Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
The Walper Hotel(Kitchener)
  • Restaurant
Kitchener Motel(Kitchener)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed here for one night and weren't overly impressed.
The room we were given was in the old section and impossible to find. The hotel staff didn't even direct us to our room. We had to go down a hallway, up a staircase, through a corridor and around a corner just to get our room. The room itself was alright, but we shared a balcony with many other rooms.The only thing preventing people from breaking into our room was a glass screen door. I didn't feel safe. The bathroom was very run down and old. The bathtub was stained and the ceramic floor was cracked needing to be replaced. The bathtub was stained, and I didn't shower or have a bath because it looked dirty. My boyfriend showered, and the tap was on backwards, so cold and hot were reversed.
The pool was alright, but the pool area smelt like mold. The indoor/outdoor carpet needs to be replaced and the hot tub is very old, and shady looking.
When we got back to the hotel we decided that we'd go to the hotel bar for a drink. The bouncer-man wouldn't let us in unless we paid a 5 dollar cover charge each, yeah right! The bar was full of an interesting group of people, so we decided to just go back to our room.
The next day when we went to check out the main hallway was littered with beer cups, empty plates and garbage from various events held there the night before.
If I were booking again, I'd ask for a room in the newer section.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank abricadabra
Hojo11798, Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2012

I want to thank you for your honest review, we do not expect everyone to state that our hotel is perfect as faults can be made, mistakes happen. However when the hotel makes errors it sure does not only affect the guests currently staying but the future recommendations of the Howard Johnson Kitchener to future clientele.
I am truly sorry that you did not feel safe nor comfortable during your stay with us, I wish you had notified the guest services department once you were not happy, our goal is for all guests to be as comfortable as possible while you are with us.
I do hope that you will try our hotel again in the future. We have done some wonderful renovations and we are pleased to say that the bar that you seen when you lasted visited was privately leased from the hotel and is no longer here. Please try a newly renovated room in the tower section we know you will be impressed.

Best regards

Reviewed 11 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and we loved it. We were very relaxed in the newly renovated hotel. It was close to the places we needed to go and not far from the highway. The bed was super comfy and we loved that we had a new 40" TV to watch. We also liked the fact that they had a fridge and a microwave in the room. It was very convenient. It was overall a great trip! Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laurzies
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this reviewResponded 12 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, you are one of the first few to use the 40 inch television and the new bed. When ever you come to Kitchener please know that the Howard Johnson Kitchener is awaiting your return. Once again thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Kitchener.

Reviewed 9 November 2011

pattij
I have stayed at this hotel any time I Kitchener area. My whole family really likes the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The last time we stayed, the rooms had been redone and a nice loveseat was in the room. The bedding was new and so was the carpet. I love the pool and enjoy early morning private swims. There are lots of conveniences near by. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They have connecting rooms which is great for my family.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Patti J
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights in Howard Johnson. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff are friendly and the hotel is less than a minute walk to restaurants and shopping plazas. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe S
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have stayed couple of nights. very convenient location, cozy and good place to stay in Kitchener. Worth for the price.

Room Tip: Very quiet and cozy
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo