“Just what I needed”

Howard Johnson Cornwall
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Cornwall
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I would not hesitate to tell friends about this hotel. The room was quiet, the bed comfortable, staff exceptionally helpful, excellent morning coffee and the price was right!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 May 2011

This was one of those "I'm driving in around midnight, will be leaving by 7:30 am for a meeting" stays -- all I wanted was a bed. It had that, decent quality (not good, not bad). My room was acceptably clean if a bit shabby, bathroom was clean, towels etc. all in place. It served my needs. The free breakfast wasn't worth eating -- stale donuts, tepid water for tea.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2010

I would NEVER EVER stay again at this hotel even after 13 hours of straight driving and needing a rest. It would have been better to stay in the car! We had the room reserved 1.5 hours before we arrived but upon arrival the computers were shut off for the night (??) and there was no record of our re-paid reservation. So, the single desk person on duty at 6:30 pm was not able to check about our stay. The room was small,dirty and old looking, not well maintained at all. The carpet was very stained and the bed so uncomfortable that it felt like I was just sleeping on the box spring! The pillows were no thicker than 1-1.5 inches. As a result both my spouse and myself did not have a good night's sleep and left only after a few hours of rest. We paid $90 for this night's stop....I really wished that we had not made the reservation to stay at this hotel; in retrospect I would have been much happier to spend another $40 to drive further down the road and have a better room and rest at another hotel. Do not choose this hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CraftNovaScotia
Reviewed 1 September 2010

We stayed here because we had eaten at the Italian restaurant next door - which was open late and delicious, by the way! However, the EconoLodge was disappointing. There were dead bugs behind the night tables - clearly visible when lying in bed. The sink was clogged, so we had to brush our teeth in the bathtub. Since the sink was clogged, we got a nice view of all the random hairs left in the sink that came floating to the top. Nasty. There was a bug in the shower - not that big of a deal, but it made me wonder how many bugs were crawling near me while I slept. To top it off, I left my SoniCare toothbruth there - and when I called, they said that the maids take anything they find home, and I should call back the next day. Well, we were on a road trip, so it's not like I could come back. Those things aren't cheap! And do the maids just keep whatever they find? I would hope they would have a Lost & Found. What if I had left expensive jewelry? My loss, I guess. It wasn't very cheap, either.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank idrinkcoffee
Reviewed 2 June 2010

DO NOT stay at this hotel under any circumstances!!! We stayed as a stop over on our way to Niagara Falls and it was a BIG mistake. The room smelled of stale cig smoke, my children from little brown pills on the floor, carpets were dirty, stained and peeling up, the wallpaper was peeling off, water stains all over the walls, and mystery stains on the bed sheets.... We paid $80 for the night and as a bonus I contracted Scabies. My doctor said it is most likely that it was the sheets...So $244.00 worth of medication later to get rid of the scabies Ewwwww. AVOID AT ALL COST!!! Sleep in your car you will be better off.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank mummycjl
Reviewed 28 October 2009

I stayed here in mid-August while attending a friends' engagement party. I chose it because of its location, and they give CAA rates. There were some saving graces (quick check in, relatively clean overall), but the cons outweighed the pros on this stay.

We arrived at roughly 7 pm, and were quickly checked in. We were directed to one of the rooms around back. The parking lot out back needed serious work, and the edges were overgrown with weeds. I suspected that they hadn't hired anyone to do any groundskeeping all summer (I didn't expect an allergy attack in the middle of the city).

The room was small and outdated, but fairly clean. The towels did look dirty and stained. We got replacements from the front desk, but these were also stained. It is possible that the laundry here has very hard water and they need to use more bleach. There was some mildew on the caulking at the very top of the shower walls, but the washroom was fairly clean otherwise. The toilet, however, required some coercion to flush, as the handle was very loose.

We returned from the party and discovered an invoice under the door, that they had invoiced my credit card a few hours after we arrived. I found this odd, as I travelled for work alot from 2006-2008, and most places that was part of the check out process, where they asked how your stay was, etc. We didn't get very much sleep, as we were both suffering from the weeds, and hadn't brought any allergy medication.

Breakfast was ready early - basic but functional. Some loaves of bread, muffins, and juice were out in the bar area with a toaster. It didn't look like it was running as a bar anymore(was in need of overhaul as well). Checkout was curt and quick, we were not really provided the opportunity to give feedback. In short, I've stayed at hotels in Toronto, Montreal, and Ottawa at similar rates that were much better kept. You would think you would get more for your money in a smaller city.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrvlnTech
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Where to begin. Upon arriving to the hotel there was an AWFUL smell outside. (Turns out theres a landfill site right behind the building.)
The front desk reaks of ciggarettes and there was a tall, lurky man behind the counter who seemed to be unhappy to see any customers and was trying to get rid of us asap.

We then entered our room to find stained carpets, broken curtains, a mouldy/mildew smell, stained bloody sheets, and the bathroom plug was hanging from the wall....need I say more?
The walls are paper thin so if you have loud neighbours dont plan on getting any sleep as the front desk could seem to care less about any complaint.

BUGS! When we were leaving the next morning it turns out there were roaches in our room!!

The breakfast consisted of stale toast and pastries that were store baught, with awful coffee and to top it off the receptionist "Aran" had the nerve to tell a couple "Don't you think you've had enough to eat allready?" How rude!

I would NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. Pay the extra cash and get a decent sleep in a clean room that you wont have nightmares about.

There hotel is not even a 1 star, and there website is false advertising and anything they claim to have (ie:iron, microwave, bar, lounge, gameroom, ice machine, etc) they do not!

The hotel NEEDS an upkeep and to be completely renovated. I am uphauled that Choice Hotels even lets this hotel represent them!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YoungCouple88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cornwall
0.5 km away
0.9 km away
First Canada Inns
First Canada Inns
#5 of 12 in Cornwall

Been to Howard Johnson Cornwall? Share your experiences!