“Clean but VERY Overpriced”

BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Pembroke
Ontario
“Clean but VERY Overpriced”
Reviewed 14 November 2011

After my wife and I looked around at the other hotels in the area this seemed to be the newest and cleanest. We were welcomed with a smile at the desk and immediately told that there was a hockey tournament in town and there were 6 hockey teams staying in the hotel as well. We appretiated this information being given to us up front rather than learning about it later on.

We were given a choice of a King room or a King Suite with a jacuzzi tub. I figured that we'd go with the Suite as my wife would have enjoyed the tub.

What we got was a regular king room - the "Suite" part consisted of an extra chair and a mini-fridge. The jacuzi tub was a smaller than regular tub with two jets in it.

The room was clean but older and smelled of stale cigarettle smoke. The flat screen TV lacked HD (fine) but the images were often blurry as a result.

Even though I didn't use the arcade games I found it interesting that they were all old and had signs saying "Play at Your Own Risk".....if they aren't working well enough to be trusted then why are they in the building?

For $200 for the night (more expensive than our stay at the Mariott in Ottawa the day before) the room was not up to par. Up the road in Petawawa there's a new Quality Inn and Suites which was cheaper we found out the next day and only 10minutes up the road.

Did we get a good sleep - Yes, but it wasn't worth the price.

Room Tip: Don't expect a Suite - ask for a room that never allowed smoking
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beeker100
Lorryann, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 17 November 2011
I am sorry to hear that the room did not meet your expectations. It sounds like there was some confusion on the descriptions of the various king rooms available. I thank you for bringing this to our attention, and we will retrain the front desk on our various suites, as we have several to choose from, all with some differences. As noted, you were here during a hockey tournament, the games are in good working order, but we find it necessary to put up extra signs during these times. We are 100% non smoking, and we do try to eliminate smoking in the rooms the best we can, we do not "allow" smoking, but unfortunately we cannot control what happens inside the room, we can only hope all our guests follow our policy. Thank you for comments, and hope you will visit us again, and treat your wife to our "Tropical Breezes Room", which offers a king bed with a canopy, two person jetted tub, a private entrance to pool area and many other upgraded amenities.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed 9 October 2011

It was our third stay at this hotel. The room was clean and quiet. The food and service in the restaurant were good. The rooms are getting a bit expensive, but this is a growing trend among other Best Westerns and other chain hotels. Stil, we would stay here again if we were to visit the Pembroke area in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 25 September 2011

If you are travelling around this part of Canada there are very few decent hotels. especially if you are touring and only want one or two nights.

This BW is very shabby and reminds me of a local leisure centre that's ripe for refurbishment. There are other chain hotels in Pembroke that have fewer facilities but are more modern, so try them!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank flipandjude
Lorryann, Public Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
"We are very surprised with this traveler's comment about our hotel, and we wonder if they have us mixed up with some other city. There are several very good hotels in the Ottawa Valley, the Best Western Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre being one of them. We continue to be rated very high with Best Western International's strict quality and design inspections and we do receive many positive comments about the quality and comfort of our hotel.

We further checked, and we did not have any guests from London in August as this implies, and we question how this traveler would know about "other chain hotels in Pembroke".

In conclusion, there must be a mix up with hotels. If the writer should wish to contact us about this, please call and ask for the General Manager."
Canada
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A very clean hotel. We had a queen + sofa bed suite on the 2nd floor. Very comfortable and quiet . Breakfast at the restaurant was delicious and very affordable. Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Anona1
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 10 September 2011

Hotel was clean and staff was friendly and accommodating. But there is a huge drawback to staying here. I was sent here on business and had to eat all my meals at their “fine dining” restaurant, because my company only covers me for the hotel expense stated on the hotel bill.
First day I ordered a large pizza, on the flyers outside it looked good, but what I got was a dry tasteless thing that only resemble a pizza. I ordered extra cheese, pineapple, bacon and mushrooms. Pizza showed up with very little cheese, pineapple that tasted like it was in a dehydrator, no mushrooms and bacon that was dry and tasted like maple syrup. Yes maple syrup. I had one piece and had to go to my room feeling ill. I later joked with my friends that I had a maple syrup pizza.
Second day I had a hamburger and fries. Not the worst, but I could tell it was Costco frozen burgers and Costco frozen fries. I expected more since there was farms everywhere in the area raising cattle; I would have expected freshly made hamburgers. Especially at the price.
Third day I had filet mignon. Ordered it medium well, got it medium rare with a side of ice cold fries and ice cold vegetables.
Every morning I had breakfast and my toast was black, way over done. The waitress told me there toaster was not working and the cooks had to put it in twice. I never returned the toast but the waitress stopped me from eating one morning to ask me if I would like new toast. Even the waitress didn’t want the customers eating it. They could have used the oven to cook the toast, it would have taken longer but I have never seen more than 7 people in the restaurant at a time so he couldn’t be that busy. This just shows laziness from the cooks.
After the third day I just started eating out and paying for it myself. Because of the quality of the food at the Best Western was so bad, I had to call my department and have them relocated me to the Travel Lodge,. I plead with the managers to step in and retrain the kitchen staff…

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank sean v
Barry M, Manager at BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 29 September 2011
We are responding to this gentleman's remarks about the dining.
Every staff member has been questioned about this and not one person received any poor comments or complaints in this regard. Even at the front desk, no one heard of any problem from this person. He simply checked out - did not indicate he had any problem whatsoever.

Our restaurant receives tons of compliments from it's customers monthly.
We would appreciate hearing from this person directly to find out what really went wrong, and to try to accommodate his concerns in any way we can.
London, Canada
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Okay always good to start with Pro's:
+ Decent room size kind of a 90's feel
+Free Hi-Speed
+Good workspace

Cons:
-Boring location
-Only hotel around so i am sure lots of weddings so makes it quite noisy even on a Sunday night.
-Hall ways really low ceilings, makes you fee like a giant
-restaurant is pricey but you can go to the truck stop accross the road and great patio at East Side's in Pembroke
-pricey rooms as well 3-4 star pricing for 2 to 2 1/2 star hotel

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank MrTravel007
mckerrow
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I have to say the room was fine. standard 2 double beds, clean, beds were comfy. but holy cow, 170$ in the middle of no where, when I booked a room at the holiday inn downtown ottawa, on a weekend for $120 and the room was superb! At this best western, you only get breakfast for 2, not for all the people in your room. Breakfast certainly isn't cheap either. an extra $10 if you want pool side. My husband summs it up... it's right off the trans-Canada and you pay for convenience!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Lorryann, Guest Relations Manager at BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you Angelina for your remarks.
There seems to be a misconception with travelers, that the rural or small city properties should have lower rates than big city hotels. Most all of our costs are higher than in the city, so we do have to charge comparable rates - property taxes are higher, electricity, gas, telephone, etc are all much higher. We pay more for specialized trades to service our equipment as these tradesmen usually have to travel from the city. Fright for all of our supplies is much higher of course too.
I hope this helps to explain why rural hotels with the same amenities have to charge usually equivalent rates as those in the city. Please feel free to contact me through our web site if you have any further concerns. We do hope to see you as a guest. again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pembroke
0.2 km away
15.5 km away
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#1 of 2 in Petawawa

Been to BEST WESTERN Pembroke Inn & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!