All reviews nespresso machine delightful couple one night dressing room balcony overlooking perfect hosts cooked eggs peace and quiet bread chateau de home made fruit juice luxurious bed catherine guests bedroom luxury
Reviewed September 15, 2016

Disgraceful Business Ethics

Château de la Marine

This review has been put off for some time as I wished to write an ethical report about the poorest treatment I have experienced from a hotel in my life ..

For those of you that have ever put in order a traveling campaign which entails the assistance of other contributors, including hotels, planning and co-ordinating dates will play an integral part of the process.

Whilst arranging hotels for stop overs to coincide with art gallery visits and media interviews, I booked the Chateau de la Marine on the 3rd of May 2016 @1502hrs UK time for a 2 night stay on Friday 5th August to Sunday the 7th August 2016. Confirmation through Booking.com arrived moments later and put my mind at ease knowing another hotel had been booked.

On 22nd of July, the first day of an epic adventure on the european art review road trip which would lead us through France, Switzerland, Italy and Monaco took off. Imagine my feelings of shock, dismay and upset when that same evening I received an email from the hotel Château de la Marine stating, a guest already staying at the hotel would like to increase their party and my suite was given to them and my booking is cancelled.

Booking.com customer services I feel, were a complete waste of time with no challenges to this hotel concerning the confirmation provided to me on the 3rd of May.

Château de la Marine had suggested an alternative hotel which they stated matched themselves. This was definitely not the case. If I wished to book a room in named chain hotel I would have when searching through booking.com.

I can not comment on the aesthetics of the Château de la Marine as I did not get to stay there. I personally would not recommend this hotel due to not knowing if the confirmation supplied by the hotel would be honored and the ethos of the hotel appalling.

From my experience it is not great to take time out from a prescheduled road trip already underway to look for an alternative hotel.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled on business
4  Thank Fresh-Faced-Guest
Reviewed August 29, 2016

Wonderful weekend away at this gorgeous little walled chateau. Relaxed and helpful hosts. Great location about 10 mins from both Boulogne and Wimeraux on the coast. Fabulous quiet beaches if you look for them. As for the seafood..........

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robertmorriscooper
Reviewed August 23, 2016

Wife & I were on a short motoring break - two days in St valery-sur-somme then an overnight here, really nice Chateau, splendid room & view, we were a bit rushed so we missed breakfast next day but it looked good. Guy was very helpful & drove us down to the Petite Brocante restaurant in the local village in the evening & the owner drove us back, which seems to be a standard arrangement - restaurant + meal & service were excellent. Also in the village is a little bar/ brasserie Le Denacre, best mussels I've ever had, and I've had a few! full of chunky veg & herbs - seriously, don't miss it!

Thanks again Guy, I would definitely stay again if in the area!

Fred Jones (Mean Green '58 Chevy Impala)

Room Tip: All rooms look excellent
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 15, 2016

I had always wanted to stay at a chateau. We failed last time because the once we tried were on the Loire and for us, were prohibitively expensive. When I booked this I was pretty excited because the pictures made it look pretty special, however I have been travelling long enough to know how deceptive hotel pictures can be. in this case the pictures are an accurate reflection of the magnificence of the place. Guy and Catherine were excellent hosts and we felt very special staying there. it is a stay I will long remember and look forward to returning to (perhaps on the way back!)

Room Tip: Our room was excellent
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2016

This charming house, high on a hill behind Wimereux, is run by a lovely French couple, aided by their three adult sons. Our room, overlooking the garden, was comfortable and had everything we needed, including coffee making machine. We were made very welcome. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: There are only 4 rooms, but all will be quiet and I'm sure, all as lovely as ours, which overlooked the large garden.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple