“Just about Average”

Cuisines: Japanese
Description: First Markham Place in Markham, Ontario
Description: First Markham Place in Markham, Ontario
Reviewed July 6, 2017

A sushi boat for 3 of us with an extra order of hamachi for about $100 with 10% cash discount - priced around medium-low of a la carte Japanese restaurant in general, I will be concerned with food quality if anything lower than that price... (any decent AYCE will charge you more than that).

Unfortunately, the overall quality was just like an average AYCE, not any better, certainly not the best cut or freshness. The size of each sashimi / sushi piece was about half of regular size, if not, even smaller. I was quite surprised and disappointed - especially the additional orders of hamachi, they were just about 2 sq cm (1 cm thick which was about right), probably the smallest I have ever seen in hundreds of Japanese restaurants including those in Asia (i.e. Japan).

Speed was on the slow side, although only 3 tables occupied including ours (total of 12 customers), we still waited over 30 mins for our boat since they had to take care of 2-3 take out orders first.

No doubt that food quality and value were below my expectation, however, offset by two big pros;
(1) A complimentary grilled salmon (half) head and a teppanyaki beef dish
(2) A super nice and polite server (she may be the owner) who gave us great service

1  Thank A W

Reviewed March 20, 2016 via mobile

The ribs are too well done. The spicy udon are okay, but the soup are not hot enough so the spice is not well spread. Lunch combo are well priced.

Reviewed October 14, 2015

The food here is awesome. I typically order their bento boxes when I come which I believe fills me up to the rim. The box may not look so big, but it totally filled my boyfriend and I up. When you go for their zen boxes, each person receives one scoop of icecream when they settle the bill.
I like this place because the food and service is awesome. It may be a little bit pricer, but I think it's worth it since they make the food so good.
You should definitely come here and I would say I'm a regular.

Reviewed August 16, 2015

Nice small and friendly Japanese restaurant. It is slightly more expensive than some of the nearby Japanese places, but the quality is there. You definitely get what you pay for.

Reviewed May 1, 2015

For years, this was our weekly go-to spot for sushi despite the lack of ambience and available parking. Lately, the quality and level of service has been deteriorating and I have finally given up. There has been turnover of wait staff that don't seem to appreciate repeat business. During my last visit the miso soup was cold (again) and the sushi was not fresh.

I have now discovered Gals at highway 7 and Warden where the the service and quality is outstanding.

1  Thank Linc B