“Best Chinese Food I Have Had In Decades! Can't Wait To Go Back!”

Yuan's Shanghai Serendipity Cuisine
Ranked #361 of 1,003 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed March 22, 2017

I went for lunch here today with two "Foodie" friends, both excellent cooks with high expectations when they dine out. We chose to eat here as the restaurant was written up in an article including it among the 25 best Chinese Restaurants in Greater Vancouver. The article mentioned a grated daikon in puff pastry which my friends were particularly interested in. I love Chinese food, and have a fondness for Shanghai and Szechuan regional cuisines, and over the years I have had the privilege of eating at some very high-end Chinese restaurants, here and elsewhere, accompanying my bosses who were entertaining VIP clients. I have to say that this lunch was some of the best Chinese food I have eaten in decades. We tried a number of dim sum items, including the pan-fried Shanghai style dumplings and the water dumplings, as well as an amazing platter of mu-shu noodles. At the end of the meal we filled in our stomachs' last free corners with the mythic grated daikon puff pastries. Epic! I was shocked at how reasonable our bill for lunch for three was! I will be returning to order these dishes again and look forward to trying more from their menu.

Reviewed January 12, 2017 via mobile

Drop in for lunch randomly. Ordered hot and sour soup (good, quite spicy), fried rice (very good), beef (the saus was too strong) and dumplings (didn't like the soup nor the filling).

I'm not very familiar with Shainghainese cuisine, but this experience left me with little desire to repeat.

Reviewed November 27, 2016 via mobile

Very nice interior decoration and attentive service. Food was a little too bland, didn't impress us. I was born and raised in Shanghai and we've visited many top restaurants in Shanghai, so maybe that's why we have really high expectations.

Next time we visit Vancouver, I will try ordering a few other dishes and see if they are any better.

Reviewed September 26, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant provides an extensive menu from Shanghai style Dim-sum & Snakes, Northern style & Shanghai Appetizers, Shanghai and Szechuan dishes, soups and desserts. Most dishes are quite good and authentic. Good and attentive service. Reservation highly recommended.

Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

Good restaurant for Shanghai style food. Dedicated parking lot for restaurant. Seating is very comfortable and you won't feel cramped. The renovations are very modern and dinnerware exudes finer dining. Good thing about the menu is every item is accompanied with a picture. Although, nor every dish looks exactly like the picture; like fast food pictures are not accurate representations of what you get.