All reviews private balcony harbour master infinity pool great view steep walk breakfast is served in town day bed the main street drinking water each morning pancakes harbour view boat trip nice guy komodo national park stay in labuan bajo
Reviewed October 16, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here for one night after a liveaboard and was perfect for what we needed. We had a huge air conditioned room with fantastic views across the harbour. Breakfast was good, the pool area was nice to relax by, and we found the service friendly and helpful. Graham was also very responsive in the lead up to, and just before, our stay.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bajokw, Owner at Bayview Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2018

Thanks for the positive review Sophie
Glad you enjoyed your stay

Reviewed October 9, 2018

Please don't ignore the bad reviews - we did, and came to regret it! We booked 4 nights and left after 1.

Our contact with Graham was great before we arrived, however once we were shown to the room we were extremely disappointed. The floors and windows were dirty, the patio doors didn't close properly so mosquitoes could get into the room, plug sockets weren't working, the pool was green and cloudy etc., however the biggest disappointment was when we heard the construction noise. When booking the room I had read reviews that mentioned construction noise, so I emailed Graham checking that this would be finished by the time we arrived - he said it may overrun but that harbour master suites were far away from the construction site so I reserved a high level room. This was a blatant LIE, as the construction was less than 50m away, just up the hill from the room (7am - 9pm). We said we were not prepared to pay the original amount for this room so asked for a lower rate or we would check out, as we would not have booked the room if we'd known about the construction.

We were declined a discount but offered the solution of a different room but it was directly under our original room so we could still very clearly hear the construction - we declined the offer and checked out. The manager was very apologetic even though it wasn't his fault, but we heard very very little from Graham. We moved to Bintang Flores which I highly recommend over this hotel - cleaner, quieter, cheaper and much better value! I emailed Graham wanting an explanation for the lie, and giving him a chance to resolve the situation before I left a review, however he barely apologised and accused me of blackmailing him!

This was meant to be the nicest stay of our trip for our anniversary, but we had stayed in much nicer places for a fraction of the price! The rooms, management and customer support all need improvement for this place to be worth the price. Please trust the bad reviews and don't give this hotel business until it has sorted out its issues and listened to disappointed customers - I know we regret it.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bajokw, Owner at Bayview Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2018

This was a " blackmail review"
Essentially, the guest wanted a financial payment in return for not writing a negative review
They made an issue of noise from construction that was undetectable to other guests.
They knew there could be some construction noise but it would be restricted to daytime only.
The hotel is in the town ,above the port where there is the normal noise associated with a fishing port....boats, mosque, motorbikes....all of which are at a much greater volume than any minor construction works
When I suggested this, the guest claimed they had "selective sensitivity" to certain types of noise

Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

What a disappointment! The first night we spent in the old rooms as the suites were not available for the first night of our stay. The AC in one of the rooms didn’t work and the staff was incapable of fixing it. Then in the evening the bathroom sink started leaking and the entire bathroom floor was flooded. After letting someone at the reception know to please send someone to fix it, someone came to “mop the floor up” and left, never to return again to fix anything. We also stored our valuables in the safety box in the other room only to later find out that the safe was broken and we couldnt open it by ourselves, neither could any of the staff help us. As we were taking a boat trip the next day we needed to access the money from the deposit box. We emailed the owner and never received an answer to this date. The next day they thankfully brought a key to open the safe. We later found out that the owner actually lives at the hotel as well so he could have easily dropped off the key to the safe. Or he could have at least apologized. Funnily enough, the owner was always quick to reply to emails before our stay there but once we made a complain you never heard from him again. Then we moved into the suites on the second day. The suites are way nicer than the other rooms but still we were annoyed every morning as the staff was incapable of bringing us the breakfast we ordered. You’re supposed to write down your breakfast order the previous day but they always forgot to bring half of the stuff we asked for. On our last day they didn’t bring us any butter so we asked them three times to bring us butter. We even walked to the restaurant to get it ourselves and after about 15 mins of them telling us they would bring it they finally admitted they didn’t have any butter left. Why couldn’t they tell us from the beginning that they were out of butter? So ridiculous. Another moment that I would like to mention is that as we stood at the reception one evening petting the super cute dog, the woman working there told us all about how she loves to eat dog meat and all that crap. Sorry, but as a dog lover, I was absolutely disgusted by the things she was saying. If you want to eat dog meat then whatever, but don’t talk about it to a family who obviously adores dogs. The pool was super dirty. The water was green and kind of milky. As we have a pool of our own we know what a dirty pool looks like and how you have to mentain it. The hotel has potential as the new suites are nice, but the staff and management are a joke!

Trip type: Travelled with family

I am often not at the hotel but I manage to handle booking enquiries.
We have a full time manager whose phone number is displayed clearly in the room compendium.
When the guest sent an email at 9.30pm to say they couldn't open the safe,...(they had forgotten their code), I contacted our manager , who then came to the hotel at 6.30 am to open the safe with the master key..
My staff tell me that the guests complaints are highly exaggerated including the condition of the pool which, is monitored , cleaned, and adjusted daily

Reviewed October 6, 2018 via mobile

For my visit to Labuan Bajo, I was intending to stay for three nights at this hotel. There was a slight hiccup with my reservation, though - but I‘ll come to that later.

Upon arrival at Komodo airport, I was picked up by the hotel‘s manager for a 3min drive to the premise. The checkin was very smooth and I was shown to my gorgeous room. The room itself was huge, tastefully furnished and had an amazing view over the harbour. In addition to that, it came with a private terrace. Please be aware that the rooms are not very well insulated against noise - if you‘re sensitive in this respect, ask for one of the rooms further away from the road.

The hotel also offers an amazing infinity pool where you can watch the gorgeous sunset. In their restaurant, you can order relatively simple, yet tasty food. Also the breakfast was good and made to order for the time that I requested. Staff was all great - very helpful and good English skills.

So far, so good. Since I was interrupting my stay for a one-night liveaboard in Komodo NP, I actually had two reservations and the reservation for the second stay was lost. This was rather unfortunate since they were fully booked. The hotel was, however, very professional in handling the situation - for the two night stay, they offered me the option to either stay for two nights in another hotel or one night at Bayview Gardens and one night at another hotel. Both options would be fully free of charge for me. I went for option two and was very happy with the handling the situation - until I was taken to the other hotel, the Luwansa Beach Resort. That one was very run-down and dirty and as such certainly no replacement for Bayview Gardens (please cf. my separate review). So I ended up staying at Puri Sari Hotel instead at my own expense (which was amazing and priced similar to Bayview Gardens). All in all, I therefore paid for two nights instead of three, which was all in all still fine for me.

In summary, I was pleased with the stay at Bayview Gardens, but have to deduct one point for the poor choice of replacement hotel.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed September 30, 2018

This (not so) little place up in the hills amidst lush gardens has sweeping views on the harbor and all the islands, including Komodo. The Master Suites are quiet large, with beautiful balcony and the best views, big bathrooms, safe box, and generous (if not too tasty) breakfasts served on your own private balcony. The infinite medium size swimming pool under frangipani and tamarind trees is a perfect place to chill out and admire the sunset. Please be aware that Labuan Bajo is a very busy harbor town and that due to its location, Bayview Gardens is very noisy, day and night; so if you prefer to sleep in a noiseless environment, you might have to chose one of the resorts hotel south of Labuan Bajo.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Bajokw, Owner at Bayview Gardens Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2018

Thanks for the positive review
We will look at improving the breakfast
Graham