“Last supper”

Shibuyatei Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #98 of 991 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed October 1, 2017 via mobile

Popped in to spend the last of our dollars before heading home the next day

Wasn't sure what to expect as it is an add on to a car wash site. It looks like a greasy spoon cafe from the outside.

How wrong were we. The place is basic inside with just one japanese fella doing the cooking. The menu is basic, the service is slowish as the guy cooks each order one at a time. There is only 4 or 5 tables.

The food is absolutely stunning. Authentic, No flavouring,colourings or MSG. Fresh tasty and by far the best meal we had. A total gem.
When with visit vancouver again we will get a cab to Richmond just eat here.

The gyoza were the best ever. The thing with salmon, fried egg and caviar was beyond doubt words. We planned to have a small taster each but ended up having 6 courses and putting the cocteau on the credit card. Used the dollars to buy Horsey bars from the hotel vending machine so all good.

This place is a must visit

Reviewed March 19, 2017

Japanese restaurants are all over in the city of Richmond, but not everyone is equally admirable when it comes to the food quality, authenticity, level of customer service, atmosphere, and waiting time.
I'll surely go back to try different dishes as they offer not only their healthy no MSG Ramen noodle soup, but also selections of sushi, Japanese curry, rice, as well as authentic Japanese appertizers. The food flavours are great and authentic Japanese as the chef/owner seemed to pour his whole passion into the menu without using MSG. Customer service can be described as very sincere. It's not a big space but it's rather cozy as it gives you that home made cooking kind of comfort.
The only down side is they close at 7pm and you can't have a couple drinks in the evening even though they're licensed too. If you're looking for Japanese food that's tasty, healthy, authentic, and inexpensive, this is well worth to experience.

Reviewed November 30, 2016

Worst experience I have had at a restaurant. Seriously he said "there are only 4 dishes, you must order 5." We asked why, and he said because there are 5 of us. Then we said "but one is a baby" and he says "my restaurant my rule". Direct quotation!

interesting finish to a near-insane performance overall. Restaurant completely empty at 12:30pm. Guy had no heat on, blasted a space heater at us. Squished in 5 seats at a 4 table against a window, 4 adults 1 baby. Said he only does what is on the menu when one veg person at table, not me, asked for a veggie inari (since only a few veg dishes on the menu). Then he told that person he doesn't advise being a vegetarian (free advice!), since balance is essential.

So weird overall that I feel like he just wanted to watch the Ohio State football game blasting away in the background or that he didn't like the look of us? Very strange.

Reviewed September 21, 2016

We stayed at Hampton inn Vancouver airport in transit to Europe and it was
right across from the hotel.
This restaurant was a great find for the tired tourist to have quick lunch.
Ramen (Larmen) noodle was authentic Japanese flavor and service was good.
Price was reasonable at around US$7. They had sushi but we just had sushi right before we left for this trip back home and didn't try. I would go back.

Reviewed September 9, 2016 via mobile

BUT this has to be one of the best ramen noodle soups I've had. I ordered the ramen with the extra pork. The broth was flavored just right. The pork was tender and almost melted in my mouth. The noodles were done to perfect al dente. The chef/owner was very friendly. Next time I'm in town, I will eat here again.