“Lots of good izakaya items for dinner”
Review of Izakaya Tsuki

Izakaya Tsuki
Ranked #39 of 484 Restaurants in Richmond Hill
Price range: US$4 - US$45
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Bar Scene
Description: Many People think sushi as the mainstream of, of sometimes the only Japanese food culture. Hundreds and thousands of Japanese restaurant entrepreneur and chef have been devoting their lives to introduce Japanese food with sushi, tempura or teriyaki in decades.However, they are still the tip of the iceberg.Now it is time for more.Tsuki's mission is to bring the rest of the iceberg onto your tableTsuki will bring izakaya menu from Japan, from everyday to seasonal, and from traditional to trend
Reviewed January 8, 2018

I loved the interior design of the place! The sushi chefs were positioned on a higher platform so as to be able to oversee all the customers, it looked like. The restaurant’s seating was arranged into quadrants with wooden partitions between each party. It was so nice!

We ordered a lot of izakaya dishes to share. I loved the variety of food we had at this meal. There were both Japanese and Korean items on the menu. They offered items like sushi, udon, ramen, nabe (hot pot), okonomi yaki, and lots of izakaya small dishes.

The Edamame was the first to arrive. I was pleasantly surprised with how large the portion was. The beans were a bit hard for my taste at first.

The Nagasaki Chanpon was a large pot of pork broth with veggies, pork, and seafood. You could add noodles to it too. This was great for a cold winter’s day. The pork broth was sooo flavourful and delicious!!! I didn’t expect that at all. The amount of seafood in it was generous too.

I haven’t had Okonomi Yaki in a while. This one was pretty good. It had the Japanese mayonnaise on it and was sweet and tarty. It had slices of pork on it too.

The Karaage was just okay to me. It was crispy and looked good but lacked seasoning for my taste. It came with a light green onion soy sauce too.

I also ordered an item from the nabe section. This Tamago Mushi was a Korean style steamed egg with shrimp in it! There was a bit of clear broth in it too which was really good. Comfort food to the max!

Last but not least I wanted to try their Tsuki Roll. When it arrived, I was surprised to see that the roll was made with purple rice instead of typical white rice. This was a sold roll; the size was not too big and the raw scallop on top of the dynamite roll was just to my liking.

I liked this meal and definitely wouldn’t hesitate to return in the future. The service was really attentive too; the server kept coming by our table to see if we needed anything and to clear empty dishes from our table.

Reviewed September 24, 2017

Went to Tsuki with wife for the 1st time on a Sunday evening since the intended restaurant was full. This one was not busy. Only 2 servers were working. Got seated by one of the servers who left us with 1 menu and left. Table was not set, and didn't even ask whether we'd like some water. Waving our arms to catch their attention to finally put the order in. Table still not set and no water. When water finally came, it came with the rice that was to go with the sashmi I ordered; but no, no sashimi in sight for another while, by which time the rice has gone cold. Seems that the servers didn't care how the customers were served as long as they get their food. Food on the other hand was fine. In all, not a good experience and won't return.

Reviewed July 4, 2017 via mobile

It is one of my family's favourite Japanese restaurant as there are lots of mini dishes that we can choose. Our favourites are the grilled ox tongue and beef sashimi. The sushi is always fresh with purple rice instead of white rice.

Reviewed April 11, 2017

I was there later an evening hunting for a nice asian/japanese style soup.
Waiters very friendly and attentive, no issues here and the menue is plentyful and covering a lot of different asian style dishes.
The soup I ordered had a broth with a really nice and authentic taste, including a nice input of meat slices and some veggies. However the ramen noodles were still not completely soft and cooked, so I needed to wait until tender which made the soup cool down a bit more.
However, the taste was still very nice and the amount was really satisfying.
All in all a slight spot on the overall performance, but I would go there again.

Reviewed November 5, 2016 via mobile

Came here to eat past midnight, and the food was still good. We ordered the tsuki don and chirashi don, which were great! We also had the tempura, but the shrimp was soggy and not good. However, the veggie tempura was fine. Overall good experience for a late dinner!