“Excellent cuisine in Canmore!”

The Trough Dining Co.
Ranked #1 of 134 Restaurants in Canmore
Price range: US$12 - US$30
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located just one block away from Main Street.
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

We visited the TroUgh on recommendations from a young man on a tour we were on and he did not steer us wrong. We were able to walk in on a Tues evening and sit outside but would have needed reservations for an inside table (and my guess is for any weekend for sure).
My friend and I had the frilled pork chop that had been smoked and brined and we both agreed it may have been the best we have tasted. The meal was complete with smashed potatoes & grilled zucchini! Only thing left were the bones( which I would have liked to have gnawed on but it is a rather nice restaurant)
My husband had the fish dish with mussels, scallops and fish in a tomato broth/sauce - he said he come back to Canmore just for that!

Reviewed September 4, 2017

Great restaurant if you are looking for a refined menu in an upscale quiet space. Good location on a nice quiet street. We had dinner on the covered patio.

Reviewed September 2, 2017

We had a very good dinner. I had the smoked pork chop which was excellent and my wife had the Artic Char which she also liked very much. We did not like the Bruschetta since it had a little too much balsamic for us. Our only complaint was that our waitress was busy talking to some locals at another table the entire time we were at the restaurant. Getting her attention was nearly impossible. We literally had to get up to leave before we could get our check.

1  Thank JC0420
Reviewed August 30, 2017

Being a celiac anyone else who is one will know that you double check & triple check with the restaurant that they can cater for this (or as best they can). When a table was booked the question was asked about GF options as I am celiac? the response being 'no problem at all we have a gluten free menu'. It was a surprise birthday meal and anyone who lives in Canmore will know this is a pricey place to eat so it is a treat that you can only do once on a rare occassion. When we arrived it was checked again about GF options/celiac & also with the server same question, same response. Looking at the menu which is unusual to have so many options available I questioned the 1st item, ribs & polenta fries, I asked if they have a seperate fryer? Oh no we put them in with the wontons, I mentioned that they would not be GF so didn't order that as concerned what sauce was on the ribs? I ordered another pork dish which was fine, nothing out of this world for the price but very edible....until about an hour or so later when the effects started of having been given gluten (again a celiac person will know what I'm talking about). I was not well all night and for days after. I emailed the restaurant to let them know and asked that they scrutinise their GF menu as what they think is gluten is not & so the ill effects would not happen to another person, I was asked for my contact # & I would receive a call & an apology for cross contamination!, that was 2 weeks ago and nothing. The days of very little sleep, looking very pale, bloated stomach, stomach pains and then not being able to retain any food for days so not taking in any nutrients is not just cross contamination, that was full blown 'glutenised'. So to make it easier for a celiac or anyone with a genuine gluten intolerance do not even think of going to eat here. It a lot of money to flush down the toilet. The owner needs to either remove 'GF menu' completely or actually do some research on what is gluten free as it's amazing what information is available on the internet and celiac websites. I understand when eating out there is a risk of cross contamination which I know what reaction I get to that but seriously this was just nasty.

2  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed August 28, 2017

My wife and I arrived in Canmore from Calgary on Tuesday night, and decided to try Trough based on others' reviews. We were not disappointed.

It was a warm evening, so we sat outside on their lovely patio. Anne, our server, could not have been nicer or more welcoming. We started by sharing the terrific beet salad.
My wife then had the spectacular cioppino, and I had the arctic char. Both were amazing, especially when you consider Canmore isn't exactly close to any ocean. (Richard, the owner, explained they have fresh seasfood flown in twice a week).

In addition to the food, we loved the presentation--each dish was serve beautifully on interesting plates.

One additional note--we had a couple of dinners in Banff on subsequent nights--none were better than our dinner at Trough.

1  Thank ericsternbach