“Good base camp to explore Vancouver from”

Abercorn Inn Vancouver Airport
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 25 July 2011

The free airport shuttle runs every half hour from Vancouver Airport which is great after a long flight as you don’t have to arrange your own transport.

Reception were helpful throughout and eased me through checking in and out. The room had two double beds, a fridge, microwave, television and all the other essentials. The shower was disappointing as you had to adjust the two taps which never stayed the same temperature for long. Add to that the shower head was too low for me (anyone over 5’9 may as well have a bath as a shower is uncomfortable). The bathroom in general was smaller than I would have liked for the size of the room. Free wireless internet is available in the room and was easy to set up and reliable (just key in your room number the first time you log on).

A buffet breakfast was included in the room price and you could choose anything from sausages and scrambled egg to oats, cereal or toast. I enjoyed this as it kept me going through the day. Naturally, tea, coffee, etc was available.

The exercise room looked like it was still being renovated but was still open to guests. There was a handful of equipment to choose from like a treadmill, bike and some light weights. Probably not the best place if you’re used to a proper gym. It is hidden away past the breakfast area so was very quiet. It still needs more work done to it.

Although being a 10 minute shuttle ride from the airport, it wasn’t noisy and with it taking only 20 minutes to get downtown by Skytrain from nearby Bridgeport station (5 – 10 minute walk), it’s a cheaper alternative to downtown. Also, Lansdowne Mall and Richmond Mall are a few Skytrain stops south, which came in handy for shopping, eating, etc. Vancouver is so good that I would visit again and I would stay in this hotel to do it. Despite the very minor faults, it makes a good base to explore Vancouver from.

Room Tip: Check the website for deals on rooms as savings can be had
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank merchy20

Reviewed 25 July 2011

They are remodeling, that being said, if you are on a budget and want a clean, friendlyl place, this is for you. They have free airport shuttle. They are within a short walk to the train. a day pass for train is $6.00 senior, $9.00 adult and you can easily get in and out to downtown VanCouver.
They have cruise to port transportation packages avail when you book hotel, if you want.
They are right by Cosco. They have free internet in lobby.
The have bar and restaurant on premises.
The continential breakfast is very nice, with fruit, eggs, etc.
We did not have car. Took airport free shuttle to hotel. Next day took train to downtown vanCouver.....took train to airport.....and then used free shuttle back to hotel. or you can just take the train back to Richmond and walk short distance to hotel. We traveled with another couple and we both would return to this hotel again. It is not plush, not fancy, but clean and friendly and centrally located with a good free breakfast.

Room Tip: We booked on line and included the cruise package for transportation to cruise port.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank pricelessbaron
Reviewed 2 July 2011

This Hotel provided a Shuttle to and from the Airport, very handy. The Abercorn has an oldy worldly feel. A nice greeting awaited us. The room was very large, with two queen beds, very nice when you have been traveling for a number of hours. Very clean, and not overly noisy, considering there was a busy main road. There was a restaurent with this hotel, and we enjoyed a nice meal before retiring to bed. There was free car parking. We also had a buffet breakfast included, which had cerials, juices, fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, pastries. Scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, tea/coffee, very good. The abercorn was a short walk from the bus station, so that was easy to make our way into Vancouver. A nice two night stay here, would recommend,for the convenience of having a shuttle service, and the ease to get into Vancouver.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Glen066
Reviewed 27 June 2011

I was at the Abercorn Inn for business meetings two days in a row and was truly surprised. Upon looking at the exterior of the hotel, I assumed it wasn't going to be anything special but I was very wrong. The meeting room we were in was comfortable, and a great size. The refreshments that were provided were delicious, and it is my understanding that they are made by the hotel. The room I stayed in was great - king sized bed with a plasma screen T.V., and I loved the Scottish touches through out the hotel and guest rooms. The most incredible thing about the hotel was the restaurant - the Highlander. It has a small menu, but the dishes are incredible. They are fresh and flavourful, absolutely wonderful. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Richmond area, especially for the convenient proximity to the Vancouver Airport.

Room Tip: Backside room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Abercorn Inn offers a park/sleep/cruise package that is excellent. We parked our car, enjoyed a lovely meal in their restaurant and an equally lovely full breakfast the following morning, and then we were bussed to our ship in downtown Vancouver. Our driver took care of all our luggage! On return via Vancouver Int'l Airport, we were picked up promptly and after another delicious dinner and breakfast, went on our way back to CA.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 May 2011

I am quite familiar to the Abercorn Inn as I use to live in Richmond for many years. Recently relocated back to Asia and came back to visit my family and friends. I chose the Abercorn Inn because of its Scottish décor (you just can’t find hotels with such distinct exterior anymore). That being said, you either like it or dislike it. It is one of the older hotels in Richmond so it is nice to know that it is currently undergoing renovations! In fact, I was lucky enough to stay in one of the new rooms. Full renovation was done in the rooms, new beds, amenities, furniture, carpet etc. I read a review below saying that furniture was stacked everywhere…well..what do you expect? They had signs everywhere indicating renos are going on and even on their website when making reservations. You can see that they are trying to minimize the disruption to the guest as much as possible. Furniture are ACTUALLY neatly stacked ASIDE and their management posted up a letter to guest that there will be minimal noise from 9am-5pm. Abercorn Inn is in NEED of a renovation, so they have to do what they gotta do…give them a BREAK!! Similarly, my TV wasn’t working well when I checked it late at night. I was offer to have my rooms changed and I took the offer because I want to watch TV. I think that was quite smart for the front desk to do so because in small hotels like this, you just don’t have a 24 hour maintenance running around. Breakfast was GREAT! I’ve never stayed in a hotel where they offer Benedicts, grilled tomatoes 4-5 hot items etc for FREE! Such variety!! Basically, yes they are doing renos and I had problems with my TV, but I grade a hotel based on its services and cleanliness. Of course, and the hotel’s willingness to meet guest’s expectation. Then again, guest’s perception of compensation differs as well. What can you do? All I can say is, I am a pretty fair lol. Abercorn, is clearly stepping up on its game. Can’t wait to see it again once everything is done!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2011

Stayed over night for a layover before heading to the airport early next morning, did notice that the hotel was under renovation but it didn't bother me (some exciting stuff they are upgrading to btw). I didn't have time for breakfast in the morning, but they've prepared coffee, tea, and pastries for early risers. Very considerate! Would definitely stay here again if I had more time. Love the Scottish theme of the hotel as well. Nothing to complain, clean & efficient service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business