“Exceptional service and food.”

Cross Foxes Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Brithdir
Price range: C$14 - C$44
Cuisines: British, Bar, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed April 19, 2024 via mobile

Booked last minute for a Friday lunchtime with the family, six adults in total. Fantastic choice on the menu, something for all tastes, we were served in both Welsh and English, which suited us as we were four Welsh and two English and we all felt we had excellent service with a very warm welcome and just the right amount of banter. My father especially enjoyed his haddock and chips, my husband and sister their katsu chicken curry, with as we like things in Wales, half and half ( half chips /half rice) , my brother in law devoured his Welsh lamb burger with an extra side of the biggest onion rings I’ve ever seen! My mother ordered the Welsh beast beef burger ( minus the bun) which she found beautifully lean and tender, I had the Asian bbq beef ribs which was lip smackingly good, if you are looking for a warm, atmospheric eatery with 1st class service and food I thoroughly recommend The Cross foxes . Thanks to all the team for a really enjoyable meal.

Date of visit: April 2024

Reviewed April 7, 2024

We have enjoyed many lunches at the Cross Foxes, always good, and have often talked about trying the curry night, which is held on the last Friday of every month. It was still being held on Good Friday, so we booked in.

The main dining space here is lovely, tables spaced well apart and lighting bright enough to see what one is eating, dipped enough to give atmosphere.

The usual menu is available in addition to the Curry Night. The Curry Night menu gives you the opportunity to choose your meat or fish and then team it with the curry sauce, which are listed by strength, with the 'Bad Boy' being the hottest.

The set menu then gives you the option of choosing up to four accompaniments - such as onion bhaji, roti, samosa etc, rice in included.

We chose lamb dansak and Balti Akabar Cham Cham (whole chicken breast).

We were served poppadums and chutneys whilst we were waiting for our mains. As we had ordered a 'Set Menu for Two', we rather imagined that the food would be brought to the table in serving dishes, so that we could both dip into both curries but, when it arrived, each was served on a discreet plate and so we struggled a little (with just a fork each) to split each in half and share.

Whilst the lamb literally melted in one's mouth and the chicken was equally tender, we both felt that the sauces were disappointing, particularly the Balti. The consistency was good but the flavour and spice were somewhat lacking. Obviously flavour, particularly when it involves spice and heat, are subjective, but we were both hoping for more.

And then, the strangest thing, our dishes were cleared away from the curry course and we asked if we could see the dessert menu. Other diners were at the poppadom stage of their meal and so had something to distract them but, for a period of 15-20 minutes there were no staff in the dining room at all. We could hear things going on in the kitchen, but no-one coming out.

Eventually, staff began to appear again and we asked again for the dessert menu. It arrived at the third time of asking and we did share a delicious Rhubarb and Custard Eton Mess, and a creamy cappuccino.

it could just be a case of having been interested in the curry night for a long time and having overly high expectations. We enjoyed the environment and the overall experience of then staying the night afterwards, but we don't think we would return for another curry night.

Reviewed April 1, 2024

Called for lunch whilst taking my son back home. It looked good when we have passed before. Looked it up and it sounded lovely.
The whole experience was without fault . However, on returning home I looked up the food hygiene rating. I was so shocked to find that it has a rating of 0. I'm horrified to be honest. How can they trade with a rating so poor and why does no one else seem to find this a problem. Have I made a mistake? My food was lovely and so were the staff. The toilets were new and very clean. WHAT AM I NOT GETTING. AM I STUPID?

Date of visit: October 2023
Reviewed March 25, 2024

Lovely place to stay. Nice room and good food available including at breakfast. Great base for walking and cycling in a very beautiful part of Wales.

Reviewed March 13, 2024

Despite living in the area for over 60 years this was my first visit to the Cross Foxes. We had a wonderful Sunday lunch, the meat was perfect that perfectly complemented the entire meal. Only verdict is Excellent