“Outstanding Dim Sum”

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: City Centre
Reviewed March 23, 2016 via mobile

We always make Sun Sui Wah a stop on our trips to Vancouver. The Chinese seafood dishes are exceptional. On this visit we went for dim sum and it was excellent. The lobster congee, sautéed Manila clams with spicy black bean sauce and the shrimp and chive steamed dumplings were delicious. We will continue to make this a regular stop when we visit Vancouver and highly recommend it to people who are looking for authentic food.

Reviewed March 17, 2016

I came here because a number of my friends raved about this place for years. The room is nice, and tables set very nice. One the upper end, fine dim sum style restaurants in Vancouver. Unfortunately I found it a bit snooty for a place that serves dim. The food was good, dolled up dumplings. But they weren't as good as I have had other places. I also didn't like the attitude, may be I hit a bad day, but I think it's perennial. There were six of us, my sister forgot her phone in the car, and went to retrieve it. When she got to the door, a lady, a captain type, told her she had to pay before she left. She clearly saw, as she had eagle eyes on the whole restaurant, that there were still five of us still sitting at the table, two were children. At any rate I don't recommend it. For dim sum it's capricious, and the prices, are expensive. Good for people with an expense account looking to impress. I can think of lot of dim sum places I prefer.

Date of visit: July 2015
1  Thank Streetsense_11
Reviewed March 14, 2016

The food was really good. I started with the seafood hot and and sour soup and wow.....it was terrific. Tons of fresh seafood and perfectly spicy. The main courses were excellent too. The mango dessert was really tasty and the consistency was wonderful. The service was superb

Reviewed March 2, 2016 via mobile

Friends recommended this, the sister of the downtown Vancouver restaurant, as a good dim sum place. We didn't have a chance to try that, but did go for dinner, and had a great meal. They're known for crab and squab, but we treated ourselves to Peking Duck (two courses of crispy skin/pancakes and chopped meat/lettuce wrap), Prawn & chicken Szechuan hot pot, bamboo pith/Chinese mushrooms/baby bok choy. All were very good, and they spiced up the hot pot on request. Typical banquet style place with big screen TVs (I could have done without those, but the food was the main event). You can't lose with Sun Sui Wah.

Reviewed February 29, 2016

As usual, had to make reservation in order to secure ourselves a seat.
Went there for breakfast and it was so crowded!

They serve a wide variety of dim sum selection. Great service though some of the staffs weren't really proactive. We sat at a pathetic corner, thus most of the staffs didn't come to our side. We had to walk over to approach the staffs to order our food. It really spoilt our meal because we couldnt eat with a peace of mind. Had to constantly look out for the staffs just in case they miss us and we couldnt try those food in the cart.

That aside, most of the food tasted authentic. However, the buns had little fillings thus it was a disappointment. For most of the dishes we ordered, the BBQ pork tasted pretty bland... Wouldnt mind coming back here again for the wide selection. The next time round, I would have to choose my food wisely.

Date of visit: February 2016