“It's a long way to go for very little”

Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Pembroke
London
“It's a long way to go for very little”
Reviewed 25 September 2011

If you are travelling around this part of Canada there are very few decent hotels. especially if you are touring and only want one or two nights.

This BW is very shabby and reminds me of a local leisure centre that's ripe for refurbishment. There are other chain hotels in Pembroke that have fewer facilities but are more modern, so try them!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank flipandjude
Lorryann, Public Relations Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
"We are very surprised with this traveler's comment about our hotel, and we wonder if they have us mixed up with some other city. There are several very good hotels in the Ottawa Valley, the Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre being one of them. We continue to be rated very high with Best Western International's strict quality and design inspections and we do receive many positive comments about the quality and comfort of our hotel.

We further checked, and we did not have any guests from London in August as this implies, and we question how this traveler would know about "other chain hotels in Pembroke".

In conclusion, there must be a mix up with hotels. If the writer should wish to contact us about this, please call and ask for the General Manager."

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Korean first
Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A very clean hotel. We had a queen + sofa bed suite on the 2nd floor. Very comfortable and quiet . Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious and very affordable. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anona1
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Hotel was clean and staff was friendly and accommodating. But there is a huge drawback to staying here. I was sent here on business and had to eat all my meals at their “fine dining” restaurant, because my company only covers me for the hotel expense stated on the hotel bill.
First day I ordered a large pizza, on the flyers outside it looked good, but what I got was a dry tasteless thing that only resemble a pizza. I ordered extra cheese, pineapple, bacon and mushrooms. Pizza showed up with very little cheese, pineapple that tasted like it was in a dehydrator, no mushrooms and bacon that was dry and tasted like maple syrup. Yes maple syrup. I had one piece and had to go to my room feeling ill. I later joked with my friends that I had a maple syrup pizza.
Second day I had a hamburger and fries. Not the worst, but I could tell it was Costco frozen burgers and Costco frozen fries. I expected more since there was farms everywhere in the area raising cattle; I would have expected freshly made hamburgers. Especially at the price.
Third day I had filet mignon. Ordered it medium well, got it medium rare with a side of ice cold fries and ice cold vegetables.
Every morning I had breakfast and my toast was black, way over done. The waitress told me there toaster was not working and the cooks had to put it in twice. I never returned the toast but the waitress stopped me from eating one morning to ask me if I would like new toast. Even the waitress didn’t want the customers eating it. They could have used the oven to cook the toast, it would have taken longer but I have never seen more than 7 people in the restaurant at a time so he couldn’t be that busy. This just shows laziness from the cooks.
After the third day I just started eating out and paying for it myself. Because of the quality of the food at the Best Western was so bad, I had to call my department and have them relocated me to the Travel Lodge,. I plead with the managers to step in and retrain the kitchen staff…

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank seanv_11
Barry M, Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
We are responding to this gentleman's remarks about the dining.
Every staff member has been questioned about this and not one person received any poor comments or complaints in this regard. Even at the front desk, no one heard of any problem from this person. He simply checked out - did not indicate he had any problem whatsoever.

Our restaurant receives tons of compliments from it's customers monthly.
We would appreciate hearing from this person directly to find out what really went wrong, and to try to accommodate his concerns in any way we can.
London, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Okay always good to start with Pro's:
+ Decent room size kind of a 90's feel
+Free Hi-Speed
+Good workspace

Cons:
-Boring location
-Only hotel around so i am sure lots of weddings so makes it quite noisy even on a Sunday night.
-Hall ways really low ceilings, makes you fee like a giant
-restaurant is pricey but you can go to the truck stop accross the road and great patio at East Side's in Pembroke
-pricey rooms as well 3-4 star pricing for 2 to 2 1/2 star hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MrTravel007
mckerrow
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have to say the room was fine. standard 2 double beds, clean, beds were comfy. but holy cow, 170$ in the middle of no where, when I booked a room at the holiday inn downtown ottawa, on a weekend for $120 and the room was superb! At this best western, you only get breakfast for 2, not for all the people in your room. Breakfast certainly isn't cheap either. an extra $10 if you want pool side. My husband summs it up... it's right off the trans-Canada and you pay for convenience!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Lorryann, Guest Relations Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you Angelina for your remarks.
There seems to be a misconception with travelers, that the rural or small city properties should have lower rates than big city hotels. Most all of our costs are higher than in the city, so we do have to charge comparable rates - property taxes are higher, electricity, gas, telephone, etc are all much higher. We pay more for specialized trades to service our equipment as these tradesmen usually have to travel from the city. Fright for all of our supplies is much higher of course too.
I hope this helps to explain why rural hotels with the same amenities have to charge usually equivalent rates as those in the city. Please feel free to contact me through our web site if you have any further concerns. We do hope to see you as a guest. again.
Reviewed 7 August 2011

The room itself was adequate. For the price, it wasn't acceptable. But the room wasn't dirty until we pulled out the sofa couch and saw the yellow stains all over the mattress. Bathroom was acceptable. Showers were nice. They had a play area for our little guy, and a swing set with a slide. HOWEVER, the play structure had nails sticking out, was not maintained. The food at the restaurant, ruined our stay. The buffet is WAY over priced for dinner - $22 a person for Saturday night! And the food was dry, old, and tasteless. The fruit was very questionable, the melon looked as though it had been frozen prior to putting out on a table without any way of keeping it cool. I didn't think the food coule get any worst until we tried the breakfast buffet. Stupid for us not to check it out first before agreeing... there were only scrambled eggs (hard dried and had been sitting there forever), hashbrowns, again had been sitting there forever, sausages (they were the best!) and dried old bacon. There were pancakes and french toast. Both of which were dry dry dry. And that was it! Not a large selection and VERY overpriced. So after breakfast I used the woman's washroom right outside and after coming out of the stall, there was a camera like what was used in department stores with the black bulb right there on the ceiling!!!! What the... We darted out of there, my husband and I asking each other if that was even legal. Something to look into and I plan to report it. We will NEVER stay there ever again.

Room Tip: Rooms were over priced
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Barry M, Manager at Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 15 August 2011
We are really surprised in seeing "Tismom" comments about our Hotel. With regards to a mattress stain on a sofa foldout, her comment is confusing as all of our sofa beds are completely made up ready for use and the mattress is not visible "when we pulled out the sofa couch". However, to satisfy ourselves, we inspected every sofa mattress immediately, and found no stains, except for a small mark from the folding mechanism, which was cleaned off.

Secondly, we receive tons of positive comments about our weekend buffets. Unfortunately, "Tismom" did not make any comments to the staff so we are uncertain what she is really referring to.

Lastly, there are certainly no cameras in the restaurant washrooms! Upon inspecting the ladies washroom, we think that what this person must have mistaken for a camera is a motion detector box that controls the ventilation system. However, it is vastly different in appearance than any camera. This detector has been in place for over 15 years, and we have never received any such comment of mis identification like this ever .

We would really appreciate "Tismom" contacting us so that we may get a better understanding of her dissatisfaction, and to try to correct some of her misconceptions. We strive to make every guest's stay a very positive experience.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 July 2011

great place has it all...rooms are great and clean, staff are also great....again this place has it all....

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
0.2 km away
Econo Lodge Pembroke
#6 of 11 in Pembroke
17.4 km away
Petawawa River Inn & Suites

Been to Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!