experience - and this location offers quiet, tree-filled, serene views and exceptionally personal attention to every detail of one's wishes and needs! The rooms all have working WOOD fireplaces and very comfortable beds and usually sitting areas. The innkeepers and their staff all convey that being your hosts is easy and most enjoyable - while being aware of every guest's needs and wishes. We ate dinner 2 nights at the inn (next to the wood-burning fireplace in the dining room), and both times every bite was heavenly, and the service impeccable. The menu changes each evening that they serve dinner, and there are quite a few choices for each course - and, of course, "seconds on dessert until they run out or you give up!" The grounds and nearby walking areas are lovely, even (especially?) when covered with snow. The rest of the Inn offers 2 cozy "common" sitting rooms (with working fireplaces) and puzzles, a piano, welcoming seating and 2 daily papers (and, I believe, the Sunday NY Times). We also enjoyed an HD broadcast nearby (in Freyburg, ME) of "She Stoops to Conquer" performed by the National Theatre of London - how's that for sophisticated culture while enjoying a peaceful sojourn?There are many excellent restaurants fairly close, and charming towns to visit with great LOCAL shops, bookstores, and other ways to support local, independent businesses.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emily002
Damascus, Syria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have stayed at the Notchland Inn on two incredibly fortunate occasions. The first was in late November 2011. I stayed with my husband in the crawford room while two other members of my family stayed in the lower level of the school house. The rooms and space overall were so incredibly well-appointed, cozy and warm - all the rooms feature wood-burning fireplaces - that we decided to rent the entire inn for a three-day-long celebration in February 2012. I had the great luck of getting to see each and every room in February when I left flower arrangements and gifts for my guests in the rooms. I can attest that each room is a work of art - completely unique from all the others and entirely beautiful. The beds are amazingly comfortable and the feel of the place overall is precisely what one would hope for in a romantic getaway. The Notchland Dining Room is a wonderful place to eat - in fact we had our big celebratory dinner there. All the food was prepared to perfection. Most importantly, the inn keepers, Ed and Les, are just about the kindest, most welcoming, sweet, professional, and intelligent men you could dream up. And their two dogs, who live in the house, are fantastically charming. Needless to say, I will always go back to Notchland to make great memories. It's a gem.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Evelyn A
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

I couldn't have ask for a better experience. The Notchland Inn was perfect. We stayed in one of the less expensive rooms and we still had a wonderfully comfy bed and a fireplace in our room that we used every night. I only downside for some is it is an old house and some things are warn, but I think that adds to the charm and experience. There were games around the house to use and the benise mountain dogs were very sweet. Breakfast every morning was made to order and part of the cost, we ordered off a menu with many options while the sun bathed us and we looked at the weather report the innkeepers provided us. The property is beautiful and close to many outdoor activities. We also enjoyed sitting in the sun room in the morning. Normally it would be too pricey for us but we used a living social coupon. I can't wait to go back

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skichels
Manchester, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012 via mobile

A beautiful setting, a quaint inn, charming hosts, delicious food and lovely dogs equals an exquisite experience. I stayed in the Kinsman suite and found it to be a delightful mix of old and new. The room was spacious and spotless, the bed comfortable and the lack of TV and other background noise meant a most comfortable evening was in store for me. I want to return. Now. If you are seeking a peaceful, secluded (but not isolated) and comfortable place to stay th Notchland is not to be missed.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Plmjmp
Darlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

We had previously stayed at Notchland five years ago and had been longing to go back ever since. We finally made it a few weeks ago. We hoped that it would not spoil our happy memories and thankfully it did not. In fact it surpassed them.

Ed, Les and their team, together with their dogs make a stay at Notchland seem like a holiday with extended family.

It’s difficult to beat a well prepared, very relaxed five course dinner followed by some time playing with the dogs then heading upstairs to read by a crackling log fire in your room. Add in some magnificent scenery, some walking, snow shoeing or in our case snowmobiling and it makes for the perfect place for a long weekend.

We loved the arts and crafts furniture and decoration, making the most of the period features of the house. The collection of games, books and a part-finished jigsaw for guest’s entertainment and the ‘lived-in’ furniture all add to the beautiful atmosphere of the place.

We can’t wait for our next visit. Having been in the fall and now in the winter we need to return in the summer to try out the swimming hole in the nearby river.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Creamegg
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

My husband and I went with another couple over President's Day Weekend, 2012. I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiance, the rooms, the staff, the service and the food. The inn has a real historic feel. Our rooms were very big and included a sitting area with a working fireplace. There were also 2 parlors with fireplaces downstairs where we could hang out as well. There were many choices for breakfast. We opted for the 5-course dinner both nights. The food was delicious and well worth the price. The owners and staff were very friendly and witty. They have 2 Burmese Mountain dogs who were very friendly and mellow and cuddly. I highly recommend the Notchland Inn & can't wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Nordic Village Resort
#5 of 12 in Bartlett
36.5 km away
Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa

Been to The Notchland Inn? Share your experiences!