“Very good for extended stays”

Residence Inn Toronto Markham
Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Markham
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We have stayed at this hotel twice for extended stays. Last year for one month, this year for one week. We checked out of a regular hotel in the area, this year, to move to the Residence Inn. We have more space, more facilities, a clean apartment, and excellent staff. Sandra at the front desk was very hospitable, and it was a pleasure doing any business with her, or just saying hello.
The one elevator was out of service for a few days, which made it a lengthy wait for the elevator, but other than that we have no complaints.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the building have less noise from parking lot traffic. Regardless it is not a...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaryEllen000

Reviewed 8 October 2011

Close to our Canada HQ, this was a nicer alternative to just a hotel room.

Separate bedroom and large living room with good desk and exec chair made working in the room easier. So often hotels provide token working environs (the desk too high; chair uncomfortable; poor lighting). Small kitchenette with fridge/freezer and dishwasher let me do a little 'home cooking' and the grocery service meant you didn't have to cab to the supermarket. Washing machines & dryers on another floor and would prefer swipe card or tokens as didn't always have a dollar and 2 quarters on me. Breakfast offering limited but covered all bases - cold, hot, healthy.

A toaster and a kettle / hot water jub rather than a coffee maker would be a good idea as would some thing to play your MP3 player through speakers.

Only real downside was they changed the bedside clock radios halfway through my visit and the new ones have a glaring night light that cannot be turned off. Ended up taking the plug out of the wall to get rid of the annoying light.

Not as classy as the Sheraton where we usually stay but for a lengthy stay it was a great place to be.

Room Tip: Try and get rooms that do not face the carpark. Outside lights are extremely bright, even with the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Just returned from another Toronto visit, and tried the Residence Inn, sister property to the Courtyard I've stayed at before. The Residence Inn is obviously newer than the Courtyard, and is a much more pleasant stay (though the Courtyard's lobby remodel is finished). The room was well appointed, though not a complete kitchen (no oven or toaster) like some other examples.
Linens and bedding was in good shape and overall, pretty clean (though the kitchen counter has seen some hard use that needs attention).
The breakfast was adequate, but certainly not worth pushing through the crowds. The eating area is limited, and since the hotel was sold out, many people just took food to their rooms.
My problem was that the air conditioning went out on my last night there and apparently there was no one from maintenance to fix it, except by phone. I have to commend the night manager for all his efforts to come up with a solution, but not happy that there was no remedy to the solution and no offer to compensate me for the four hours I had to wait for the resolution that never came. These are the kinds of things that happen in the hotel business and you would think they would have a plan to deal with it.
I wouldn't tell anyone to avoid the Residence Inn, but I'm not terribly enthusiastic about going back.

Room Tip: Apparently sells out often, and only two styles of room to choose from, so don't think you can...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I stayed for 2 weeks. Overall I will rate this as a good experience and a good hotel.

ROOM:
The hotel room is cosy. I didn't do much cooking but if i was staying longer, I would need to and I felt there could have probably been an oven or toaster oven. There was a microwave and a small electric stove. The temperature can be adjusted for each room and facilities are clean. Lots of towels to use and enough toiletries.

STAFF:
Very helpful

LOCATION:
Not much activities around. The grocery and malls are far and you usually need to take a bus to reach there. In my case I was close to work so that was okay for me.

BREAKFAST:
Buffet style: Fruits, cereals, juice, milk, hot drinks, pancakes, waffles, eggs, rolls etc.

POOLS AND GYM:
The pool is small and the gym is small. Not much people use it, so that shouldn't be much of a problem.

I enjoyed my stay here more than i did at the Courtyard Marriott next door. This was mainly due to the rooms being more spacious and not feeling boxed up in a hotel room.

I hope my review was helpful

Room Tip: If you don't like to walk, or you are always in a rush, get one close to the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 September 2011

There are several hotels in the Markham area however this hotel has larger rooms and free breakfast.The staff is very nice and the location is very central.

There is no bar however food is just across the street. Overall this hotel offer an above average room for the cost.

Room Tip: Get a room near the stairwell, quiet and faster in and out than the lift at times.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MBFNCNative
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night... and I wished it had been longer. I booked a one bedroom suite and was upgraded at check-in to a 2 bedroom!! The room was huge and very clean, with a full kitchen, 3 tvs, 2 bathrooms and very comfortable beds. The pool area was clean and warm and there were plenty of towels available. Complimentary coffee all day/evening and free (full) breakfast were added bonuses.

I highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: If they don't offer you an upgrade automatically, ask for one!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband and I went to Toronto for a week and took my 87 year old mother with us. We had a two-bedroom Suite. We had stayed at Residence Inns in other cities before and are always happy with the facilities. The Customer service was pleasant and helpful. They had no problem reversing the movie charge on my bill when we told them that my mother had accidentally pressed the wrong button and went to the pay movie channel without knowing it (my mother understands very little English). Also, I requested for a suite with wheelchair access and had no problem getting it. The walk-in shower is really important for my mother, who otherwise, would have great difficulty going in and out of a regular bath tub. The breakfast was good and had good choices. The only not so positive comment I have is the hotel looks tired and needs renovation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family