“Restful night spent at 40 Bay Street B & B.”

40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 11 Parry Sound B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 July 2017

My husband and I stayed here on a Sunday night. We had booked a room at Tappattoo Resort, but upon our arrival there, were advised that they had no hydro. We were not pleased to say the least!
We googled places to stay on our phones and called Susan at 40 Bay. She said she had a room available so we drove there and arrived in about 15 minutes. She was very welcoming and offered us a lovely room with a King size bed and an en suite bathroom, and a little deck off the bedroom where we sat for an hour or two.
This room is called the Garden Suite.
The house itself is very charming right on the main street facing the Marina. There were a couple of restaurants just a few doors down, which was very handy.
We were provided with plenty of towels, toiletries, etc.
Susan provided bottled water which was kept in a mini fridge in the second floor sun room. There was a coffee and tea table set up upstairs and we had our usual chamomile tea before bed.
Susan made us a delicious breakfast the next morning which included fresh fruit, yogurt, blueberry muffins and scrambled eggs. We had breakfast with another couple from England and we really enjoyed meeting and talking with them which is all a big part of the experience of staying at a B & B.
We both slept really well. The bed was extremely comfortable.
There is a wee bit of noise from the train overhead. We both grew up around train tracks, so the noise didn't bother us at all; in fact, I found it to be quite comforting. In any event, Susan does provide earplugs, so the noise should not be an issue.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.
It was a lovely stay.

Room Tip: The Garden Room at the back has a little balcony where you can sit out. Quite a pretty view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
stayparrysound, Owner at 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

I am so glad we were able to turn your disappointment around and that you were able to take advantage of many of the amenities we provide at no extra charge to our guests. Hopefully, this was the first of many great B&B stays!

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Susan Poole, owner, personally welcomes guests and makes you feel at home immediately. The home is directly on the waterfront, adjacent to the CPR railway trestle, and the babbling waterfall, as it makes its way to the harbour. There are two sunrooms overlooking the harbour, one on each floor, and you can easily see the Island Queen tourist boat. Three en suite rooms to choose from - I was in the Bay room - excellent view of the harbour. Several nearby restaurants to choose from for your evening meal, or just up the street into town - are many more. The en suites were clean, towels fresh, and hairdryer and amenities included. Free Wifi and great TV reception finished off the room nicely. Breakfast was cooked to order and plentiful! Fruit, yoghurt, granola, followed by fresh baked muffins, and then choice of eggs, with fresh herbs from the garden, French toast and local maple syrup, and of course fresh juice and coffee. Susan shared the railway history of the house, and all about the other amenities to enjoy in Parry Sound. Definitely, worth a visit to 40 Bay Street B&B!

Room Tip: Bay best view of harbour, perfect for a single. Retreat overlooks the waterfront & trestle. Gard...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 October 2016

We recently stayed two nights at 40 Bay Street B&B. It is a beautiful house in a beautiful setting, right on the bay. Sitting out front, we could watch trains cross the tressel, boats in the harbor, float planes taking off and landing. We walked to meals, shopping and just down to the docks for ice cream and a close up look at some of the float planes. Susan makes you feel right at home and makes sure you know where to go and what there is to do in the area. Breakfast was delicious and we hope to return in the Fall again some time.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2016

My husband and I wanted a Bed and Breakfast in the Parry Sound area over Canadian Thanksgiving so we could ride our fat tire bikes on the Sequin Trail. Can't beat the location of this quaint bed and breakfast on Bay Street in Parry Sound. Just up the street from the harbor where the sea planes come and go and the big boat that takes people on the 30.000 island tour. It's nestled on the side of a hill between two very different but wonderful restaurants down the street on either side of the place. There are three rooms available and we got the last one. I particularly liked it because of the western exposure and the sun coming into our windows each night we stayed there. Susan has been operating this B&B for over ten years and she is a lovely capable hostess. The great thing about staying at a place like 40 Bay Steeet is that it attracts great guests and they are fun to talk with. This is no exception. We really enjoyed our breakfast with the others guests in the dining room. We've stayed at bigger ones before and this was smaller than we are used to but it was mighty. The breakfasts were elegantly served. They were plentiful and delicious very pleasing to the eyes too. We found this Place on Ontario By Bike because we wanted storage for our bike keys that was secure. Because no one else in the place brought bikesmit all worked out fine. I have to say the communication we receieved from Susan after we booked was friendly and very helpful too. All of the other B&B's have shared bathrooms in the area this one has them insutie. Ours was like in a real closest and at first we found it small but then we quickly got over that and were thankful to have our own bathroom. Great hot water central AC and being able to actually open the windows at night was soooh wonderful after experiencing such a hot summer I the USA. The place is full of neat old furniture and antiques but the beds and linens are very comfortable plus the fluffy white towels were wonderful. One night we went to dinner at one of those restaurants down the street and the second night we had wine and food from a local grocery store for supper on the porch which is glassed in with a table and chairs. It was so relaxing to hand out there in the sunset and just enjoy ourselves. Well is all very good except for one thIng. I forgot about the train tressle just to the east of the B&B. I counted the trains. 8 went by from 11 pm until 7:3Oam. It was shocking at first but then it got so even though you heard the trains it didn't really bother you. Of course my husband is such a sound sleeper he didn't hear a thing. The next two days after staying there I can actually say I missed the sound of the train as strange as that might seemed. So just be prepared eh! We would stay there again in a heart beat. We had fun with Susan and the other guests and it was nice being so close to the fitness trails in and around Parry Sound and on the Sequin Trail with our fat tire bikes.

Room Tip: The standard room on the front left side has a view of the harbor and the setting sun
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
stayparrysound, Owner at 40 Bay Street Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2016

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Parry Sound - and took advantage of our great trail system to go biking! As well as being inspected by the local bed and breakfast association, we were inspected this summer by Ontario by Bike to ensure we provide everything we promise - including secure storage. I have to agree that the bathroom for the Bay Room is small, but most guessts tell me it is better than having to share a bathroom. Maybe next time you will be able to book earlier and take advantage of one of our deluxe rooms, which are much larger. As for the train, we provide guests who are light sleepers with ear plugs and recommend ways for them to decrease the noise. There are a lot more trails to access, so I hope we will see you again one day.

Reviewed 3 October 2016

I stayed at 40 Bay Street overnight on Sept 25 as part of a Romantic Fall Getaway package. The package also included at Sunset Flight at Georgian Bay Airway and dinner at Bistro By the Bay.

Susan was a very kind host and our room was beautiful and comfortable. The location was perfect as it was close to both our flight and to dinner. It was great to be able to grab a water or coffee ourselves at the coffee station outside our room. Breakfast was delicious and a nice experience to dine with Susan and the other guests. Check in/out was a breeze.

I would love to come again and enjoy all the beauty Parry Sound has to offer.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MaureenM07

Dear MaureenM07 - I am so glad you were able to get-away for a romantic night. This is the first year we have partnered with our neighbours, Bistro by the Bay and Georgian Bay Airways, and are thrilled with the number of couples who took advantage of the package. Our goal as a B&B is to make your stay one of the best ones you've had, and we appreciate it when you notice and take advantage of our little "extras". We hope to see you again one day!

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Wife and I celebrated our anniversary for the weekend in Parry Sound and stayed at the 40 Bay B&B. Very nice stay. Room was great with the walk out to the balcony. Susan was such a great host, very welcoming. Breakfast was very tasty!!! Location is great, walked most of the time as everything was close by.
Make sure to take the cruise, and dinner at Bistro by the Bay a couple of doors away is top notch, great food.
Joe A.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Thank you Joe A! I'm glad we could help you make your anniversary weekend a memorable one. We strive to meet our guests' needs by cooking our hot courses to order - and offering a choice whenever possible. Being so close to everything is a real bonus for our guests - and with restaurants so close, no one has to worry about drinking and driving. I hope we get to celebrate another anniversary with you and your wife in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2016

Have you ever booked accommodation somewhere, and then enjoyed the stay beyond your expectations? That is what happened for my sister and I last week when we stayed with Susan at her Bed and Breakfast on the Harbor Front in Parry Sound. We were so well cared for, and made to feel so welcome, that it felt like a visit with
family after 24 hours in her home. Her breakfast was amazing and her company and conversations with us, were so enjoyable. I requested a harbor view room and Susan honored that request. We laid in bed and watched the activity on the water. Three days past so quickly. I would recommend her B&B to anyone that wants a quiet enjoyable break away, from the busyness of life.

Room Tip: Our room was the smallest of the three rooms, but we had the only harbor view. We had our own washr...
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family

Dear Lois C: I was so impressed with the commitment you and your sister have made to get away, just the two of you, every year. I think that demonstrates a special bond between the two of you, and it was so kind to include me in your fun! I am glad you enjoyed your room and the breakfasts, and you are welcomed to return any time!