“A lovely quaint bed and breakfast with a wonderful proprietor”

40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 11 Parry Sound B&B and Inns
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“A lovely quaint bed and breakfast with a wonderful proprietor”
Reviewed 16 October 2016

My husband and I wanted a Bed and Breakfast in the Parry Sound area over Canadian Thanksgiving so we could ride our fat tire bikes on the Sequin Trail. Can't beat the location of this quaint bed and breakfast on Bay Street in Parry Sound. Just up the street from the harbor where the sea planes come and go and the big boat that takes people on the 30.000 island tour. It's nestled on the side of a hill between two very different but wonderful restaurants down the street on either side of the place. There are three rooms available and we got the last one. I particularly liked it because of the western exposure and the sun coming into our windows each night we stayed there. Susan has been operating this B&B for over ten years and she is a lovely capable hostess. The great thing about staying at a place like 40 Bay Steeet is that it attracts great guests and they are fun to talk with. This is no exception. We really enjoyed our breakfast with the others guests in the dining room. We've stayed at bigger ones before and this was smaller than we are used to but it was mighty. The breakfasts were elegantly served. They were plentiful and delicious very pleasing to the eyes too. We found this Place on Ontario By Bike because we wanted storage for our bike keys that was secure. Because no one else in the place brought bikesmit all worked out fine. I have to say the communication we receieved from Susan after we booked was friendly and very helpful too. All of the other B&B's have shared bathrooms in the area this one has them insutie. Ours was like in a real closest and at first we found it small but then we quickly got over that and were thankful to have our own bathroom. Great hot water central AC and being able to actually open the windows at night was soooh wonderful after experiencing such a hot summer I the USA. The place is full of neat old furniture and antiques but the beds and linens are very comfortable plus the fluffy white towels were wonderful. One night we went to dinner at one of those restaurants down the street and the second night we had wine and food from a local grocery store for supper on the porch which is glassed in with a table and chairs. It was so relaxing to hand out there in the sunset and just enjoy ourselves. Well is all very good except for one thIng. I forgot about the train tressle just to the east of the B&B. I counted the trains. 8 went by from 11 pm until 7:3Oam. It was shocking at first but then it got so even though you heard the trains it didn't really bother you. Of course my husband is such a sound sleeper he didn't hear a thing. The next two days after staying there I can actually say I missed the sound of the train as strange as that might seemed. So just be prepared eh! We would stay there again in a heart beat. We had fun with Susan and the other guests and it was nice being so close to the fitness trails in and around Parry Sound and on the Sequin Trail with our fat tire bikes.

Room Tip: The standard room on the front left side has a view of the harbor and the setting sun
  • Stayed October 2016, travelled as a couple
stayparrysound, Owner at 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 17 October 2016
I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Parry Sound - and took advantage of our great trail system to go biking! As well as being inspected by the local bed and breakfast association, we were inspected this summer by Ontario by Bike to ensure we provide everything we promise - including secure storage. I have to agree that the bathroom for the Bay Room is small, but most guessts tell me it is better than having to share a bathroom. Maybe next time you will be able to book earlier and take advantage of one of our deluxe rooms, which are much larger. As for the train, we provide guests who are light sleepers with ear plugs and recommend ways for them to decrease the noise. There are a lot more trails to access, so I hope we will see you again one day.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed 3 October 2016

I stayed at 40 Bay Street overnight on Sept 25 as part of a Romantic Fall Getaway package. The package also included at Sunset Flight at Georgian Bay Airway and dinner at Bistro By the Bay.

Susan was a very kind host and our room was beautiful and comfortable. The location was perfect as it was close to both our flight and to dinner. It was great to be able to grab a water or coffee ourselves at the coffee station outside our room. Breakfast was delicious and a nice experience to dine with Susan and the other guests. Check in/out was a breeze.

I would love to come again and enjoy all the beauty Parry Sound has to offer.

• Stayed September 2016, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaureenM07
Dear MaureenM07 - I am so glad you were able to get-away for a romantic night. This is the first year we have partnered with our neighbours, Bistro by the Bay and Georgian Bay Airways, and are thrilled with the number of couples who took advantage of the package. Our goal as a B&B is to make your stay one of the best ones you've had, and we appreciate it when you notice and take advantage of our little "extras". We hope to see you again one day!
Angus, Canada
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Wife and I celebrated our anniversary for the weekend in Parry Sound and stayed at the 40 Bay B&B. Very nice stay. Room was great with the walk out to the balcony. Susan was such a great host, very welcoming. Breakfast was very tasty!!! Location is great, walked most of the time as everything was close by.
Make sure to take the cruise, and dinner at Bistro by the Bay a couple of doors away is top notch, great food.
Joe A.

• Stayed September 2016, travelled as a couple
Thank you Joe A! I'm glad we could help you make your anniversary weekend a memorable one. We strive to meet our guests' needs by cooking our hot courses to order - and offering a choice whenever possible. Being so close to everything is a real bonus for our guests - and with restaurants so close, no one has to worry about drinking and driving. I hope we get to celebrate another anniversary with you and your wife in the future.
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 25 September 2016

Have you ever booked accommodation somewhere, and then enjoyed the stay beyond your expectations? That is what happened for my sister and I last week when we stayed with Susan at her Bed and Breakfast on the Harbor Front in Parry Sound. We were so well cared for, and made to feel so welcome, that it felt like a visit with
family after 24 hours in her home. Her breakfast was amazing and her company and conversations with us, were so enjoyable. I requested a harbor view room and Susan honored that request. We laid in bed and watched the activity on the water. Three days past so quickly. I would recommend her B&B to anyone that wants a quiet enjoyable break away, from the busyness of life.

Room Tip: Our room was the smallest of the three rooms, but we had the only harbor view. We had our own washr...
  • Stayed September 2016, travelled with family
Dear Lois C: I was so impressed with the commitment you and your sister have made to get away, just the two of you, every year. I think that demonstrates a special bond between the two of you, and it was so kind to include me in your fun! I am glad you enjoyed your room and the breakfasts, and you are welcomed to return any time!
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

We stayed at 40 Bay Street for 3 nights during our touring holiday. Susan was a joy to stay with. It felt very "home from home" and everything was wonderful. The rooms were large with views of the garden and had everything you could want, including free wi-fi and a flat screen TV. The breakfasts were beautifully cooked and plenty of choice. Susan herself was a mind of information and a wonderful host.

Stayed September 2016, travelled with friends
I love it when people come and have fun at the B&B, Sally N! Your group was a treat to host and I am glad that you stayed in our Deluxe Rooms - the extra space makes the difference when you are staying for several days. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip and made it home safely!
New Hamburg, ON
Reviewed 17 September 2016

This past week my sister and I stayed at 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast - it was like visiting your favorite aunt in her home. Susan provided a wonderful breakfast each morning and we invited her to visit with her coffee. The rooms are very clean and have all the amenities - even free WiFi and flat-screen TV.
We would recommend it if you want to be near the water and enjoy the small town northern experience.

Room Tip: You can have a water view with queen-size bed or rooms with king-size beds - we chose the view.
  • Stayed September 2016, travelled with family
Dear JoyceNewHamburg-ON: Thank you for sharing your experience at 40 Bay Street B&B. We work very hard at making sure that your stay is comfortable and you have everything that you need. I am glad you found the house and your room clean -it is a high priority for us. I hope you and your sister enjoy many more trips together!
Toronto
Reviewed 22 August 2016

Well appointed 'Spa Room' was so relaxing. Exceeded expectations at all levels: location, informative and welcoming email confirmation, helpful suggestions for Parry Sound and a generous and scrumptious breakfast... one night was not enough!

• Stayed August 2016, travelled as a couple
Dear Roberta H - I am glad you had the opportunity for a bit of a breather between your hectic schedule. It must have been fate that the Retreat Room was available when you needed it! Parry Sound has so much to see and do any time of the year - but especially as you saw, during the summer months. We want to make sure our guests have the opportunity to do as little - or as much - as they want during their stay, so we try to send information beforehand via e-mail. I am glad you found it informative and useful!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parry Sound
8.4 km away
Grand Tappattoo Resort
Grand Tappattoo Resort
#7 of 19 in Parry Sound

Been to 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!