“Pork Belly, Pork Jowel and Deep Fried Squid that Induces Instense Multiple Foodgasms”
Review of Shang Noodle House

Shang Noodle House
Ranked #191 of 1,015 Restaurants in Richmond
Reviewed March 20, 2018

Went here for some good noodles for lunch with my daughter, her teammate and a couple other dads when over for Richmond Spring Classic Atom Rep Tournament.

Had the chicken, bbq pork, scallop and prawn Ramen bowl along with the deep fried peppered squid, pork belly with soy sauce and some vegetable and pork dumplings.

To my surprise, the Ramen had green noodles which was not described or pictured in the menu. They were okay but didn't wow me. The bowl was huge! Chicken, bbq pork and chicken were excellent as was the spinach and vegetables. Scallop was good, but not many. Only 2 prawns but both still in shells, which I'm not a huge fan of.

Pork belly in soy sauce was amazing. In hindsight, I could have just ordered 2 of those and been very satisfied.

Dumplings were big and tasty. Squid was excellent as well. My buddy ordered the pork jowel with Ramen. Thankfully he permitted me a piece to taste! It was sublime and multiple foodgasm inducing.

The pork belly Ramen bowl was also reported to be excellent.

Our unanimous comment about all the Ramen bowls however was that the broth was quite bland and was unexpectedly cloudy white rather than the expected clear pork broth. The meats and seafoods however were amazing and did cause some intense foodgasms!

The tea they served had a different slightly sweet fruit like flavour that was quite different than other Teas I have had. It was okay but I prefer the more traditional type.

Service was fast and efficient. Room was very small and it was getting quite busy by the time we finished around 1pm.

I would return, but probably would just order the various types of pork along with some squid and pass on the noodles.

Reviewed November 28, 2017

Our family tried the Richmond location for the first time using Groupon. Although the Groupon deal itself is a decent value, I would go elsewhere if I had to pay the full menu price. As others have noted, the ingredients are fresh and tasty. However, portion sizes are small for what you pay. For example, my two younger boys will find it difficult to finish a bowl of noodles at Deer Garden. They had no issues finishing their noodles at Shang Noodle.

Apparently, there is a limited number of free parking stalls at one of the condo parking units adjacent the building.

Reviewed October 30, 2017

Today's visit left us with a lot to be desired. When our order arrived it appeared that we were receiving the same size portion as previously. The reality was that we only received about 1/3 of the rice noodles and only about 1/4 of the beef brisket/beef tendon. The BBQ pork order was similarly shortened. The service remained unchanged.

Reviewed September 12, 2017

I enjoy a big bowl of noodle soup. In Richmond, there are lots of places that serve cheap but good noodle soup, whether it is Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese, etc. Shang's prices are relatively a bit higher than the norm. Please understand my perpective. A big bowl of noodle soup at another restaurant may cost $7; at Shang it will cost about $10. So a meal here will not break the bank. Also, the quality is somewhat higher than most noodle soups. The ingredients are colourful. The vegetables look and taste fresh. They use a large variety of exotic mushrooms. The meats are tender and impregnated with flavour. This place is usually busy at lunch.

Reviewed November 21, 2016

Shang's frequently offers Groupon vouchers. For under $25 one receives 2 bowls of noodles, 6 chicken wings, 6 dumplings, 2 mango puddings and 2 cans of soft drinks..............what a deal.