Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
heatherpenni
Durham, Canada

Beautiful Resort...if you stay at the Lakeside Lodge!

2.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed Sep 17, 2019
My family and I were booked into this resort in July 2019 in the Summit Lodge rooms with the ‘Bed and Breakfast’ package. After receiving this trip as a gift, I looked up reviews and saw that it came highly recommended by many people for family vacations; I had high expectations going into this trip. We arrived at check-in time (4pm) on Saturday to be told that our room was “not quite ready”, as we watched more families and couples walk in and attempt to check in, we noticed this was not just our room but a host of rooms were “unavailable”. We were checked in 3 hours later...and given the keys to our room, that was not clean. We had towels outside our door, as well as in the stairwell leading up to our room, food was left in our fridge and the sofa had crumbs from what looked like Doritos on it. We called front desk and received an apology stating the housekeeping staff was understaffed for the weekend and that there were no other rooms available to be switched to as all rooms were full for the weekend. We were offered to vacat our room and receive a phone call when the room was satisfactorily cleaned, this was at 7pm. I cleaned the mess myself and left what food was in the fridge to see if anyone came to clean the room. At 11pm we returned to our room, after dinner, a bonfire and wandering around. The food was still in the fridge and the towels had not been moved, again a call to the front desk stated the housekeeping was short staffed and they had not been able to attend to the room as of then. We asked for towels and extra bedding and were assured it would be sent right over, at 12pm we still had not received anything and it never came (lucky we brought beach towels).

Sunday came with more struggles, at 8am, I called to speak to a manager and was told that they had not come in yet but they could be sent over when they clocked in, they never came. We attempted to go for breakfast which resulted in being told we were not booked into the hotel registry so our breakfast would have to be paid by Visa or gift card as the restaurants do not take cash, and it could not be billed to our room if we were not in the system. Front desk again to rectify problem, we were not checked in to the system and therefore all our requests were going unnoticed. We received a voucher for breakfast and went back to the room to get ready for our day. Here’s where things got better, finally! The beach was amazing, albeit the lack of chairs, the views were amazing, the lake was amazing, the amenities at the lake were outstanding. Our dinner at The Antler Steakhouse was beyond delicious, even for myself being a vegetarian. The evening was booked for the escape rooms located onsite the resort and it was a great experience for the whole family. At 11pm we went back to our room, that were supposedly booked into now. Our keys didn’t work, the towels still had not been moved and someone was smoking in the common area, INSIDE the hotel. Once again, a visit to the front desk did nothing, we were still waiting on towels so I requested more, a complaint went in and security never showed for the smoker and we had to get new key cards as ours had been deactivated when we were “checked in properly”.

Sunday, check out! Still no towels, still no housekeeping and no acknowledgement from management. We checked out early, and could not wait to get home. Two stars for the scenery and the Lakeside Lodge amenities. If you have a chance to stay here, stay in the newest accommodations as they will be upkept the best.
Date of stay: July 2019
  • Algotels
9.3 km from Deerhurst Resort
View more hotels in Huntsville
5,146 results
All reviews main building summit lodge bedroom condo maple restaurant rock climbing golf course march break dog sledding outdoor activities indoor pool cross country skiing beautiful resort winter activities family vacation water activities recommend this resort long weekend
Selected filters
Reviewed September 16, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I have been coming to Deerhurst for many years. Since ownership changed a few years ago, things have been sadly going south. New owners main focus has been on the new waterfront condos. The main Pavillion, (including hotel rooms within) has not been updated in a long time. Unfortunately, that is visitors first impression of the property.
It's so sad to see a hotel with such historical integrity slowly succumbing to such neglect.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank timeleft
Reviewed September 15, 2019

I grew up going to Deerhurst and always loved it. After 15 years, my husband and I went for a quick getaway and were so disappointed. We arrived well after check in time a d our room still wasnt ready. The room we ended up in had mold along the cocking of the bathtub, the thermostat in our room kept turning off (we were freezing), the furniture in the main dining room is looking very warn down, stains on the carpets and our breakfast was ice cold.

We could not have left fast enough. For the $300 we spent for a room, I'm incredibly disappointed and wont return.

2  Thank Jen K
Reviewed September 14, 2019 via mobile

My husband an I spent one night in the new Lakeshore Lodge to celebrate our anniversary. Check-in was quick and easy and we had no trouble finding our building. Even as we arrived I was glad we had payed the extra for the new building as the others appeared old and tired. The suite is a decent size, unfortunately the furniture seems too large. In both the bedroom and living room you have to sidle by the furniture to get around. The bathroom is clean and the shower is large but the water pressure is less than ideal and you can tell when someone else is using hot water elsewhere. The towels are adequate but somewhat rough. There is shampoo, conditioner and a bar of soap supplied. We did not use the kitchen appliances but they appear clean and new.
My biggest issue in the room was with the mattress. It is hard- like sleeping on the floor. I am not sure what I would have done had we stayed a second night.
The property is very nice and the pool and hot tub are clean and have a beautiful view of the lake. The docks are as other reviewers have stated- covered with goose poop.
Overall I think the resort could be great but for the price of a one night stay ($381 with no meals) I think there are better options in the area.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank PaigeDes
Reviewed September 8, 2019

Close to town. Great hiking trails within short drives. Beautiful serene lake. Great activities for kids.
Did not use pools but looked clean and inviting both indoor and out. Lots of outdoor seating areas for peace and quiet. Walking is hilly but they do have a shuttle.

Date of stay: August 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with RCI
Reviewed September 7, 2019

Deerhurst has a lovely location in the Muskoka area. It is family friendly (really. Lots of children) with golf for dad, swimming and water activities for kids, and I can’t think of what’s there for mom unless she golfs. We stayed in the summit suites, which are a bit on the well-worn side. The hotel and suites are tidy without being actually clean - if that makes sense. Summit suites do not have daily housekeeping, nor do they have daily garbage pick up or towel change. After three days, that’s about enough. The restaurant food ranges from mediocre to quite good. Steak and veg are nicely done. It was all together a mixed bag. Nice location, absolutely terrific staff, but the units, general cleanliness and food are hit and miss.

Date of stay: August 2019