All reviews waffle maker fresh waffles wi fi hockey game stayed one night hot breakfast maps
Reviewed October 14, 2018

From the outside, the property looked reasonably well maintained. The staff member that checked me in was unremarkable, she was neither friendly nor rude. The lobby looked nice and well maintained, but was pretty dark at the time I checked in.

The hotel lobby is on the second floor, which is ground level on one side of the building and a story up on the other side of the building. So, a room on the first floor feels a bit like a basement. There is no elevator.

My room was on the first floor. When I first checked in, I was pretty impressed with the room. It looked recently renovated, clean, and well maintained.

Upon closer inspection of the room, I noted a few issues. The queen bed had a twin sheet on it, an electrical socked was missing a cover, and several of the baseboards were loose - nothing major.

I left the hotel around 6pm for a hockey game, returning at 10:30pm and I was in for a shock.

Despite being billed as a non-smoking hotel, the lobby of the hotel had a strong smell of smoke. When I went down the stairs to the first floor the hall was thick with smoke, both regular cigarettes and marijuana. The smell of smoke permeated into my room and my clothes (which I had to wash as soon as I got home).

When I went to sleep, I found out the walls of this hotel are paper thin! All night, I could hear every door opening, every footstep, every toilet flushing, every faucet running, people snoring (seriously, SNORING!) and even the conversations of the people in the next room. Being a light sleeper, I barely got a wink of sleep with all the noise and awoke early with the sound of doors.

The bathroom of the hotel offered a bit of comic relief in the morning. The toilet in my room was ridiculously small and close to the ground. It is probably better suited to an elementary school restroom than a hotel restroom. The toilet was terribly at flushing things away. As a result, I need to flush six times just to get rid of toilet paper, which is a huge waste of water. However, the shower head is very low-flow, which barely produced a trickle of water. I fiddled with the settings without success. It took me almost 30 minutes to shower, something that normally takes me less than 10 minutes. I felt like I was trapped in a Seinfeld episode.

I couldn't help but laugh at the notion that someone decided to put an outdated and ridiculously wasteful toilet in the same bathroom as a ridiculously low-flow to the point of uselessness shower head.

I skipped the breakfast in the morning. While the continental breakfast (grains only) looked OK, there was limited seating and I had nowhere to eat.

All in all, the hotel was clean and comfortable. But the paper thin walls and comical maintenance make this hotel one to visit as a last resort only.

Bring your ear plugs!

Room tip: Top floor is probably quieter, avoid the first floor.
Date of stay: October 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 3, 2018

What's right: a happy smiling reception on arrival late at night.
What's wrong: so much, here's a shortlist.
1) Other guests partying late into the night (3am) on the patio and parking areas outside the lower level rooms, smoke drifting in, even to the corridors.
2) Hotel workers in the same space early in the mornings, chatting and smoking so the windows/doors had to remain closed.
3) The mess and stink of butts and cans.
4) A very poor breakfast selection which included stale bread. Styrofoam cups and plates - really? Is this the best a hotel can do these days? The breakfast area is also used to fold laundry at night and the smell remains.
5) Apart from the initial late night reception, staff who appeared to hate their jobs and had little idea of how to treat guests.
6) The rooms and corridor on the lower floor feel damp, probably because the laundry area is there and the doors to the washers are always open.
7) Waited for many minutes to give our views to reception at check-out but gave up waiting as the one slow member of staff took so long to deal with a single person ahead of us, with no hint of acknowledgement towards us.
Overall a very tired hotel, clearly lacking investment in staff training, the rooms and grounds. Is a hotel responsible for the anti-social activities of some guests? Probably not, although good management would at least have reminded them of their responsibilities to others.
There are probably worse places, we just hope we never stay in them.

Room tip: Avoid the lower floor which faces onto the parking area.
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank deedub47
Reviewed October 3, 2018

Stayed here one night before a medical appointment at the GBRHC. Hotel is getting quite tired looking but rooms are nice for the price and comfortable beds.
The bathroom appeared renovated with granite vanity and there was a small fridge and microwave.
Breakfast was included and not great. Lukewarm weak coffee.

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 3, 2018

It was a great experience to stay in Owen Sound.
Nice and clean during the stay.
The bed was very comfortable. I had a great sleep.
Front desk staffs are very friendly and breakfast was great.
Also, it was very quite.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel with my 2-children- booked online. Arrived just after 10pm with our suitcases and were given a room on the lower level- no elevators, had to haul our stuff down the stairs to a room across from the housekeeping laundering and maintenence room. Rooms could use an update, bathroom were small and had no shelving so our towels and facecloths were folded and placed on the toilet tank. After getting set for bed, one flush of the toilet and it would not stop running— sounded like a very loud faucet that would not stop running (no, not a soothing stream or river either). I called the desk to fix it since it was quite loud even with the door closed. The woman tinkered with the chains and plugs in the toilet tank for awhile and eventually “fixed” it- asked her to do one flush to test it before she tried to rush off, it was not fixed. After more attempts, unsuccessful flushes and non-stop water running she said she would call maintenence— it was just after 1130pm and we just spent the day doing a long winded 7-hour drive in crummy conditions. 1145pm— maintenence was asleep, she tried to show me how to dig around the toilet tank and fix it myself if either my children or I wanted to use the toilet. I was not paying over $170.00/night for this! So she proceeded to try to fix it again. I could not understand how noone before me had not once ever complained about this horrible noise or experience— she herself admitted it was quite loud and can be heard from the hall outside. I asked about moving to another room, she said there was none. I checked online— there were 3 exact rooms available for that night. It took another 30minutes to fix, she later said noone ever complained because the room she put us in was where the maintenence person usually stays and is not typically filled with customers. An absolute horrible experience- I typically dont mind travelodge but this was a TERRIBLE place to stay. Will not ever stay here again— apologizing does not fix this rotten experience.

Date of stay: July 2018