All reviews windy ridge algonquin park small cabin the cottages the main lodge wood burning fireplace board games main lobby staff person extra blankets coffee maker games room frozen lake get away microwave boats kindling
Reviewed January 21, 2019 via mobile

We booked a cottage at Tally Ho for a weekend getaway to celebrate my husband's birthday. We wanted a place that was homely and not commercial, and that's exactly what we got. The cottage had a den with a fireplace (they give you a bag of kindling when you check in, and you can help yourself to logs that's are stored just outside the cottage) and television, a bedroom and ensuite. While our cottage wasn't built with a kitchen (they have other cottages with kitchens), they've managed to put in a small fridge, microwave and a coffee machine. The place is clean and overlooks the frozen lake (in the winter). They have a collection of board games, books and movies in the main lodge that you can borrow. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and they have information on all activities available in the area. We had an excellent time and will definitely visit again.

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I visited Tallyho many years ago and this past summer took our niece, son and his GF for q family vaca and had a great time. Nice to be able to bring our dog along. Water sports include free rental of small boats, sup and was great, 2 hour max was just ok.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
TallyHoInn_Muskoka, Front Office Manager at Tally Ho Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2019

Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed December 19, 2018

I recently booked a stay at the Tally Ho through Hotwire. I did not know where I would be staying until the room was booked. After booking I checked trip advisor to get a better idea of what I was looking for. As the property just switched ownership there were some mixed reviews and I was a little nervous about my decision. I called ahead to the Tally Ho to try and ease my mind.

After a brief conversation I decided to stay there and I am glad that I did. I had a wonderful stay. The rooms were clean and the service was fantastic. It is perfectly located between Huntsville and Algonquin to take advantage of both. It was just like staying at the resort from the old movie Dirty Dancing. It was a great place at a great price and I would recommend it.

They are currently updating the fireplaces in the cottages to meet the new code regulations but you can still burn the artificial logs which is much easier and cleaner. They provide the logs at the front desk and my understanding is that the fireplaces will all be updated to burn real wood in the near future.

I will be going back again as I love Algonquin year round. There are some great winter hikes and lots to do in the area.

Date of stay: December 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed November 18, 2018

I have been going to Tally-Ho inn for years. Over time it has changed quite a bit but has always been a great place to rent a cottage. Last weekend though I found that all that has changed. My husband and I checked in which was pretty uneventful until we were told the fireplaces were no longer able to burn wood and we could only use the paper logs. This was very disappointing since we drove 3 and a half hours specifically to get a cottage with a wood burning fireplace. The employee was not the least bit apologetic, she just said "it's not our choice". Then it was like pulling teeth to get a log. Apparently they are only allowed to give out one at a time. I went back to the reception area at 5:00 to ask for a log since the one we were given was burned. They had closed up for the night. Not only that but there were several guests trying to check in. There was a number we were supposed to call but no one answered. We went past the reception around 6:00 as we headed across the street for dinner and the group was still waiting!! We tried calling the number again for a log and still no one answered.
The next morning on the way in to breakfast we tried to tell the staff person at reception about the group waiting but she just rudely said "they got checked in". So apparently at some point they did manage to get into their cottage. I tried the number until 8:00 to get a log to burn and gave up. I also tried to tell her that and she just shut me down as though she didn't care no one was available and that we didn't even get the crappy logs we had to use instead of a real fire
Any time we've rented a cottage there before there was a DVD player in the cottage. This time it wasn't there. They had one we could use and had to get it hooked up ourselves which was fine. Guess what - the remote didn't work. Of course no one was at reception by the time we found out so we had to wait until the next morning. Someone came by and he told us it was the wrong remote. He came back 10 minutes later and said there is no remote. So no DVDs.
Then we went in for breakfast. Another change. It's now continental. It consisted of tea or coffee, toast, stale muffins and bagels. I really wanted some Oj but none of that either. We had prepaid breakfast so we went back the next day and it was even worse!! Our dishes from breakfast the day before were in the same bin and the food was the left over stale food from the day before. They literally just covered up the muffins, bagels etc with saran wrap. The food was not even edible.
After breakfast on the first day we tried to get a log and were given one. Again we were assured someone would come around and give us another log later on which never happened.
We decided just to go buy our own logs at Canadian Tire since we really didn't appreciate having to beg for a new log every 3 hours.
All in all it was very disappointing and such a shame. The cottages are so cute and have a gorgeous view of the lake. But, the resort clearly is not being maintained - the outside of the cottages are filthy and I've already stated the other disappointments. I guess we are done with Tally-Ho, unless some major improvements
When we got home I went back over their website and the change to breakfast and the fireplaces is on their website. I never thought to check since we've been coming to this resort for so many years.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Pascale N, General Manager at Tally Ho Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2018

Dear MBoyle

Thank you for providing details of your stay. They will be used to improve customer communications and service.

I am thankful that you have trusted Tally Ho with your “time away” for so many years and can assure you that we are doing all we can to improve the resort in as many ways as we can.

The temporary use of paper logs in the fireplaces is one of the inconveniences of those on-going improvements and alas unavoidable as our guests’ safety is a top priority for the new owners.

We are aiming for this and other issues to be remedied in the next few weeks.

I thank you for bringing this to my attention so that I am able to bring more changes to avoid this type of disappointment in the future and I invite you to ask for me directly should you decide to give Tally Ho another chance.

Enjoy your winter

Kind regards,
Pascale N

Tally Ho Inn

Reviewed November 9, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a couple of days and everything was great, despite the weather. It is close to the Algonquin park where we spent most of the time and when we arrived at the inn we were able to rest.

Date of stay: November 2018