“Amazing food”

The Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery and Kitchen
Ranked #32 of 72 Restaurants in Kenora
Description: Fresh roasted coffee on-site, craft beer, wine & cocktails. Everyday handmade pizza and fresh salads. CLOSED FOR THE SEASON.
Reviewed September 13, 2016 via mobile

Wow!! What a great place. The surroundings initially felt a little 'basic' in terms of furnishings, although the decor was pleasant. However the food was excellent, beautifully prepared, cooked and presented and Th e Lake of the Woods beer was great. The staff were friendly and efficient and the general ambiance of the place was very relaxed. It was too cold to be outside but it looked like there could be a fantastic courtyard with open oven/fire. The whole dining experience turned out to be unexpectedly brilliant. We have been visiting Canada for 2 weeks and this was by far the BEST evening meal we've had in that time. Well done to all the staff at the Broken Paddle.

Ashley N, Public Relations Manager at The Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2016

Hi Dilly4472,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery & Kitchen. As a new business, we appreciate all feedback that customers provide us so that we can continue to grow in the future.

I'm glad that you had a great time during your first visit to the restaurant! It's good to hear that you were served excellent food and that you enjoyed your Lake of the Woods Brewing Company beer! I'm also happy to hear that you received great customer service from the staff members. Thank you for declaring us the best meal you've had during your trip to Canada! That's amazing!

Thank you again for enjoying a meal at the Broken Paddle, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your tour of Canada.

All the best,

Reviewed August 24, 2016

Nice small cosy restaurant. Somewhat sophisticated but relaxed. They serve some of the beers from Lake of the Woods Brewing Co., but we found later that they're not as good-tasting as the same beers served at the actual Brewing Co. restaurant downtown.

Ashley N, Public Relations Manager at The Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery and Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Hi ChatNoir2,

Thank you for taking the time to provide Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery & Kitchen with a review about your experience. As a new company, we always appreciate customer feedback, as it allows us to identify what we are doing right, and where we can improve upon.

I'm happy to see that you enjoyed the atmosphere of the Paddle. We want our customers to feel at home and relaxed when they are here, so I'm happy to hear that you found it cozy. I'm curious as to why the beer tasted different at our restaurant as it did when you were in the taproom, as the brewery is our sister company and the kegs for the same beer should taste the same. If you could please message me directly at ashley@lowbrewco.com, I would like to hear more.

Reviewed August 24, 2016 via mobile

We walked in 6 kids 2 adults all of us eating lunch. When we got their the waitress sat us down and after going back to the back she came back and asked the 6 kids to sit at 1 table. The biggest table was 4 so this wasn't do able and explained that to her. She seemed to be ok with this. However the cook kept coming out and glaring at us I noticed it and my friend who was facing the kitchen noticed it too. Our kids were quiet and not running around. 2 of the boys went and sat on the couch not jumping or standing on it... Sitting in it. Again it wasn't busy the poor waitress had to come out and say my manager told me to tell you that the kids need to sit down at one table and stay there... I'm sorry but instantly I was annoyed and was sick but how the cook had treated us... It wasn't busy there were lots of tables open and no one near where we were all sitting. I have worked for resorts, catering and in the service industry and was never so turned off by a place in my life from your establishment. Then as we were leaving I asked the waitress for the manager who told us to make the kids sit down and stay there and she goes well it was the head cook. The waitress said the cook said b c it was busier early she didn't want people looking in the window and seeing all the kids and leave... Honestly what a horrible excuse. People still came in and no other customers seemed to have an issues with the kids so clearly the cook has an issue with kids...

Hi Adrianna Ambs,

Thank you for leaving your review about your experience at the Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery & Kitchen on Tripadvisor. As a new company, we are grateful for all feedback, whether positive or negative, as it allows us to recognize our weaknesses and improve upon them. We are still trying to perfect our operations while maintaining a high level of customer service for all of our patrons.

As the owner of the Broken Paddle has stated to you before, the Broken Paddle is without a doubt family friendly, as their nieces and nephews and neighbourhood kids and families are in and out of the restaurant every day. However, when other guests are in the restaurant, and when kids get excited and run in the restaurant, it can be dangerous with servers running food and drinks, and we'd like to minimize the potential for accidents. We do apologize for the delivery of the message.

Again, if you would like to discuss the incident further, please email Taras directly at taras@lowbrewco.com.

Reviewed August 24, 2016

We had breakfast two mornings and lunch. Food is pretty good, service excellent and nice to be outside....and no bugs.

Hi Woodinvilletravels,

Firstly, I would like to say thank you for taking the time to provide Broken Paddle Coffee Roastery & Kitchen. We appreciate all customer feedback, as it allows us to improve on our operations and service.

I'm happy to hear that you had a great experience here at the Paddle during both your breakfasts and lunch. Our servers have been working hard to provide both quick and friendly service, so that's excellent to hear that that's what you received. I'm also glad that you enjoyed the patio- it's definitely cozy and welcoming, and it's a bonus that there's no bugs. I hope that next time you find yourself in Keewatin you stop by for a meal or grab a coffee to go.

All the best,

Reviewed August 23, 2016

Today I went with my friend and our 6 children there wasn't seating available for us to all sit together so the kids sat at 2 tables and we sat at one. The waitress was friendly but must have been new as she was unsure of things but she was pleasant. However the cook standing at the counter glaring at as was not pleasant. We ordered our food and waited and the kids were really good sitting at their table but walked over to ours a few times to talk to us. There was no one in the restaurant at the time however there was some people in and out of the patio to the room for some kind of meeting. 2 of the 6 children (the oldest kids) went to sit on the couch and were talking. The waitress came out and asked us to have the kids sit at the table as her manager told her to do so. Again the cook came out a few times and stood at the counter and glared at us again. We asked the waitress who the manager was and she told us well actually its the cook who said so because people who come up to the door and see children might not want to come in. The poor waitress looked embarrassed to say the least and the cook never came back out after that.

The food is amazing no doubt about that and I'm sure had the owners been there nothing like this would have happened.

My friend and I also went just us last week and the waiter was new and took forever to get our order and drinks and we waited over an hr to get a burger and salad.

Hi Rachel,