“Lovely B&B” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 31 Canmore B&B and Inns
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Lovely B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed in this B&B in june 2011 for two nights. We arrived at the Ambleside Lodge straight from the airport. Canmore is an excellent alternative for Banff. A couple of miles away but still a perfect start for the Icefields Parkway.

The B&B has a nice, big sitting room. The rooms are not very big but comfortable and most importantly clean. The rooms have everything you could wish for, coffee/tea, shampoo, showergel etc. The best thing of this B&B however is the breakfast! We didn't know it at that time since this was our first stop, but at the end of the trip we concluded that these were the best breakfasts we had in Canada. It was practically three course, we would start with fruit, after that something with eggs. First day we had scrambled eggs with smoked salmon, the second day eggs benedict. After that Sue would also make us fresh muffins and scones. Perfect! We would recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Elgin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2012

The second time for me, staying with Sue and Dave in their fantastic house. Superb breakfast enjoyed in a beautiful house located in the heart of Canmore.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Burghead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Another fantastic stay at Ambleside Lodge at Canmore in Canada, the wonderful setting and ambiance of the house is incredible. The breakfast are the prefect start to a day in the outdoors and the muffins incredible. Sue is a wonderful hostess.and to me this place is heaven!,

Room Tip: The CPR Room is incredible.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2012

The CPR room was nice and clean, very comfortable bed. It has a very small TV but hey thats not why we went to the mountains. Sue and Dave were very friendly and quite helpful suggesting appropriate hikes and restaurants (Sue even got us in to a popular restaurant last minute for my birthday). The eggs benny in the morning was by far the best we've ever tasted anywhere anytime!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

Well.....my husband and I spent our second visit to Canmore at Ambleside Lodge AGAIN....in the same room! We arrived on Dec. 23rd and departed (sadly) on the 29th. Sue and Dave Booth, yet again, made our 2nd visit better than the first in July, 2008. I can't begin to explain how wonderfully we became friends this visit with Sue and Dave and also with their long time friends, Gerry and Sheila Chapman whom we met 3 years ago. My husband, Dennis, and I hiked in Johnston Canyon (per Dave's recommendation), Snowshoed at Lake Louise (per Dave's recommendation), Dog sledded with Mad Dogs and Englishmen (per the Booth's recommendation, see our review there as well)...need I say more. Sue and Dave made my "Big White Christmas" come true in every way. We were exhausted every night and could not wait for Sue's wonderful breakfasts every morning! We even had the honour of snow shoeing with Sue, Dave, Gerry, and Sheila on Boxing day with a lovely picnic in the snow afterwards! All courtesy of Sue and Dave.......Hot Chocolate and Bailey's, freshly made cookies.....with hamburger's heated on the firepit! It was the most perfect day for us South Carolinians who rarely if ever see snow covered mountains that beautiful! I am already pushing for a repeat trip this Christmas........of course at Ambleside Lodge with our wonderful friends and host, Sue and Dave. If I had my way, I would be back there ever Christmas at Ambleside Lodge. We have been more than pleased with our accommodations at Ambleside and will continue to request the same room. It's like going home......Loves and Hugs to Sue Dave, Gerry, Sheila and Nic! WE WILL RETURN!!!

Renee' and Dennis from the warm south!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank Renee and Denni... Z
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2011

I was looking for a quiet place to stay in the rockies for a weekend and do some writing. Ambleside was just the thing and Sue and Dave were more than accommodating and welcoming. I had the wilderness room which is a bit smaller but the bathroom is a little more private with a tub than the other one. I found the bed to be very cozy and warm and there was a little space heater in the closet one could use it is was chilly - I left it on in the bathroom which they said was fine. Only thing I found a bit uncomfortable was trying to read/write in bed as the bed is up against an angled wall/roof so you can't sit upright in bed - I used all 4 pillows on the bed and managed it that way.

The breakfasts were fabulous, I didn't really need to eat again for hours. It usually consisted of fresh fruit and yogurt, then some sort of hot dish. In my four days I had some sort of "house toast" two pieces of toast in the shape of a house with spinach, mushrooms and a poached egg; quiche one morning; an eggs bennie with smoked salmon, and pancakes (my request which was accommodated).

The only drawback of the lodge, which I really don't think would normally be an issue - is that there is no private sitting area or living room for the guests. Basically we sat in the same living room as the residents. For the most part I usually enjoy mingling and there was always a nice warm roaring fire to sit by, but for this trip where I was trying to write there were often a lot of people coming and going (they have two other guests from UK there right now, and their son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter live downstairs) during the day and evening which was a bit much for working. If you are just having breakfast and out in the mountains for the day like most people coming to Canmore then I double it would be an issue. I would like to return with my husband and have a weekend together.

Overall a great lodge, great food, great room, great people. I will be back.

Room Tip: Choose the wilderness room if you want more privacy and a tub, choose the Railway room if you want m...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Fort McMurray, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

We spent the past weekend with Sue and Dave, and we must say this was the most lovely experience. Sue creates the most beautiful homestyle breakfasts with a gourmet flare and Dave's knowledge of Canmore and surrounding areas as well as his willingness to share that knowledge and anything else that can be of assistance in making your time spent in the rockies more pleasing, is unsurpassed.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple