“Awful experience”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Yuk Yuk's Comedy Club
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Went to Yuk Yuk's on November 23rd. I can say that everyone in that room had a bad time. The comedians were not even close to funny. There were hecklers who should have been kicked out way before they were kicked out. It's in a crappy room in a basement and just feels awkward. I would highly recommend never going here.

1  Thank Patrick B

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Before you go to the Kitchener venue you should know this is not a Yuk Yuk's building like in Toronto. Don't expect a modern experience. It is in the basement of the Walper Terrace Hotel and the restaurant serving is Rum Runners. The room is on the small side but good for comedy as everyone will have a good view. It is old, worn, dated and a bit musty. There are smokers outside the street door as well as the homeless and a few junkies too. But once you are in and the lights go down none of that matters. You are only there for a couple of hours for the comedy.
Our MC Mike Harrison was pretty amusing and had a killer laugh himself...I hope it's not his real laugh. Matt Esteves was not bad...a few dry spots in the act but overall funny. And Aaron Berg did a good job picking on the front row bachelor party. His act was a little vulgar at times but that's the chance you take with comedy and it actually suited him.
We didn't eat here and only ordered one beer so we can't comment on the restaurant other than our server was good. Also, we took the stairs so I'm not sure if there is an elevator to the basement for wheelchair access but probably.
Overall we would go again.

2  Thank rnr636
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my (and my husband and a couple of other friends) first Yuk Yuk experience and I got some laughter therapy out of it. Our MC, Darren Frost, was great - opened up and warmed up the crowd really nicely. I felt that Marito Lopez started out weak but I was thoroughly entertained by him by the end. I was a bit disappointed in the feature, Steve Dylan. I felt that there were many moments when his act was flat. When he was on script, though, he was good. However, overall a very enjoyable night. We had no problems with reservations. We also came early to have dinner, so had great seats at the front.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Check the reviews of the Rum Runner Pub. This is where the food and drink is coming from.

Went to the Saturday 10 pm show. Comics were great, beer as you would expect, decor and food.

Ticketing was messed up by the reservation folks. Not related to the club directly. The staff did a great job of accommodating us.

The front of the building was full of smokers and the smoke smell unfortunately makes its way down the stairs towards the club. As soon as you leave Rum Runner's you'll smell that nasty smoky bar smell. Other folks have described the homeless folks etc. Yes that's true too.

Upon entering the club I immediately noticed how dated and well nasty the environment was. We were seated in the far back which was fine. I went to swap a very stained chair and ended up with a chair that not have an attached seat so I had to go back to the creepy stained seat. Be careful not to reach under the tables or under the chairs. Gross! The carpet was mucky with gum and ripped. My chair kept getting caught in the ripped carpet. Thankfully it was dark for most of the evening so I didn't have the opportunity to get more skeeved out.

We'd planned to eat a snack and after checking out the list of bar snacks picked out the antijitos. I felt compelled to eat them because I was hungry but it was really boring and very small portion. Just one tortilla wrap with a vat of sour cream for $9ish. I think the server was embarrassed to serve this stuff. Poor woman.

The comics were great. Did a great job of interacting with the crowd. That was certainly worth going. I've been to two other Yuk Yuk's and never have I seen such a creepy room. Truly nasty.

As for Yuk Yuk's sure I'll recommend it. Just not this location.

4  Thank Lederfrau
See more reviews
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my second time here in the last year and I would recommend it for a night out with friends. You should get reservations as the venue is a little small, but that lends to the atmosphere. We went to the early show and had dinner at the onsite pub (rum runners) before the show. The food was very good and pricing was average, no bad meals among any of my companions. The comics both times we went were hilarious, there was an MC and a opener and then the headliner and all were hilarious. I would say that although the crowd was a mix of ages you should have a thick skin when it comes to the language. If that bothers you, this isn't the place for you. Two Thumbs up in my books.