Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Book In Advance

Ways to Experience Loughcrew Megalithic Cairns
from US$51.80
More Info
All reviews steep climb coffee shop passage tomb highest point well worth the effort take your time own pace sunny day views are stunning stone carvings magical place county meath heritage centre flash light well worth the trip tour group amazing site
Reviewed September 27, 2017

We hadn't heard of this spot before booking our campsite. There is a steepish climb up from the parking area, but there were very few people around so it was easy to stop and have a look around. There is no charge for admission but there were some OPW tour guides waiting to pass on information about the monument. They were friendly and interested in their job. The guide gave each of us a chunky torch to use when we stepped inside the tomb. It is hard to believe that people are allowed to just get right in there and touch the carvings if they want etc as they are so old. The guide offered a good mix of folklore to engage the children as well as dates and facts. He also willingly took the time to point out the 18 counties visible from the top of the hill. Some other tourists arrived then and while the guide was busy they ignored the signs about not trampling up over the actual cairn. They climbed right up onto it which just shows their stupidity as they only ended up four or five feet higher than us on the highest point in the whole area. The guide spotted them and roared at them to get down. Good to see a bit of passion and interest in our culture and their job!

Date of experience: July 2017
1  Thank mumdadthreekids
Reviewed September 19, 2017

We visited on a rainy, windy, day, and it was still fabulous. It's definitely worth the trudge up the hill--I'm out of shape and it took me 25 minutes, including two stops to catch my breath. At the top I could see vague shapes of nearby hills, along with rock tombs scattered across the landscape. A classic, unspoiled site in Ireland's Ancient East--keep it to yourself.

Date of experience: September 2017
1  Thank JRMNebraska
Reviewed September 2, 2017 via mobile

nice climb to top with sheep around..... What a view at top. Camp site nice..busy with tents. Facilities very good...games room, kitchen ..hob..sink..charge points. Cafe .. Wee shop

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed August 31, 2017

We went here with 4 children. It is about a 15 / 20 minute walk uphill to the site from the entrance.

The site has 1 well preserved Cairn and several others which have been damaged over time. The views are stunning and well worth the walk, even on a dull day.

We went in the morning for the guided tour, which is free. The OPW guide was very friendly and knowledgeable. Inside the passage tomb, the 5000 year old artwork is very well preserved and some of the most detailed I've seen having visited many similar passage tombs in Ireland, including Newgrange.

Lovely piece of history.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed August 29, 2017

Depending on your fitness and mobility levels it may take you 15/25 minutes to get to the top, as the marked route across the fields is steep enough, but gradual (see my photos). But it is worthwhile, as the views from the summit are beautiful, especially on a clear day, and the Loughcrew Cairn is also well worth seeing.
Guides are only in attendance from June to August. You can still visit at all other times of the year, but to enter the inner chamber tomb, which I would urge you to do, you will need to get a key before you start the climb, which I understand is available in the cafe/coffee shop about 200 metres from the car park. Have a torch with you so that you can see the Neolithic artwork.
This cairn is older than the more famous Newgrange cairn. However, entrance is free and far less numbers visit it, although I was a bit unfortunate to arrive for my visit at the same time as a large coach load of people and another organised group. Only about eight people at a time are allowed into the inner chamber, and even that is crowded. I would like to return another time, off season, when there would be far less people and I would be less rushed in the inner chamber. There are also the remains of other passage tombs on the surrounding site. Fascinating to realise that these are older than the pyramids in Egypt. It is an interesting alternative to Newgrange – less touristy but no facilities on site.
There are two approach roads. One is narrow, the other is narrower, but I had no trouble on the narrower one. The GPS co-ordinates are – 53.744443 : 7.118873

Date of experience: August 2017