“horrible customer service. do not stay here.”

Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Kitchener
Toronto, Canada
“horrible customer service. do not stay here.”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I stayed here for 1 night during Oktoberfest, with friends in another room.

I was only able to sleep for 2 hours this night, as there were individuals in the parking lot directly outside of our window, partying all night. They were there until approximately 4 a.m. and returned at 6:30 a.m. for another 2 hours. This group had chairs set up, cases of beer, and were yelling loudly.

I had to call the front desk multiple times to request that this group be told to leave. The individual I spoke to at the desk was very reluctant to speak to this group and did not seem to want to help. I was shocked that he did not want to help. He also claimed that the noise was the result of people returning to their rooms from the nearby festival, however it was clear that this wasn't the case, since they were "camped out" for the night. I could in fact hear their entire conversations and gathered that they were tailgating before a football game the next morning.

The next morning, I went to speak to Kam Patel, the hotel manager, about the experience and request a refund. He mentioned that he would have to speak to the person on duty the previous night, and again argued that the noise was the result of people returning to their rooms from the festival, and basically accused me of lying. He also mentioned that the hotel does not make any guarantees on nights when there are special events taking place in the area, however we were not told this at any time prior. Regardless of this, while we would have reasonably expected noise from individuals returning to their hotel rooms at night, what took place was completely unacceptable (and I think illegal??), with or without any type of guarantee.

Mr. Patel told us that he would investigate and would give us a call the next day, but we never received a phone call. He also mentioned we could only get a partial discount, which is unreasonable as we were not provided with clean, comfortable accommodations, as is promised in the company's brochure. He stated that we would have had to check out of our hotel room in the middle of the night in order to get a refund, which is a ridiculous suggestion given that we would be stranded in a city 70 miles away from our home!

I contacted Howard Johnson corporate about this, only to be redirected to Mr. Patel, who did not respond to any of the actual issues in my emails and simply repeated the same nonsense he had told me in person. We never received a discount of ANY kind.

On top of this, the room my friends stayed in had a large amount of white, crusty stuff on the blankets...gross!

Needless to stay, these people do not know how to run a business!

Room Tip: if you like sleep, avoid anything facing out onto the parking lot. better yet, stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Laura H
Hojo11798, Owner at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Thank you for expressing your thoughts and concerns in regards to your past stay in 2011, please know we take all reviews seriously and understand that you were not pleased with your stay at the Howard Johnson Kitchener. We have been in contact with you via email in regards to your comments and concerns and have given you a discount that was returned to your credit card that I personally as well as Howard Johnson head office believed was fair.
I understand that you state that you were unable to get sleep and only received 2 hours of sleep, we do have it on record that you requested a cab around 11pm and returned back to the hotel late around 2am. Unfortunately due to the festivities in town, almost 95% of the hotel’s occupancy was attending the town’s festivities. We had informed all hotel guests at check in that we cannot control noise over the 2 weekend span of Oktoberfest. The other hotel members that you had mentioned who were seen making a disturbance were in fact spoken to accordingly and everything was quiet after that.
As promised in the email the general manager had sent you previously we do keep our promises, our hotel is 90 percent renovated and if you are ever in the Kitchener area again we would like to offer you a tower room at a discounted price. I am truly sorry that you had not enjoyed your stay in 2011, as that surely was not our intent; we hope to see you and your friends in the near future.

Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We stayed here for one night and weren't overly impressed.
The room we were given was in the old section and impossible to find. The hotel staff didn't even direct us to our room. We had to go down a hallway, up a staircase, through a corridor and around a corner just to get our room. The room itself was alright, but we shared a balcony with many other rooms.The only thing preventing people from breaking into our room was a glass screen door. I didn't feel safe. The bathroom was very run down and old. The bathtub was stained and the ceramic floor was cracked needing to be replaced. The bathtub was stained, and I didn't shower or have a bath because it looked dirty. My boyfriend showered, and the tap was on backwards, so cold and hot were reversed.
The pool was alright, but the pool area smelt like mold. The indoor/outdoor carpet needs to be replaced and the hot tub is very old, and shady looking.
When we got back to the hotel we decided that we'd go to the hotel bar for a drink. The bouncer-man wouldn't let us in unless we paid a 5 dollar cover charge each, yeah right! The bar was full of an interesting group of people, so we decided to just go back to our room.
The next day when we went to check out the main hallway was littered with beer cups, empty plates and garbage from various events held there the night before.
If I were booking again, I'd ask for a room in the newer section.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank abricadabra
Hojo11798, Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
I want to thank you for your honest review, we do not expect everyone to state that our hotel is perfect as faults can be made, mistakes happen. However when the hotel makes errors it sure does not only affect the guests currently staying but the future recommendations of the Howard Johnson Kitchener to future clientele.
I am truly sorry that you did not feel safe nor comfortable during your stay with us, I wish you had notified the guest services department once you were not happy, our goal is for all guests to be as comfortable as possible while you are with us.
I do hope that you will try our hotel again in the future. We have done some wonderful renovations and we are pleased to say that the bar that you seen when you lasted visited was privately leased from the hotel and is no longer here. Please try a newly renovated room in the tower section we know you will be impressed.

Best regards

Travellers are raving about these Kitchener hotels

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night and we loved it. We were very relaxed in the newly renovated hotel. It was close to the places we needed to go and not far from the highway. The bed was super comfy and we loved that we had a new 40" TV to watch. We also liked the fact that they had a fridge and a microwave in the room. It was very convenient. It was overall a great trip! Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laurzies
Hojo11798, Front Office Manager at Howard Johnson - Kitchener Conestoga, responded to this review, 12 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, you are one of the first few to use the 40 inch television and the new bed. When ever you come to Kitchener please know that the Howard Johnson Kitchener is awaiting your return. Once again thank you for choosing Howard Johnson Kitchener.
Peterborough
Reviewed 9 November 2011

pattij
I have stayed at this hotel any time I Kitchener area. My whole family really likes the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The last time we stayed, the rooms had been redone and a nice loveseat was in the room. The bedding was new and so was the carpet. I love the pool and enjoy early morning private swims. There are lots of conveniences near by. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: They have connecting rooms which is great for my family.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Patti J
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2011

My wife and I spent 4 nights in Howard Johnson. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The staff are friendly and the hotel is less than a minute walk to restaurants and shopping plazas. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Joe S
Calgary
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have stayed couple of nights. very convenient location, cozy and good place to stay in Kitchener. Worth for the price.

Room Tip: Very quiet and cozy
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Sang234
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This hotel was fun for the kids. The pool was a big hit. The rooms were clean. It looked like they were renovating. Our room was fine but the bathroom looked like the tub was painted with a brush and the paint was peeling off when you used the shower. All in all it was a short trip for us (hockey tournament). The kids enjoyed it which made it pleasurable.

Room Tip: ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family