See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Booked my room over a week in advance. Have stayed here at least 5 times before and knew it wasn't top quality but have been over all satisfied enough to re-book. Unfortunately, this time will have to be the last.

Booked online expecting to pay the rate displayed on their website. Informed on arrival that $10 more is added when booking online (through booking,com). This fee was not disclosed upon booking. I was not willing to pay more, nor was I willing to accept a one-bed room (one adult, two children). Told the in-room phones were down and no one could come to fix it before the following day.

Quickly checked into the room and found the mini fridge was not on. Understandable as they did not expect anyone to be using that room- I'm sure they would have turned on the fridge in the room they expected me to take. Put our breakfast in the fridge hoping for the best and went on with our day.

Came back to the room in the evening. Youngest child wanted a bath- the lever to turn off the shower head was broken. Had to lay the shower head in the bathtub to fill it. Tub had a filthy soap ring around it. Shampoo packets were very difficult to open as they have no tear tabs and actually show they require scissors to open. I didn't bring mine. :/

Old, dirty Slurpee cup was found by my youngest just under one of the beds. I left it there.

Beds uncomfortable. Maybe I've been spoiled by my own mattress at home, but these were horrible to me and I slept only about 5 broken hours.

Morning coffee: The coffee maker was stored on the counter to the left of the sink. There is no outlet there. The only available outlets are: on the OTHER side of the sink (had to balance the tray on the edge of the sink to run it as there wasn't enough room for it there. The other two outlets are near the front door (the a/c unit uses it), the one the alarm clock and lamp are plugged into near the bed (none unused), and the one the TV and fridge are plugged into. There was one available outlet there for me to charge my phone but I was worried about plugging it in there.

Received an email at 6am from cooking.com telling me that my booking had been cancelled. Reason: I had not checked in. It said I would be charged the full amount,. I quickly emailed them back to tell them the truth so I would not be charged the fee. Heard back within two hours that the hotel confirmed I did stay there and therefore would not be charged the cancellation fee.

The positives: I love the location and will be sad to have to find a new hotel when I come to visit. It is right in the neighbourhood I grew up in so I enjoy being here- it's as close to home as I can get. Also when we first walked in, the room actually smelled clean. It is a non-smoking room and does not smell like anyone had ever violated that rule. It is also a fairly decent sized room. As well, in the summer we love the pool. The surroundings are beautiful and the water is never too cold- although we only have ever used the pool on two different stays.

Room Tip: On one of my previous trips we stayed around the middle of the hotel and could her our neighbours talking all night. This time we stayed at the end (27) and heard nothing. There may have not been anyone in the room beside us, but this is likely your best bet if you need to beds. That is- if they fix the shower.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed for 11 nights in July 2013, arriving at 1.30 am because of flight difficulties - the staff were very welcoming and friendly. Our room was spacious, clean and comfortable with parking right outside - a typical old-style motel. Heard no noise from other vehicles coming and going.
A/C coped well during a period of extremely hot weather, and there is a fridge to keep cold drinks etc. The pool is well-maintained and the garden area is kept nice. Brothers and Los Cabos restaurants both within easy walking distance - and plenty of others within a short drive. Overall great value.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Saguaro99
Reviewed May 4, 2013

I don't think it is a hidden pearl but we were very happy stayed here two nights.
If your activities are on the east side then the location is ok, to go to the west side or Hamilton, it might take a while, Toronto is big...
If you are surprised because they ask for the $$ on arrival, then you clearly don't travel on a budget very often. It's also probably why that couple wasn't impressed.
We all have different standards
Slow wifi
Pool was covered in snow.

• Stayed: January 2013
3  Thank Chrisnas
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I am baffled by most of these reviews, as my husband read these prior to booking a room there. We arrived to a very run down motel where the lady asked us to pay upfront. We were surprised and said so...but her English wasn't very good. We walked into the room and we're not impressed one bit! The Snell was awful!!! There were cob webs along the walls, spiders crawling on walls, the bed felt like a boxspring, so my husband went to the office to complain. She said the maid didn't do a very good job...and took us to another room. Same deal. So my husband told her he would just get a refund. She and her husband gave us our $ back and we left. never to return again. The amount of money they asked for this room is wrong bc you couldn't pay us to stay there! Perhaps this place was in better shape awhile ago..but seriously, the furniture was from 1974. Best to book elsewhere.

• Stayed: February 2013
8  Thank IamCanadian44
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Room was comfortable and clean and reasonably priced - met my objectives. Within walking distance to restaurants and corner store. If it was summer time they have a pool which would be very nice. I personally prefer small family owned businesses to big name hotels. The roof is being redone. Nice to see the owners really care about their property.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple