Schneider Haus National Historic Site
Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Right in the heart of downtown

Reviewed October 2, 2018
browncondo2102
Kitchener, Canada
Home to the Area’s Earliest Non-Aboriginal Settlers

Reviewed August 26, 2018
burr6013
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

All reviews lots of history lancaster county historical treasure spring house victoria park learn something pioneer village joseph settlers attic life refrigeration interpreter fabric costumes community stories
Reviewed October 2, 2018

If you are out for a stroll or going to one of the many activities at Victoria Park, walk a few blocks over to Schneider Haus. It's a great little museum of days gone by with staff in period costumes. Free admission and events planned for holidays.

Reviewed August 26, 2018

A local landmark, Schneider Haus is the oldest surviving Kitchener dwelling. It was built around 1816 by Joseph Schneider (1772-1843), a Pennsylvania-German Mennonite who emigrated with his wife (Barbara) and children to the area from Lancaster County. Originally, the Schneider farmstead included 181 hectares of land (Victoria Park occupies the land where Schneider’s mill once stood, and the creek that powered said mill now runs underground). Today, the Georgian-frame house and out-buildings (a spring house for refrigeration and dairying, a bake house, a smoke house, a woodshed, a privy, and a wash house) serve as a living recreation of Ontario life in the 1850s. The site opened as a museum in 1981 after a short stint as a rental property (Schneider’s descendants sold the property and moved to a more prestigious part of town). Costumed interpreters bring the history of the place to life. A big “thank you!” to Kate for a wonderfully informative tour yesterday (October 25th) that included the cellar, the attic, the kitchen, the tramp room, the guest area, several bedrooms, the girls’ work room, the wash house, and the bake house. Note that the museum currently includes over 7,000 items (quilts, paintings, documents, leather objects, games, etc.). Schneider Haus is a National Historic Site (1999). During the summer, it is open daily from 10:00 in the morning (1:00 in the afternoon on Sundays) until 5:00 at night. It is operated by the Regional Municipality of Waterloo. Admission is $6 for adults, $5 for students/seniors, $4 for youth, and $15 for families (two adults and their dependent children). Budget about 90 minutes depending on interest level. Look for Schneider Haus National Historic Site on Queen Street in the heart of Kitchener. Free parking is available on the nearby side streets.

Reviewed August 19, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed the long tour I was given at the
Schneider Haus on a Friday in August. My guide was very knowledgeable and able to answer questions ranging from simple to basic. He was also very friendly and willing to explain everything from different types of plants to how the museum does cooking.

Reviewed August 4, 2018

I visited here for the first time ever - even though I remember when it was opened back in early 1980's. (Funny how you aren't a tourist in your home town). It was a little confusing when we walked in. Lots of instructions which added to the confusion - so we just walked out and looked around, and once we had questions we went back to get more instructions. (A little map of buildings would be helpful? Even one on the wall, if it's desirable to save paper?). We then walked into one of the buildings and the "any questions" question came up. I'm naturally shy, so will never ask questions - so the interpreter then indicated "I'll just start from the beginning". I was so glad she did because it was VERY INTERESTING. Hearing stories of how Kitchener was just a forest with a swamp (essentially) and how hard they had to work to settle the place. We had a very long chat with the intepreter - so glad she could see beyond my shyness. I was loving this place. I also found the quilt in the main house very interesting - another interpreter picked up on my interest in this. It's a lovely parkland which I had never appreciated. Found it very relaxing.
Finally, there was a temporary exhibition of native artwork there (quills, beading). It's very well done. Really enjoyed it.

Reviewed April 3, 2018

If you are bored, going to his house is definitely a fun time filler. Lots of fun events to go to and a lot of fun for the young ones!

Reviewed February 12, 2018

Learn how a family prepared for winter or conducted everyday tasks such as cooking, cleaning or preserving food in early Kitchener.

Reviewed February 12, 2018

As my photos indicate, it's more than the primary house, with several ancient outbuildings so you almost feel like you are in a tiny village. It was closed the day I took these photos but we toured it previously. Do check their web sites to determine when it's open. (Reopens Feb. 17).

Parking: I strongly suggest parking at Victoria Park, easily found with a map or GPS. From the park, cross David St. and you'll see a trail leading directly to the Haus.

Reviewed November 6, 2017

I planned on visiting this location, expecting it to be perhaps a 30 minute stay. We were there for maybe an hour and a half. We have a guided tour throughout the house and property by the most knowledgeable young man I have ever come across. I wish I could remember his name, but he defiantly made our visit one of the best parts of our trip in the area. I highly recommend a visit to this location, you will not be disappointed!

1  Thank richs194
Reviewed August 29, 2017

The Schneider Haus greatly exceeded our expectations. Not only was the house impressive and the artifacts interesting but the staff were "over the top" enthusiastic, knowledgeable, helpful and patient. Our 10 year old granddaughter was particularly impressed; not an easy feat.

1  Thank Brian S
Carolyn B, Historic Sites Supervisor at Schneider Haus National Historic Site, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2017

It is great to hear that we exceeded your expectations on your recent visit and especially that your 10 year old granddaughter enjoyed her time at Schneider Haus. Thank you for your comments about our staff. I'll be sure to let them know how much you enjoyed your visit.

Reviewed August 26, 2017

Our Japanese student friend enjoyed his visit to Schneider House in July 2016. He learned about the Mennonite immigration from America to Canada and the frugal lifestyle that the people endured especially in Canadian winter.
Each time we bring a guest to Schneider House, we learn something new. It as an important historical treasure to have in our community.

We're pleased your friend from Japan enjoyed visiting Schneider Haus in July. Thank you for continuing to bring your guests and sharing your positive experiences with us. We look forward to seeing you again!