All reviews dive sites italian night amazing diving pygmy seahorse manta rays diving experience frog fish national park marine life flamboyant cuttlefish macro stuff boat crew ghost pipefish open water blue ring octopus muck dive bat tour
Reviewed July 30, 2017

From beginning to end a very good experience. The resort is lovely, the diving and instructors very well organized and the underwater world incredible. Recommended to stay 4-5 dive days.

Thank you Ben and Angela for taking care of us so well.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2017 via mobile

THE DIVING
Can't let on too much, except i)SAFETY is of paramount importance; and ii)that there is a multitude of sites.
Groups are kept small: up to 4 divers per DM, all of whom are very experienced & extremely knowledgeable in every aspect of diving, especially in this particular (very large) area. GEAR regularly serviced & updated. Briefing VERY detailed but concise.
VESSELS are comfortable and diver-friendly. Lots of space to relax in upper-deck which provides shade if you're not a sun-worshiper like I am. Mattresses & beanbags are an added luxury - and there seems to be enough for everyone!
BREAKFAST - buffet-style: breadrolls & spreads, fruit, pancakes, fried eggs FREE-FLOW Tea, coffee, milo & water
LUNCH is served after your second dive. RICE plus a meat dish. The vegetarian dish is available to everyone AFTER any vegetarians on board have had their fill. When you return after a day's diving, hot snacks await. Bar will also be open (alcoholic drinks on your own tab)
THE RESORT:
Food is amazing. Staff bend over backwards to please.
We stayed in a double-bedded Bale (huts) with shared facilities. Very good value for money. Our hut got swept & tidied everyday. Towels & bed-linen are provided. These are changed on request only. Please use your own towel for the boat. We found that we didn't need one but everyone is different.
THE FACILITIES
Bale dwellers share unisex facilities. There are 4 cubicles comprising of toilet & cold shower. These are cleaned twice daily. Because the resort is on an island, DO NOT FLUSH TOILET PAPER DOWN. USE THE BINS PROVIDED.
Hygiene is a high priority here. In the Meeting area/ Dining Lounge, a bottle of Hand santiser is never more than an arm's stretch away.
SECURITY:
There is a lockable (combination padlock) double-compartment cupboard in the Bale. We used our own padlocks.If you are concerned with security, which is REALLY not an issue at all, the Crew are happy to lock your passport & wallet in the office which you can only access if Management is present.
MEALS:
Just like Mum's cooking!
Because of the early starts, only toast & tea, coffee or milo is served. Full breakfast is served on the boat.
BREAKFAST on resort: Eggs of your choice, pancake & fruit.
LUNCH on Dry Days: Different one-plate dish each day: Indonesian Fried Rice, Vege Soup, Fried Noodles or Gado-gado (between1130-1230hrs) Crew will tell you what's on beforehand.
DINNER: Dishes that remind me of Mum's cooking. Buffet-style: Creamy soup, rice, two sometimes three meat choices, 2 vegetable dishes, VERRRRRY spicy asian salsa, fresh cut fruit
No limit to whoever helps themselves to the vegetarian option this time.
Once a week- ITALIAN NIGHT with pizza, spaghetti bolognaise & THE BEST gnocchi I've ever tasted!!!

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne L
Reviewed July 26, 2017

I have nothing but good words to say about this place. I spent 4 days diving with Scuba Junkie which included doing my AOWC. I could have easily dived another 2 days and kick myself for not staying longer. All the staff that work there both front and back of house were very friendly and helpful. All the dives I did were exceptional, I will never forget "The Cauldron", that's for sure and the sea life was probably the best I've seen to date and will no doubt take some beating. The mantas are magic. The scuba junkie set up is great if you do not want to spend your time on a liveaboard, but still be within a short distance of the great dive spots. The communal area is a great spot for meeting people and having a few drinks in the evening. They also know how to throw a party as witnessed on the night of their second birthday, a few sore heads in the morning, but that stopped nothing the next day. Still in its infancy, so I am sure it will get even better as the years go by. If I come back to Komodo, which I hope I do, then this is where I would stay and dive. Special thanks to Ben for AOWC, Michelle for the other two days diving / manta pics and Ewan and Carys for organising. Hope the whole team is doing well and hope to meet again. All the best. Steve

Date of stay: June 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed July 25, 2017 via mobile

A return trip to SJ Komodo did not disappoint. Although fewer Manta Rays around this time, the sites were as awesome as ever.
DMs - Angela,Yadi and Fandy made the dives so good and the evening Bat tour made this visit spectacular.
I'll be back in sure.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 24, 2017

We dived and snorkeled with Scuba Junkie during July. Diving lived up to our expectations and we visited a diverse mix of the sites Komodo has to offer. Every one of our 15 dives offered something special and memorable. Scuba Junkie take safety seriously, but fun runs a close second. Komodo is famous for its currents - but many sites have little or no current or are dived when the currents are at their weakest. We had every confidence in their selection of sites and understanding of the conditions. Dives are planned to cater for the capabilities of the divers, which means that even within a dive site groups may dive different areas. Divemasters are awesome - special thanks to Fandi and Maxi. The snorkeling is also amazing - snorkelers also have their own guide and are well looked after.

At the resort the accommodation is comfortable and clean - we stayed in the fan cooled rooms. The bales are the other option. The atmosphere at the resort is really friendly - staff make the travellers feel really welcome, like old friends. As older visitors we never felt out of place despite the generally younger age of most of our fellow guests. Food was also good and plenty of it - you won't go hungry here.

We were in Labuan Bajo for a couple of days after our dive trip which confirmed that we had made the right choice staying at Scuba Junkie. Hope to come back and dive here again!

• Trip type: Travelled with family