“Great Kayak beagn adventure on the Uchuck”

Get West Day Adventure Cruises
More attraction details
Owner description: The MV Uchuck III, a 136-foot passenger and freight vessel providing service through Vancouver Island's historic Nootka Sound, Esperanza Inlet and Kyuquot Sound. Relax and enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Wild West Coast as you tour its inlets, witness the MV Uchuck III deliver freight to remote fish farms, logging camps and remote resorts. Our schedule provides day cruises through some of Vancouver Island's most spectacular scenery, perfect for a short adventure or family vacation. Explore the shores and waterways of isolated inlets, and see a variety of wildlife - black bears, eagles, sea otters, Pacific dolphins, gray and killer whales. Like to get adventurous? Take advantage of the Uchuck's route to wet launch your kayak or be dropped off at the Nootka trailhead for a four to five day hiking trip along Vancouver Island's most remote and pristine coastal trail - without the long wait list of the famed West Coast Trail.
Reviewed December 19, 2015

We used the Uchuck III to transport our kayaks, our gear, and ourselves to the Nuchatlitz off Nooka Island. The crew were fantastic and helpful, it was a great start to our west coast adventure.

Date of experience: August 2015
"the pacific ocean"
"relaxing trip"
"beautiful weather"

Reviewed December 19, 2015

I have organized several group outings on the Uchuck III from Gold River with Get West Adventures. We opted for a Saturday tour to Friendly Cove to maximize our time at Friendly Cove. We hired Historical Interpreter - Chuck Syme to accompany our group and provide interesting historical information that helped make the trip special for our 41 guests. On arrival at Friendly Cove (Yuquot) Margarita James, representing the Mowachaht / Muchalaht First Nations provided a warm welcome at the "big white church" and provided wonderful commentary on the history of this important location. Chuck Syme then led us on a walking tour past the cemetery and as far as the cabins at the far end of the beach. Of course we also visited the historical lighthouse. Wonderful. The weather was good and overall it made for a great outing. To top off a great day we enjoyed our organized dinner at Clayworks Café in Gold River hosted by Anita and Neil Lawrence. It is always a pleasure doing this trip on the Uchuck III that we arrange through Alberto and Glenda Girotto and the staff at Get West Adventure Cruises..
Willy van Kemenade - Square 1 Travel, Courtenay, BC

Date of experience: August 2015
1  Thank global6
Neil H, Guest Relations Manager at Get West Day Adventure Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2016

Hi global6,

My name is Neil Havers and I assist GetWest with their marketing. Could you please contact me at info@haversdesign.com please.

Reviewed December 19, 2015

I took my mother on the Nootka sound day trip. It was amazing, we had beautiful warm weather for most of the trip, on the way back it started to rain but that was okay. The best part was at Friendly cove where you are allowed off the boat for awhile (an hour and half I think). Because a friend of mine had been on the trip before I knew after getting off the boat to follow the trail up and over a hill where you can do a self-guided tour of a old church. Then you must keep going and go a short, steep trail to what is called Pebble Beach which is on the open Pacific ocean. If you are lucky enough to visit when it is a warm day you should sit/lie down on the beach, the sun warms the pebbles and it is just a marvelous feeling with the waves crashing on beach it doesn't get any better than that. All of the crew members are very friendly and willing to answer any questions, they will also inform you if they see any wildlife. I would highly recommend this trip to anyone. After leaving Friendly cove they have to go farther out into the inlet where the water is choppier but they will warn you of this. I get very seasick but I made sure I had my gravol and I wear acupressure seasickness bands on both my wrists. I recommend you get some of these if you get seasick, they can be found at most pharmacies.

Date of experience: July 2015
Reviewed October 26, 2015

It is such a fabulous tour. Brings about profound appreciation for our wonderful country and world. A wonderful time well spent, if you love the ocean.

Date of experience: October 2015
See more reviews
Reviewed October 26, 2015

We were pretty excited about going on the Uchuck III one day cruise from Gold River! We all hoped for good weather as this time of year rain and fog can be a hindrance. It rained in Parksville for three days before we left and was cloudy and foggy. However we all decided to accept what weather was given. We got to Campbell River and the sun came out. .
Apparently the west coast area where we were headed had 2 weeks of torrential downpours. So much rain made for beautiful waterfalls along the highway from Golf River to the Uchuck dock! We got to the boat dock at 8:30 a.m. for our 9 o'clock departure and the dock was crowded with people in army camouflage fatigues! What was going on was a combination exercise of Canadian and Australian Rangers (reservists) going to Friendly Cove for 3 days! About 25 got on board the Uchuck along with us. Many more were taken to their destination by barge. Five native ladies and one native man came aboard bringing bowls and containers of what turned out to be food. So not only did we have a beautiful day of seeing: numerous whale sightings; seals; sea otters; stopping at four fish farms to deliver supplies; a logging camp; we were invited to the mini pot latch the natives held for the reservists at lunch time. We enjoyed halibut, salmon, bannock, roast potatoes, a variety of fruit and raw vegetables. Absolutely unexpected and delightful. The reservists were given T-shirts by the natives and then drummed and sang off the Uchuck when we reached Friendly Cove. At a pot latch gifts are traditionally exchanged - the four of us were totally amazed at our invite and of course not knowing we had 'nothing' to give. I always carry a lovely little crystal with me and dug it out and gave it to the elder native woman as our 'gift'. OMG she accepted it as if it was the most precious of gifts. (I loved it!) So it turned out to be an extra special trip filled with happiness, good comradery, sunshine and Wonderful memories!

Date of experience: October 2015