All reviewsnew zealandgarden roomold househost judyferry terminalmuesliamazing breakfasta wonderful stayfairy talebed and breakfastbig citycomplimentary porthome away from homeshops and restaurantsauckland citysherrynz
Reviewed March 26, 2018

Several things that should have been in the listing upfront were not. There are dogs, which is an issue for anyone with allergies. The host told us a story about how one guest had woken up with the dog snuck into their room. Wifi wasn't working for several days. I heard the staff discussing how they had double booked and room and would have to find somewhere else to put them. And worst of all, I overheard some very uncomfortable questions about where a guest was from, where were they "really" from, seemingly directed at only those of non-European descent. Inappropriate at best. The facility itself if OK, small rooms, lots of stairs to lug your suitcase up, but good location. Devonport was great but I wish I had stayed elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
6  Thank Redrose424
judydevonport, Owner at Peace and Plenty Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2018

I am sorry, I am not following this review at all. Firstly, the guest mentioned in the story absolutely loved the dogs and had let it into his room, and as a result they had a sleep together. As nearly all the guest staying with us love dogs (it is very clear on our web-site that we have dogs), the guests told me about this incident and thought it would be an entertaining story to tell other guests. I find it inappropriate that you would listen to private staff conversation and feel the need to broadcast it here. It's unfortunate that you found your stay 'disappointing', we wish you better luck elsewhere.

Reviewed March 12, 2018

We had a buffet style afternoon high tea for our daughters wedding reception. The host is a lovely lady who is very welcoming and so is the atmosphere, and the food was very nice. A plate of gluten free food was also provided for a couple of the guests. Our eldest daughter also had her wedding and reception there in 2013. There is a nice area out the back with palm trees for having photos taken and this was where she had the ceremony. Would definitely recommend for any celebration.

Stayed: February 2018
Reviewed March 9, 2018

Initially I was a bit put off when I arrived in the rain to find 20 steps up to the house and then 20 up to my room and I had heavy luggage. But Judy soon sorted that one. The room was lovely, with a view of the garden and lots of bird song. The bed was comfortable and the shower room capacious. The Peace and Plenty is very convenient for Devonport cafes and restaurants and for getting in to Auckland on the ferry.
Unfortunately I arrived along with a cyclone out to sea so the rain was relentless. I did manage a walk along the front to the naval museum but otherwise was rather stuck inside. This was not boring as Judy is a very good companion and helped with discounted meals and taxis to the airport. There was also help on hand when my laptop played up.
My thanks to Judy and her staff for a wonderful stay in a really delightful house.

Room Tip: I liked my room overlooking the garden with a small balcony
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed March 6, 2018

We loved Devonport, it has such a wonderful atmosphere, a lovely seaside village so close to the big city. We are now on our twentieth accommodation of our seven week trip around New Zealand, Peace and Plenty was our third, so we have many places to compare it with. I’m sorry to say we didn’t feel particularly welcome, tolerated, but not welcome. It is the only bed we haven’t slept well in, we found it difficult to charge our phones, there were very few sockets and to get to them was very difficult. There was no soap in the shower, and the soap containers at the basins were ‘locked in’ and couldn’t be removed. The towels were obviously far from new - very clean, but not soft and fluffy like everywhere else we’ve been. We were told to park in the street, but with a caution about parking tickets which made us on edge and in a rush in the morning, we weren’t aware there was parking elsewhere.
I can’t fault the breakfast, it was delicious and there was lots of it.
Reading other reviews I feel that we must have just been unlucky, perhaps it was an off day, but unfortunately it was our one night there and that is how we found it to be at the time.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pinkduck
Reviewed March 4, 2018

Lovely old house in an excellent location for Auckland City Centre via ferry. Quaint accommodation with excellent breakfast, but not without problems. We chose a room with a sea view (the Flagstaff Room) but there was no sea view as it was completely hidden by very large trees in the frontage park area! The bathroom is ludicrously tiny with shower and no bath. The seats of both bedroom chairs were stained. The wi-fi does not work properly upstairs. Parking outside is limited to 3 hours but parking in the back garden trapped our car making it inaccessible and a bit of a worry for an early trip to the airport. I think it is fair to point out these issues for reader guidance. I have however still rated it as 4 stars overall as we enjoyed our stay in Devonport.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple