“Great way to relax while waiting for your flight.....”

Fairmont Vancouver Airport
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Richmond
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 April 2012

Many of us have been stuck in transit at the Vancouver International Airport... either the next flight is hours away, or your travel arrangements meant hours waiting for your departure. Although some of us can't afford to get a room at the Fairmont, we certainly can afford the Spa visit. I recently had hours to kill, so I decided to do a workout. It was great. Exercise is one of the best things you can do, prior to a long flight. I did a workout in the gym and then sat in the hot tub and sauna. I contemplated a massage, but didn't quite have enough time. It was the best thing I could have done prior to my long flight overseas. The Fairmont Hotel is located at the far end of the International Departures. Take some time to treat yourself. It's worth it!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Runningalong
Write a ReviewReviews (3,222)

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Over the past five years, I have spent many nights at the Fairmont YVR both on business and holiday trips. It's a gem. I love the location both in the airport -- so close to both international and domestic departures and within minutes of the Skytrain to downtown Vancouver.

The hotel is SILENT despite being on the airstrip! The linens and beds are first rate. Service is outstanding. I always get a good night's sleep here and feel pampered and cared for as a valued guest.

I often stay on the Gold Floor and did again last night. What luxury to be greeted by name, have canapes in the private lounge between 5 and 7 and then a yummy breakfast before our flight the next day. This hotel is one of my favourites anywhere!

Room Tip: Gold Floor is worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Valhallagirl33
Reviewed 5 April 2012

II stay at this Hotel frequently as I often transfer flights in Vancouver. The service at this Hotel is first rate. The front staff, bell-staff and counter staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are a treat with all of modern conveniences including a centralized control of all room functions on the night stand. The beds are wonderful and the bathrooms are large and well equipped. Most importantly at an airport Hotel the rooms are very well sound proofed.
I do find the food and bar to be expensive and there is a food court close by but the quality of the food is very good. I recommend eating in the bar as that menu has some lighter choices. The Hotel also has meeting facilities and catering which I have used and highly recommend. For those who have a few hours and want to go shopping, the train to Vancouver and Richmond leaves from very close to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Walk back to the food court for less expensive meals. Rooms on the south side are quieter though non...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
FairmontYVR, Director of Sales at Fairmont Vancouver Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2012

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 4 April 2012

very easy and comprehensive access to all facilities; very nice break on a longer trip; the noise protection is perhaps less than one might expect from an airport hotel however; that being said, the price is very competitive with nearby hotels when cab fare is considered

Room Tip: all rooms seem to face runways so does not seem to matter much
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have been very impressed at the level of service experienced at Fairmont hotels. This was not one of those stays. The property was very nice, our room was enjoyable and I couldn't complain at all about it, it was very comfortable. However, staff were not terribly accommodating. We we felt like we were a real inconvenience.

We called the concierge to ask about the liquor store in the airport as we wished to buy a bottle of wine and they couldn't provide us with any information about its location or operating times, which is fine, but neither was any effort made to answer our enquiry. We found the information eventually on our phone. We went to the restaurant and when asked if we could sit at a table close to the window, I am sure I saw eyes roll. Nevertheless we had our meal- kudos, it was lovely, we were very pleased with it.

Next day we had a later flight and left our bags at the hotel. When we went to pick them up later in the day the receptionist rather brusquely told us that we don't pick them up here and explained where we needed to go. We went. They weren't there. The Porter asked us to wait where we were and kindly retrieved them from the hotel where we were told they were not to be found.

This was not a dreadful place to stay, it was really lovely and we enjoyed our meal immensely. This was sort of the start to a late honeymoon and the only thing that was less than expected was the attitude of a number of the people working there. It made us feel unwelcome and frankly, I would expect better. I understand people have rotten days, maybe it was one of those, but this was not the type of experience I would expect from a Fairmont hotel. Fairmont, you can do better.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I generally love staying at Fairmont hotels, if only because their Miller Harris bath products are definitely worth taking home as souvenirs.

We stayed at the Fairmont Vancouver Airport en route to Europe last September. While the room was spacious, the bathroom huge, the view of the runway was interesting and the bathroom products were lovely, the general attitude of all the staff of the hotel was less than impressive. From checking in, to checking out, we genuinely felt like we were treated like second-class citizens - the staff were patronizing, unhelpful and on one occasion (when we phoned the front desk to ask for advice on airport amenities) downright rude.

At $179 a night, I expected to be treated better than this. However, on the good side of the equation, we had an excellent dinner in the hotel restaurant, and were able to get a good night's sleep ahead of our long flight to London the next morning. I would recommend this hotel if you have a thick skin, and if you don't fancy a shuttle ride into Richmond.

Room Tip: No Miller Harris Fleur de Matin soap to be found here, alas, just the Citron stuff...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The rooms are spacious and comfortable, just what you need after (or before) a gruelling Pacific crossing. The Fairmont is right in the Airport building, a 3 monute indoor walk from the arrivals/departures. The staff are more than attentive and helpful. Try dinner at the Globe - the perfect antidote to airline food.

Room Tip: Runway rooms and parking lot rooms - choose your view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business