“Lovely Sunday Roast”

The White Horse Inn & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Thruxton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 December 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed a family get together on Sunday 8th December. Very welcoming bar area with fire and comfy sofas to sit and enjoy a drink and a relax before eating. Adults had the Roast Beef and Roast lamb lunch, granddaughter the fish and chips. The roast dinners were superb, beautifully cooked meat, fantastic roast potatoes and vegetables - really good sized portions too. There was a selection of bread and butter on the table along with a bottle of tap water - a nice touch! Granddaughter enjoyed her fish and chips. Puddings were a delight, homemade with HUGE selection of ice creams to suit all tastes! Service was attentive - all in all highly recommended!

Room Tip: Didn't stay over, so cannot comment on the rooms!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cigala
Joel W, Manager at The White Horse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Your comments are very much appreciated and we are glad that you had such a great time. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Stayed here on a business trip. The traditional low beams and solid fuel fire set the ambience from the start. Then there's the food. I had the T bone steak which is usually quite difficult to find in most restaurants which was absolutely fantastic. For breakfast, they will cook whatever you want (within reason). Don't let it proximity to the A303 put you off, there was very little traffic noise, although we did have a room at the other end of the building. Staff brilliant, nothing too much trouble. Wouldn't hesitate staying here again if I'm in the area

Room Tip: room away from the A303
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
norellechef, Manager at The White Horse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you again

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have eaten at here on numerous occasions and it never fails to impress. It has improved even more in the last few months, not sure if this is due to new management but the service is friendlier- the food just as good. You cant go wrong. If I ever have "out of town" guests I will always take them here to save the embarrassment of a bad meal. I know they will deliver every time. great wholesome pub food at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
norellechef, Manager at The White Horse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Your comments are very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I know very little about The White Horse Inn which sounds like a poor point to start from when writing a review ! What I can say, however, is that today was my third visit whilst travelling between Sussex and Somerset, a trip I take four or five times a year. It appears to be a family run business and the attention and service I received was very good. I was also very impressed to see that when another customer arrived with dietary problems the staff quickly brought the chef out to discuss his issues with him and give advice which ended with the chef slightly amending one of her dishes to suit the customers needs. All of this for someone who, like me, was not eating in their lovely restaurant section but just having a "bar meal". Turning to my own lunch I am delighted to say that I enjoyed a beautifully prepared and presented meal of Belly Pork that met the consistently high standard that I had experienced on my previous two visits. I will continue to make this charming venue my chosen port of call when I am passing their way.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank PeteRustington

Thank you for your review and your continued support Pete. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

We were driving down to Cornwall to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary...three hours driving and it was now lunch time. We were on the A303 and noticed a small sign leading us off the main road to a "village pub". So we discovered the White Horse at Thruxton and what a find!

A lovely old thatched pub with a real village atmosphere...strange as the A303 runs about 20 feet away from the pub! We were greeted by friendly bar staff who after serving us with drinks, promptly arranged for us to be shown through to the restaurant area. Once seated we were given menus and told about the days specials. As we only wanted a quick'ish lunch, my wife opted for the Wild Mushroom Risotto whilst I went for the Pork Sausages, Garlic Mash and red wine jus served with seasonal vegetables. Fresh home baked bread was bought to our table while we were waiting for our meals, the restaurant being fairly busy at the time. The meals were superb. The risotto was very tasty with a good selection of mushrooms, the pork sausages were tasty and meaty, the garlic mash was buttery and lots of garlic...lovely!

We both had coffee to finish our meals and were on our way to Cornwall.

It is a shame that you are so far away from Essex or we would be back for a full meal with you very soon. However you are now on our list of stops whenever we head 'down west'!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John_C_1956

Thank you for you lovely review. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to cornwall.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

A fabulous evening was had by all here when I arranged a surprise birthday get together for my boyfriend. The chef was more than accommodating for our request for birthday nibbles / platter and let us reserve a seated sofa area for friends and family to join us. We had a great evening, food was delicious, staff very friendly and helpful and made us so welcome we will all be back very soon to try out the tempting a la carte menu that we had a peak at.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blondie3767
norellechef, Manager at The White Horse Inn & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

Stopped off here in June for lunch and was impressed with the food and the lovely building and garden, so when the chance of a couple of nights away came up we chose here for one of the nights. The room was spacious, light, comfortable and clean. The food was fab, thanks to Norelle the chef (that girl can cook!), John the owner who was friendly and accommodating, bar manager was most helpful as were the restaurant staff. Overall a relaxing stay in an Inn with bags of character. Can't wait to go again. Thank you to all the staff for making it a great experience!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Angie K

Thank you for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thruxton
7.8 km away
11.4 km away
George & Dragon
George & Dragon
#1 of 1 in Hurstbourne Tarrant

Been to The White Horse Inn & Restaurant? Share your experiences!