“A day to remember”

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A day to remember”
Reviewed 10 August 2010

My daughter and I had the pleasure of boarding Captain McRae's boat the Waypoint 04 on Aug 03. (It was a birthday present). We started the trip at 9am out of the harbour in Tignish on our way mackeral fishing. We were out on the water only a few minutes when Captain McRae detected the mackeral on his radar. He stopped the boat and began to show us one by one how to use the fishing rods and the best way to catch the fish. Our first try was pretty much unsuccessful...I caught 4 that dropped back into the water before I got them on board the boat. After some tips from Captain McRae's crew member Christian I got the next two fish onto the boat without incident. It was very exciting to catch fish so quickly. We tried a few different spots once the mackeral moved on and for the whole trip I caught a total of 21 fish (included the first 4 fish I lost). At some points it was just like I dropped the hook and had to pull it out again right away. My daughter (who is 4.5yrs old) was so excited she just kept yelling, "Mom's got another one" when I caught one. During one of our sails Captain McRae filleted the fish that we'd caught and prepared it on the BBQ for us during our trip...you can't get any fresher than that. Following us for our whole trip were seagulls and garnets. They were very interesting to watch. The garnets especially...they'll fly up in the air and dive down into the water to catch the fish at the bottom. When Captain McRae was filleting the fish they were all fighting over the leftovers. It was something I'd never seen before. After fishing was over Captain McRae took us to see the seals gathering at the North Cape reef. It's the longest natural rock reef in North America. There looked to be hundreds gathered around the reef. They were swimming around all together I'd never seen so many together at one time. After seeing the seals we headed back to the wharf. The trip in all took 4 hours. Captain McRae cleaned the fish on our way back so we could take them home to cook ourselves if we wanted to. It was a wonderful day in all...I'll definitely be doing it again next year.

4 Thank tignishbunny